Page 1 of 6 123 ... LastLast

Thread: A daft BGR Question

A daft BGR Question

Why has no-one ever thought of organising a BGR ultra event, along the lines of the Fellsman with food stops and all? I suspect the Bob Graham Round has just created its own folk law, customs and traditions by now and just has to be done as it has to be done but that said I suspect that many people are put off or just plain unable to attempt Bob Graham Rounds just on the back of all of the necessary organisation and D-Day size logistics involved.

Just a thought.....

Super Moderator

Re: A daft BGR Question

I don't think a BG has to be done as it has to be done and the responses to the recent BG attempts thread / wind-up kind of proves that. I also doubt 'necessary organisation or D-Day size logistics' put folk off. By the time you realise how much is involved you'll probably be well on with your training and it'll be too late What probably does put off many possible contenders is the sheer scale of the challenge. And in my case for a year or two, the author's experience in FITC
    Poacher turned game-keeper

Quote Originally Posted by Derby Tup View Post
    I don't think a BG has to be done as it has to be done and the responses to the recent BG attempts thread / wind-up kind of proves that. I also doubt 'necessary organisation or D-Day size logistics' put folk off. By the time you realise how much is involved you'll probably be well on with your training and it'll be too late What probably does put off many possible contenders is the sheer scale of the challenge. And in my case for a year or two, the author's experience in FITC
    Richard Asquith in Feet in the Clouds ended up putting a lot of people off (and inspiring a shed load of others) probably because he failed the first time trying to run with a totally knacked ankle and failed the second time by trying a second attempt far too soon after the first. He succeeded as soon as he tried properly didn't he? And hill training itself would have been a nightmare on its own for a London based Guardian Journalist.

Quote Originally Posted by Stolly View Post
    Why has no-one ever thought of organising a BGR ultra event, along the lines of the Fellsman with food stops and all? I suspect the Bob Graham Round has just created its own folk law, customs and traditions by now and just has to be done as it has to be done but that said I suspect that many people are put off or just plain unable to attempt Bob Graham Rounds just on the back of all of the necessary organisation and D-Day size logistics involved.

Just a thought.....
    If you don't mind not joinning the BG club, you could go and solo the round with minimum logistics, such as the odd food stash and/or possibly a friend to meet you at road crossings. Or you could do one of the other long distance challenges that way, without being put off by the logistics-that is what many people, including myself, do sometimes.
    Yiannis

Super Moderator

Quote Originally Posted by Stolly View Post
    Richard Asquith in Feet in the Clouds ended up putting a lot of people off (and inspiring a shed load of others) probably because he failed the first time trying to run with a totally knacked ankle and failed the second time by trying a second attempt far too soon after the first. He succeeded as soon as he tried properly didn't he? And hill training itself would have been a nightmare on its own for a London based Guardian Journalist.
    RA put me off because he never seemed to have any fun; either recce'ing or on his actual rounds. I well remember daz h posting after he'd done his round how much he'd enjoyed it and being shocked tbh! I suspect rightly or wrongly that preparation is slightly easier now than when RA did his BG. Trods have formed, people have learned how to train for it and dare I say it, there is more chance of finding a fell shoe that actually fits

Anyway, going back to the original (daft) question I doubt there are many folk in the UK capable of 'racing' a BG. We were talking last night about the Fellsman and why so many folk drop out at Dent. 20-25miles of fell is the furthest most races go and the Fellsman is way beyond that and the BG covers much rougher terrain and has much more climbing / descending
    Poacher turned game-keeper

I guess the logistics of it in a race format would be pretty formidable for the organisers... but what a race! I suppose it would be possible, but, as you say, there's such a culture built around the BGR as it is that most folk might not consider a race necessary. In fact, some might see it as wholly unecesssary.

I wonder what would happen to the record if it were ever "raced" regularly. That could be interesting...
    Geoff Clarke

For the little that I know about these things, I have wondered similar to Stolly & Hank that it would be a cracking race
    but as others stated in the thread that I started 'BG Attemps ....' this subject / event seems to be very emotive
    with the majority of people not liking it to be changed.

It would be a quality ultra event and I could see it attracting a lot of runners.
    Paul C.

... continuous effort - not strength or intelligence - is the key to unlocking our potential.

wonder what proporition of no-shows you'd get on the day, specially if the weather was looking a bit dodge, heh heh...?

It would be quality being in a tent on a check point for 30 hours for only 30 people !!

Maximum head down in your sleeping bag !!
    Paul C.

... continuous effort - not strength or intelligence - is the key to unlocking our potential.

Must admit I like the idea of a race around the BG or a similar course, none of the long distance running events in the uk have a lot of climb in them compared to their length be good to have something different
    Bill