Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: The Songs they banned...

The Songs they banned...

http://new.uk.music.yahoo.com/blogs/...s-they-banned/

The songs they banned
    Posted Thu 27 May 2010 15:10 BST by Music Editor in Shortlists
    It's almost exactly 43 years to the day since BBC suits heard The Beatles' ‘A Day In The Life' and deemed it too far out for the British public. It wasn't the increasingly experimental band's decision to bolt together a host of different sections, including the spectacular orchestral crescendo, that upset their ears.

What the network took great offence at were the lyrics, particularly John Lennon's supposedly druggy refrain of "I'd love to turn you on". Nowadays the landmark ‘Sgt. Pepper's Lonely Hearts Club Band' track is little short of an unofficial national anthem and no one would dream of criticising, let alone outlawing, it.

But what other songs from the world of rock and pop have fallen foul of the censors over the years? We investigated the commendably responsible attitudes of some and the hairbrain decision-making of others to compile our shortlist of the top 10 banned songs.

10 'When I'm Cleaning Windows' George Formby

The much-loved, ukulele-playing comedian's finest moment was deemed too smutty for radio broadcast in 1936 because of these lyrics: "The blushing bride she looks divine / The bridegroom he is doing fine / I'd rather have his job than mine / When I'm cleaning windows." Going on these rules, this week's entire Top 40 would be empty.

09 ‘Lola' The Kinks

Back in 1970, drunken romps with transvestites weren't exactly all over the radio. However, it wasn't the lewd backstory of this track that caused offence but the fact it mentioned "Coca-Cola". The BBC's strict advertising code forced The Kinks to change the offending lyric to "cherry cola" and the band found themselves with a smash hit on their hands.

08 ‘Honky Tonk Angel' Cliff Richard

Imagine Sir Cliff's utter horror when he realised that the subject of his 1973 cover was not a lovely little housewife with a keen eye on the kitchen but a brassy hooker with a bedroom fixation. The God-fearing pop star promptly banned the track himself and prayed day and night that it would not impact on his elevation to The Big House.

07 'Lucy In The Sky With Diamonds' The Beatles

Here they are again. The Beatles were on a rich vein of creative form during this period, inspiring many but upsetting others with their uncompromising vision. At the time of its 1967 release, Paul McCartney claimed this was inspired by a Julian Lennon drawing. Others, taking the song's initials as a massive hint, insisted it was actually about LSD. We're really not sure how they came to that conclusion...

06 ‘Love To Love You Baby' Donna Summer

This unstoppable disco monster came out in 1975 with a pioneering Giorgio Moroder production, falling just shy of the 17-minute mark on the extended mix. However, it also featured a series of erotic groaning passages, taped as the US star writhed around the recording booth. In fact, the BBC later claimed it contained 23 "orgasms". That must have been a long night in the studio.

05 'Give Ireland Back To The Irish' Wings

Sir Paul McCartney was never one to shy away from controversy in his post-Beatles career. Let us not forget this is the man who penned the ‘Frog Chorus'. But before that, he marked his departure from The Fab Four with this 1972 single. So inflammatory was the subject manner that BBC Radio 1 DJ Alan Freeman had to refer to it as "a record by the group Wings" on the chart show ‘Pick Of The Pops'.

04 'Glad To Be Gay' Tom Robinson Band

Originally written for 1976's London gay pride parade, this went on to make the top 20 in 1978. It may have dissected every aspect of British society's views on homosexuality with wit and style, becoming the era's official "gay national anthem" according to infamous activist Peter Tatchell, but that didn't stop the BBC refusing to play it. Ironically, Robinson now works for the corporation as a DJ.

03 'Ebeneezer Goode' The Shamen

"He created the vibe / He takes you for a ride and as if by design / The party ignites like he's comin' alive / He takes you to the top, shakes you all around / Then back down, you know as he gets mellow." What on earth were The Shamen singing about back in 1992!? ‘Ebeneezer Goode' was banned and eventually withdrawn, but not before it had gone to number one during the BBC's drug awareness week.

02 'God Save The Queen' The Sex Pistols

When Queen Elizabeth II was planning her Silver Jubilee in 1977, it's unlikely she was hoping to receive a special present from the ghastly punk movement or its obnoxious figureheads. But that's exactly what happened with this untouchable Sex Pistols protest anthem, which told the UK we had "no future". The public reacted by sending it to number two although the BBC were less impressed and refused to play it.

01 'Relax' Frankie Goes to Hollywood

When Radio 1 DJ Mike Read decided to draw his listener's attention to the debut single from a new band from Liverpool, it's unlikely he was intending on making them one of 80s' pop's most famous and infamous bands. But that's what happened in 1984 with ‘Relax', which the BBC banned only to see it go to number one for five weeks as Frankie Goes To Hollywood became household names. Good work Mike!

Re: The Songs they banned...

I always liked the fact that the Beatles waltzed past the censor with Day Tripper...

She's a big teaser, she took me half the way there
    She's a big teaser, she took me half the way there, now

What could they have been meaning???
    Simon Blease
    Monmouth

Quote Originally Posted by Wheeze View Post
    I always liked the fact that the Beatles waltzed past the censor with Day Tripper...

She's a big teaser, she took me half the way there
    She's a big teaser, she took me half the way there, now

What could they have been meaning???
    That she was cabin crew but a strike was called after the outward journey.

On a slightly related note... In Norwegian Wood the line "so I lit a fire, isn't it good Norwegian Wood", my dad always thought there was nothing sinister about it, and he just lit a fire, in the fireplace.

It amuses me that songs about drugs or sexuality are seen as shocking and taboo, and yet other more illegal acts are fine. Songs like this one from the Beatles: "You better run for your life if you can, little girl / Hide your head in the sand little girl / Catch you with another man / That's the end'a little girl"

This pretty much reflects the ongoing theme in film and TV censorship. Children can watch a film or a TV programme of someone killing scores of people, but not a film depicting people having consensual sex. It's daft.

Just dug out the 12" of Ebeneezer Goode, i'm listening to it now .
    Luke Appleyard (Wharfedale)- quick on the dissent

what about `my ding a ling`by chuck berry?

I collect FGTH rarities. Always loved them. Lots about 'Relax' in the book (which will be out some time this year, honest).
    The BBC also banned Heaven 17's 'Fascist Groove Thing' in 1981. Very silly.

The extended 17 minute mix of Donna Summer's 'Love To love you baby' came a few years later (mid 80s), cashing in on a 'new' 15 minute Patrick Cowley mix of 'I Feel Love' which had done the business on the dancefloors.
    www.robgrillo.co.uk
    IS THAT THE 12" MIX

I did too at the time. I particularly liked the 12 inch white label of warriors of the wasteland with Gary Moore playing guitar supposedly. Rock Tastic.
    They called me mad and i called them mad and damn them they outvoted me !!!.

Pretty sure this was banned, the video definately was and i think it still is.

http://vimeo.com/10458506

I did post the video then thought i'd probably receive a number of complaints so just put the link.
    Absolutely great track by a great band. Makes relax look like a children's song
    Last edited by The devil's own; 29-05-2010 at 08:57 PM.

I seem to remember Paul Mccartney's collaboration with the Frog Chorus in the 1980's was banned by some radio stations for excessive use of the word "bum".

Absolutely fabulous band, you can see why Top Of The Pops would never have considered it !
    www.robgrillo.co.uk
    IS THAT THE 12" MIX