Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: What road bike?

What road bike?

I'm thinking of buying a road bike for around £550-£600. Two that I am looking at are the Raleigh Airlight 400 2009 (£530) and the Specialized Allez Sport 2010 (£599). The Raleigh has higher spec Tiagra shifters whereas the Allez uses Sora but that's about all I know.

http://www.ashcycles.com/web/index.p...oducts_id=1679

http://www.jejamescycles.co.uk/speci...e-id52253.html

I don't know much about bikes and am in great danger of up-selling myself through researching too much. Haven't decided if I need a double or triple yet so that may be the deciding factor.

Any recomendations? I seem to remember the Allez being mentioned on here before but it may well have been the higher spec models.

Re: What road bike?

I believe the Allez is a great entry model.

regards to double or triple...how many hill do you plan to ride up?

Living in the Peak District I guess it will be quite a few hills so I suppose the 2 or 3 lower gears that the tripple has might be useful. I'll have a chat with a couple of mates around here and see what they ride themselves.

It's nearly as much fun researching as it is actuallly getting something which can be a big danger.

I would go for the specialized without a doubt.. i don't think you would be disappointed. I've recently bought a 2010 allez sport second hand for a bargain price. i do about 250 miles a week on it and it's an absolute pleasure to ride and a great riding position. The breaks/levers/front derailuer are sora and the rear deraileur is tiagra.
    I have previously owned an airlite too, but it was a few years old and didnt have carbon forks... which makes a world of difference, but i didnt like it at all, just wasnt comfortable and didnt look anything special either, but the new one does look pretty cool. just my opinion but i hope it helps.

..And the Specialized (mine is white) looks ace too, i keep getting asked by other cyclists which model it is because it apparently looks a lot more expensive than it is

Chris

Cheers Chris, probably leaning towards the allez at the moment, the main thing I liked about the airlite is the shifters which are supposed to be much easier to use. Probably not a big deal though, its all too easy to get hung up on one specific feature when overall comfort and riding pleasure should be the main decider.

how about up-grading the shifters if & when you need?

Master and MR

Bigfella they are both good bikes
    Just remember to get the correct size as it doesnt matter what spec it is , if the ride isnt comfy you will hate it.
    good luck

Quote Originally Posted by SEFTON View Post
    how about up-grading the shifters if & when you need?
    Always an option but in reality it wouldn't happen til something broke. Pretty well decided on the Allez given comments here and elsewhere and also looking on eBay there seem to be one or two bargains around.

Hi Guys,

Just been tempted by this Focus Cayo 2.0 Ultegra Compact 2011 ex demo on Wiggle. Just over a grand with a saving of £450.

Anyone got any experience of this brand? It appears to be a bargain on paper, nearest Specialized spec to this at this price also ex demo only has Tiagra groupo on it?

Decathlon do a bike for £500 which absolutely dumps on any the brand bikes up to about a grand.