Page 7 of 59 FirstFirst ... 567891757 ... LastLast

Thread: Depression

Re: Depression

Quote Originally Posted by Mountain Goatess View Post
    I am sorry I made the mistake of coming into this thread. I thought it may have some positive and informative comments, not ones that would fill me with doubt and worry about myself and my treatment. I need to be strong to try and get through this successfully and get back to work and my old self. I am not looking for an 'easy' way out CL and I am certainly not a 'wimp'!
    I just don't know how you can make the comments you did when you know nothing of individual personality, circumstance or situations.
    (With reference to the hypothyroidism, I do agree that could cause some depressive symptoms. I would have thought the doctors would rule that out before prescribing treatment. I certainly had tests done to rule out other things.)
    Dear dear dear me...this situation is really quite saddening. I think it is really important that all those reading this thread are influenced by well informed guidance and not the opinionated ramblings of someone who has clearly no knowledge of depression as an illness, its etiology and proven treatments. From what you have said MG you are receiving (in my humble opinion) appropriate treatment and I would not let CL's views undermine this at all. Of course it is good to ask questions about treatment etc if you feel it would be helpful. THe difference between the people treating you and CL is that i) they have been trained ii) they are accountable. Unfortunately CL it is all very well saying "lets have a debate" but your insensitivity and polarised arguments are quite frankly unhelpful. Of course it is a free society and you can say what you like but it is proving offensive and worse still potentially detrimental.

MG I implore you to ignore CL's comments and concentrate on moving forward with the support you have available from trained professionals and trusted friends. Depression is a difficult condition but it is very treatable. It is not a sign of weakness, a character flaw , it doesn't reflect a failure it is a recognised and common disorder. Unfortunately I think this thread is now being used to air petty grievances taking it away from the original request to provide information/advice and support to a fellow forumite.

Good luck to all those who meeting this challenge at the minute.
    Last edited by freckle; 07-06-2010 at 01:04 PM.
    and we run because we like it through the broad bright land

Quote Originally Posted by christopher leigh View Post

I've said on here before that some people deserve to be depressed, for all the wrong choices they make. Choices they knew were wrong when they made them. .
    This is getting out of hand now. Do you realize what impact this could have on someone suffering from depression and the serious implications that could happen as a result?!

You were making a very good valid point about thyroid related issues, and then you post this. Most people are trying to give advice as you were in the first instance, all be it some difference of opinion but generally trying to help. This comment is just damaging, and I really hope the admin have the sense to remove it.

I urge all to simply ignore this statement by C.L, its the single most rude, and damaging comment I have ever had the misfortune to read on any forum.

Whilst I may not agree with some of the content of Egor's posts I'm pretty sure both of us have posted what we have out of the passion for the jobs we do and the fact we want to help people get there lives back. Add to this the countless number of years of training and on the job experience we have both had. Had I Known this thread would come to this, I wouldn't have got involved - and may well steer clear of such threads again in the future.
    Last edited by The devil's own; 07-06-2010 at 01:17 PM.

Quote Originally Posted by eavesy187 View Post
    Had I Known this thread would come to this, I wouldn't have got involved - and may well steer clear of such threads again in the future.
    i agree with this and MG post, while debate and conflict is sometimes productive, its getting personal, with personal and professional jibes (eavsey) . if I was the originator of this post, id be avoided it like the plague now, which I will.

Quote Originally Posted by egor View Post
    i agree with this and MG post, while debate and conflict is sometimes productive, its getting personal, with personal and professional jibes (eavsey) . if I was the originator of this post, id be avoided it like the plague now, which I will.
    No personal or professional jibes were intended on my behalf. I just really struggled with you dismissing numerous posts of advice as nonsense, especially that of thyroid function, I would question anyone who said the same. My post about treating those more acutely unwell or at risk isn't a jibe - it's just reality, unless psychotherapy works very differently in Wakefield. Whilst I acknowledged that therapy has it's place, its also not for everyone - you seemed to propose that it's the ONLY answer - again I would always question this. I have re-read my posts and really don't see any personal or professional jibes other than questioning your judgement and advice - which I and others feel was the right thing to do. You'll also see in one response to C.L I was actually sticking up for you.
    No offence was intended, and sorry if it came across that way.
    Last edited by The devil's own; 07-06-2010 at 04:23 PM.

No personal or professional jibes were intended on my behalf. I just really struggled with you dismissing numerous posts of advice as nonsense, especially that of thyroid function, I would question anyone who said the same. My post about treating those more acutely unwell or at risk isn't a jibe - it's just reality, unless psychotherapy works very differently in Wakefield. Whilst I acknowledged that therapy has it's place, its also not for everyone - you seemed to propose that it's the ONLY answer - again I would always question this. I have re-read my posts and really don't see any personal or professional jibes other than questioning your judgement and advice - which I and others feel was the right thing to do. You'll also see in one response to C.L I was actually sticking up for you.
    No offence was intended, and sorry if it came across that way.
    I don't mean to sound patronising or trite but speak as someone who has worked in mental health services for quite some time....

I wonder if there is a lesson to be learned here....I think comments from both yourself and egor have been well intended but that it has been possibly unhelpful for the people requesting advice to hear professional differences of opinion (in such emotive terms) being aired in a public forum?

Whilst I think it is important to look at everyone's opinion it is perhaps confusing for users of mental health services to hear such differences as they are coming from a different perspective and may not have the contextual information that those in the field have to understand some of the comments made.

Anybody working in mental health services will be aware that lively debates/differences of opinions on various subject matters occur and that this is quite healthy and indeed productive at times as long as it takes place within an atmosphere of mutual respect. I think eavesy you have tried quite hard to put forward a balanced view and it is a shame that the process has somehow got carried away. I am sure that with a period of reflection people will find some useful comments on this thread (and ignore the hot air!!!)
    Last edited by freckle; 07-06-2010 at 04:45 PM.

Quote Originally Posted by freckle View Post
    I don't mean to sound patronising or trite but speak as someone who has worked in mental health services for quite some time....

I wonder if there is a lesson to be learned in that as well intended comments from both yourself and egor have been it has possible been unhelpful for the people requesting advice to hear professional differences of opinion in such emotive terms aired in a public forum? Whilst I think it is important to look at everyone's opinion it is perhaps confusing for users of mental health services to hear such differences as they are coming from a different perspective and may not have the contextual information that those in the field have to understand some of the comments made. Anybody working in mental health services will be aware that lively debates/differences of opinions on various subject matters occur and that this is quite healthy and indeed productive at times as long as it takes place within an atmosphere of mutual respect. I think eavesy you have tried quite hard to put forward a balanced view and it is a shame that the process has somehow got carried away. I am sure that with a period of reflection people will find some useful comments on this thread (and ignore the hot air!!!)
    Thanks for the post Freckle. When I got involved in this thread all's I intended to do was offer advice based upon my experience, and as you have noted put forward a balanced view - I didn't dismiss any current treatment that people may be receiving, I only suggested things which I felt would be of benefit. I never imagined this thread would turn into what it has, and I will now think twice before joining in such threads in the future.

Thanks for the post Freckle. When I got involved in this thread all's I intended to do was offer advice based upon my experience, and as you have noted put forward a balanced view - I didn't dismiss any current treatment that people may be receiving, I only suggested things which I felt would be of benefit. I never imagined this thread would turn into what it has, and I will now think twice before joining in such threads in the future.
    You are welcome. I think it is always a difficult dilemma with threads such as these to know whether to get involved or not I know I struggle with it myself!

Quote Originally Posted by freckle View Post
    You are welcome. I think it is always a difficult dilemma with threads such as these to know whether to get involved or not I know I struggle with it myself!
    I suppose it's a weakness of the medium. You can't condense the necessary information and enquiries into a couple of paragraphs and not expect some-one else to disagree.

Quote Originally Posted by Brotherton Lad View Post
    I suppose it's a weakness of the medium. You can't condense the necessary information and enquiries into a couple of paragraphs and not expect some-one else to disagree.
    Yes a very good point BL, i think the heart tells us to comment but the mind says "don't bother!"

I'm sure we all wish Stagger well and it's clear he has lots of support on here and that plenty of others have been in similar circumstances (I can't say I've reached the grand age of 52 without a few wobbles on the way) and, I hope too, he will have got further support from private messages and friends closer to home.