Page 13 of 59 FirstFirst ... 3111213141523 ... LastLast

Thread: Depression

Re: Depression

Who needs drugs when we've got running. Honestly I felt rotten this morning after a bad night sleep, a fuzzy head, a weak body, could hardly be bothered to run up the stairs.
    I knew I had to get out and get a few miles in....I've got a marathoon on the 17th.
    But how on earth was I going to be able to run feeling like this?
    I forced my self out the door....hit the cliff tops on the coastal path....made a mental note to enjoy this beautiful scenery...and hey presto...it's in the bag!
    I've been feeling so much better since!
    Running is a drug some don't understand...but it works! Well today anyway! :wink:
    Only one who will risk going too far can possibly find out how far one can go. -T.S.Eliot

Master and MR

Quote Originally Posted by Mountain Goatess View Post
    Who needs drugs when we've got running. Honestly I felt rotten this morning after a bad night sleep, a fuzzy head, a weak body, could hardly be bothered to run up the stairs.
    I knew I had to get out and get a few miles in....I've got a marathoon on the 17th.
    I forced my self out the door....hit the cliff tops on the coastal path....made a mental note to enjoy this beautiful scenery...and hey presto...it's in the bag!
    Running is a drug some don't understand...but it works! Well today anyway! :wink:

Well done you. In fact very well done. You motivated yourself. The running helped but you yourself madevit happen. Nice one

Like daz says well done, getting back into it is hard, but worth the effort, running unjumbles the jumbly world we live in:wink:
    Hills and Guinness!

Well done MG, I know I have said it before, but you really are an inspiration :thumbup: Glad you are feeling better now after your run xx

Well done Louise, top effort. A bit like when Fell Hound and I used to have a crazy/mad 35 minute lunch time run from work everyday, way back when. Somedays the weather was so bad that we didn't feel up to it. Our maxim was,
    "It's the first 5 steps out of the door that count, after that it doesn't get any wetter!!":thumbup:

Awww thanks all you guys :thumbup:

I did 13.5 mile that day and still feeling good from it, especially as there was no soreness in my legs the day after....result! Now just got a few short runs to get in before the big one a week on Saturday. :wink:

Thanks One Hill.....have enjoyed browsing your wedding pics...you looked stunning and looks like you had an amazing day.

I would say that I have made probably a 90% recovery from my illness and I hope everyone else that has suffered in similar ways find health and happiness xxx
    Only one who will risk going too far can possibly find out how far one can go. -T.S.Eliot

Super Moderator

Great to hear you're feeling much better MG and good luck with the marathon!

Old Chinese proverb say, 'Hardest part of going for a long run is putting your shoes on'.

Awww thanks all you guys :thumbup:

I did 13.5 mile that day and still feeling good from it, especially as there was no soreness in my legs the day after....result! Now just got a few short runs to get in before the big one a week on Saturday. :wink:

Thanks One Hill.....have enjoyed browsing your wedding pics...you looked stunning and looks like you had an amazing day.

I would say that I have made probably a 90% recovery from my illness and I hope everyone else that has suffered in similar ways find health and happiness xxx
    Lush news MG, I am so impressed that you are doing a marathon, you certainly are an inspiration! enjoy the race x
    and we run because we like it through the broad bright land

Stagger...
    I'm surprised there's been little mention of nutrition in all of this .
    I'm sure that I owe my life to the internet and some research about nutrition for depression .
    A lot of well-meaning people are advising that exercise is a way of getting over this, but certainly there was no way in late 2007 I could have used exercise as a way out of this because any attempt to do any exercise resulted in (worse) insomnia , plus I was absolutely exhausted .

I would recommend anyone suffering regular bouts of depression to research AT LEAST the following :

Magnesium
    Zinc
    Vitamin B6

Anti-depressants will help the brain chemistry, but they can only be successful in the long run if the raw materials are supplied .
    Serotonin requires Tryptophan ( from protein , esp. milk and chicken ),
    Magnesium,
    B6,
    Zinc.

Oh, did I mention that hard exercise depletes Magnesium ?
    High carbohydrate diets with a lot of cereal reduce Iron and Zinc .
    Caffeine and alcohol can make you short of various B-vitamins .

There are loads of good websites out there . Some I recently discovered, for instance :
    http://evolutionarypsychiatry.blogspot.com/
    http://george-eby-research.com/html/...n-anxiety.html

Mark