Page 44 of 59 FirstFirst ... 34424344454654 ... LastLast

Thread: Depression

"I know that Leaf's situation is by no means her fault, far from it; but on the other hand is it not good to 'take ownership' of the situations that you find yourself in, rather than always laying the blame at someone else's feet?"

I'm certainly not blaming anyone else.
    Last edited by Leaf; 13-08-2017 at 08:52 PM. Reason: Omitted the quote to which I was responding.

Well said, Stagger.

I.m sobered by the number of fellow forumites who have 'come out' as labouring under the curse of depression.
    I'm sorry, bewildered and not a little blind sided by the number of you who are 'suffering'
    I always thought that fell running would be populated by the wild, self confident, strong and indomitable spirits of popular myth.
    But, like life, reality does not match imagination.

Strength to you all. Chin up, steely gaze and girded loin.

And may I leave you on this good evening with a simple treasured memory from my youngest daughter who we dragged up Snowdon when she was just four. As we toiled our way across the ridge from Crib Y ddysgyl to Yr Wyddfa she offered the following observation....'Daddy, aren't mountains Strong?"
    I've never forgotten such am eloquent summation of what must have seemed like a massive challenge to someone so little. She was not fazed or worried, just respectful of the enormity of the task she had taken on. The reason for recounting this is to encourage you all to see your own challenges as not insurmountable, just 'strong'. But, with the help of others, quite defeatable.
    Simon Blease
    Monmouth

Quote Originally Posted by Wheeze View Post
    I.m sobered by the number of fellow forumites who have 'come out' as labouring under the curse of depression.
    I'm sorry, bewildered and not a little blind sided by the number of you who are 'suffering'
    I always thought that fell running would be populated by the wild, self confident, strong and indomitable spirits of popular myth.

It does seem surprising... but is it really...?

I've always been of the opinion that there are two types of people who run on the fells (not wanting to categorise everyone).... there's those who simply just love the mountains, and those who feel the need to test themselves to the absolute limit. Why do we feel the need to test ourselves? Is it because we often feel we have to prove our worth...?

As someone who has suffered "problems" (I wouldn't go as far as to compare myself to some of the situations in this thread).... when I look honestly at why I run in the mountains, I probably lie somewhere in between the two types. Certainly having people tell me that what I am about to attempt is "too much" is the biggest motivator for me, and quite often riles me up a bit. What that actually says about my personality or mental state, who knows.... I certainly don't.

Sorry for the ramblings... probably in no way relevant to most people...

Banned
    It's difficult to quantify Travs.
    Yes its an illness.
    Brought on by a multitude of reason's or circumstances.

The battle is with ones self and life.

If the strength and motivation is there we get out. If not we hide from the world.

The battle goes on.

Quote Originally Posted by Leaf View Post
    I'm certainly not blaming anyone else.
    What about yourself? Can you be absolutely sure that blaming yourself is the right thing to do?
    Luke Appleyard (Wharfedale)- quick on the dissent

Quote Originally Posted by Stagger View Post
    The battle is with ones self and life.

The battle goes on.
    Trev, i have to stress that the battle is only with ones self. The battle with life, as we see it, is really only a battle with our perception of life. It's one of the biggest magic tricks currently cursing western cultures; the idea that life's processes and events are stressful and that they cause us stress.

Ideas like that now tend to dissolve in my mind because i have The Work now working autonomously, but let's walk it through anyway.

Statement: "Life and other people are the cause of my stress". (I've expanded it slightly)

Q1, is it true? Yes, it feels like this day to day

Q2, can i be absolutely sure it's true? If i scrape my nails down a chalkboard in front of a room full of people, some will wince, some will grimace, some may protest wildly; and some will simply sit there wondering what the fuss is about. One man's feast is another man's famine. People's reactions will be down to how their brain deals with the stimulus. Transferring this principle across, how can i know my stress isn't down to how my own brain is dealing with the situations i face? I think the answer is no, i can't be absolutely sure.

Q3, how do i feel then i think this thought? Effing powerless! Like a victim of the world. I feel like i'm under assault from multiple angles, how am i going to win here? I feel abandoned by god and by life, i lash out in defence and get nowhere. How can i end this struggle!!

Intermediate question, can i see a reason to drop this belief? Yes! Christ...who wants to live like that? Spending every day suffering?

Q4, who would i be without this thought? Free of the chains of stress, and in a position to calmly question other long-held beliefs that may be hurting me. I hate feeling this way every day over and over again, without my attatchment to this belief i can begin to approach a state of neutrality and perhaps even start to enjoy my life again.

Intermediate question, can i see a stress-free reason to hold onto this belief? I find it very difficult to let go of things sometimes, i don't know why, but i just do. It's like i'm in love with my own flipping depression, and it's hard to live this way. I want to hold onto this belief, but there is no stress free way to do so. There are no stress-free reasons to keep thinking the way i do.

Turn the statement around and project it inwardly instead of outwardly:

"My outlook on life and myself are the cause of my stress"

Reflect on the turnaround. Keep reflecting for at least 5mins.

...and yes, the battle goes on, for me too, every day.
    Last edited by mr brightside; 15-08-2017 at 07:31 PM.
    Luke Appleyard (Wharfedale)- quick on the dissent

Banned
    Thanks for that Luke.

I disagree with some of it and don't understand other bits.

But praise the lord if it works for you ��

Anyone heard from Wharfy lately?

Quote Originally Posted by mr brightside View Post
    ...and yes, the battle goes on, for me too, every day.
    I would be interested to know how that "battle" manifests itself; is it kept in the mind, or does it cause physical symptons within the body?

Quote Originally Posted by mr brightside View Post

"My outlook on life and myself are the cause of my stress"
    This is my starting point - my 'depression' or whatever it is, is my fault. If I could think differently I'd probably cope much better. But despite many attempts from different angles I haven't managed it yet. Besides which, it's not just the way I think, or what I think about - it's that overwhelming sense of failure, futility and deep weariness with life. It goes beyond mere 'thinking'.