Page 4 of 59 FirstFirst ... 234561454 ... LastLast

Thread: Depression

Re: Depression

Quote Originally Posted by egor View Post
    you need to speak to someone, a psychotherapist or psychoanalyst, the previous posts about meds/thyroids/advice are nonsense, i work in psychology/psychiatrict services...
    ...and yet you can't spell psychiatric. I do hope that you can assure us that you have no conflicting interests that might be biasing your advice.

Quote Originally Posted by runningfool View Post
    ...and yet you can't spell psychiatric. I do hope that you can assure us that you have no conflicting interests that might be biasing your advice.
    why do i need to assure? what i say is right and has evidence to back it up, i work for the NHS so would not benefit personally from any advice, as for the spelling mistake, sounds like a .petty jibe to me, not liking what i posted earlier

Banned

Can I say THANK-YOU to all who replied.
    The advice will be very useful and I have printed most of it.
    Also
    The support form other's is great and shows in times of need what a careing and supporting bunch of folk use this forum.

Thank you again form Stagger

I have just caught up with this thread so sorry for the delay...this is a really useful link for you and others who are interested. Good luck with it stagger and I am sure in being so open you have indirectly helped many others on this thread.

http://www.nhs.uk/Conditions/Depress...Treatment.aspx

ps the little video is quite good at explaining the different types of therapy available so if nothing else i would just listen to that!
    Last edited by freckle; 06-06-2010 at 10:16 AM.
    and we run because we like it through the broad bright land

why do i need to assure? what i say is right and has evidence to back it up, i work for the NHS so would not benefit personally from any advice, as for the spelling mistake, sounds like a .petty jibe to me, not liking what i posted earlier
    No response to my posts Egor?

Quote Originally Posted by TheGrump View Post
    Don't think this is a thread to start squabbling on in the usual forum fashion. The initial post is serious and deserves and needs support, where possible. However, as in my Reference Guide thread, I maintain that professional help is the key. That doesn't mean that supplementary advice from those who have been or are in the same predicament has no value.
    To all sufferers - courage and strength.
    thats a fair enough point, i agree professional help is the key, personal support may offer interim help, although friends/family etc are not always detached enough to be objective, its a tough, ive worked with and seen lots of people make changes and ultimately feel better, although it does take time. Good luck Stagger, i usually cant be bothered with posting, one of the reasons i did was due to someone (Stagger) being honest about something (mental health/illness) we all come into contact with and i agree, society doesnt always welcome disscussions regarding such matters.

Master

you need to speak to someone, a psychotherapist or psychoanalyst, the previous posts about meds/thyroids/advice are nonsense, i work in psychology/psychiatrict services, so i know what im talking about, reassurance-advice dosent always help in the long run, as im sure you know, go to gp for a referral for therapy or approach a private therapist. good luck and if you need anymore info let me know
    What I'd like to know is, why do you advise people to go and see psychiatrists and psychologists when these people rarely help anyone? Educated with the 'nothing is ever anybody's fault' philosophy, they're quick to prescribe happy pills to anyone as a quick fix.

Someone you love dies "we can't bring them back son, but we can make you feel a damn site better about it, with our special pills"

You're not getting on with your family, ar no problem " give him the pills, they'll make him conform to the wishes of his clan"

The cat's been run over " yes! we've even got a pill to get you over the shock."

Master

I just want to mention something. In the past few years a number of athletes I know have developed hypothyroidism. In each case they had depression, and the odd thing was none of them had anything to be depressed about. No problems with the spouse, money issues, or job fears. All struggled to train due to a lack of energy, and all felt a big dark cloud over their conciousness.

In one case the doctor was going to put the person on anti-depressants, wtihout even checking thyroid function. The patient knowing someone else in the family had hypothyroidism, had to suggest to the doctor that it might be thyroid related. Being an athlete the doctor just said "you don't look like you've got that."

Similar attitude actually to Egor above.

[QUOTE=christopher leigh;337444]I just want to mention something. In the past few years a number of athletes I know have developed hypothyroidism. In each case they had depression, and the odd thing was none of them had anything to be depressed about. No problems with the spouse, money issues, or job fears. All struggled to train due to a lack of energy, and all felt a big dark cloud over their conciousness.

In one case the doctor was going to put the person on anti-depressants, wtihout even checking thyroid function. The patient knowing someone else in the family had hypothyroidism, had to suggest to the doctor that it might be thyroid related. Being an athlete the doctor just said "you don't look like you've got that."

Theres always a reason why someones depressed, ill etc, their usually (but not always) not aware of it though, you cant say 'they' had no reason to be depressed etc, you will not have been familiar with the more intimate contents of their mind, i dont advise meds, unless in the most serious of circumstances, risk to self/others/psychotic etc, psychotherapy is what i mainly recommend, as thats what i do, i feel youre slightly missrepresenting me with your last comment.

[QUOTE=egor;337452]
    Quote Originally Posted by christopher leigh View Post
    psychotherapy is what i mainly recommend, as thats what i do, i feel youre slightly missrepresenting me with your last comment.
    Thats all well and good but what do people do whilst being on the waiting list for such therapy? Suffer?
    Maybe our views are different as the people I work with are at risk.