Page 1 of 7 123 ... LastLast

Thread: Kiss off to running clubs

Smile Kiss off to running clubs

Sorry about the title but there wasn't room for what I wanted to call the thread. Basically I've come to the conclusion that my running with a club days are over. I used to run with Skipton AC when I lived in Skipton and have occasionally run with them since - in the summer they would all trot off road over some nice hilly routes dotted around Skipton and, although the winter road routes were kind of irksome, it was a really fine club and they were (and still are) a really nice bunch of people. But....

I've popped over to Skipton (25 minutes in the car) last Thursday and again last night and I think I'm wasting my time. My plan was to run with them weekly if I could to try and boost my speed (all my running on my tod and non-racing isn't exactly making me any faster) and last Thursday night I did have a really good blow out; we ran a fast off road course, if not a particularly hilly one, but unfortunately of the half dozen off roaders that night, I think they all wanted to run as a social trot along whereas I blasted off and ran the whole route on my own out in front . Doh!

Last night I was hoping it might be different and I wasn't disappointed. Of the 25 or so runners who turned up at 7 pm at Skipton swimming pool, all of them but me chose to do an 8 mile road run out to Embsay reservoir and back!!! So I'd driven 14 miles to do a frigging road run!!!!

Anyway, rather than run to Embsay in my fell shoes, I still had a lovely run up to Bog Lane via the caravan site, along the Flasby track and over Sharp Haw and back but I did it on my own. I think Skipton AC have become a road running formation now and, to be fair, they've done an absolutely stirling job bringing in new runners.

But they're not for me really

(By the way I can't really run on Mondays or Wednesdays nowadays, well not in any organised way anyway, so Settle Harriers and K&C can't fulfill my running requirements either )
    Last edited by Stolly; 04-06-2010 at 09:50 AM.

Re: Kiss off to running clubs

Lets face it, you are a typical fell runner. Which means you are 2 standard deviations from the mean of normality. So most clubs will not be able to cater for your idiosyncrasies (which you will perceive as perfectly normal expectations). What you need is a virtual club that will be a happy home for you. There are 2 choices waiting for you 'Down The Pub'!
    Simon Blease
    Monmouth

Quote Originally Posted by Stolly View Post
    Sorry about the title but there wasn't room for what I wanted to call the thread. Basically I've come to the conclusion that my running with a club days are over. I used to run with Skipton AC when I lived in Skipton and have occasionally run with them since - in the summer they would all trot off road over some nice hilly routes dotted around Skipton and, although the winter road routes were kind of irksome, it was a really fine club and they were (and still are) a really nice bunch of people. But....

I've popped over to Skipton (25 minutes in the car) last Thursday and again last night and I think I'm wasting my time. My plan was to run with them weekly if I could to try and boost my speed (all my running on my tod and non-racing isn't exactly making me any faster) and last Thursday night I did have a really good blow out; we ran a fast off road course, if not a particularly hilly one, but unfortunately of the half dozen off roaders that night, I think they all wanted to run as a social trot along whereas I blasted off and ran the whole route on my own out in front . Doh!

Last night I was hoping it might be different and I wasn't disappointed. Of the 25 or so runners who turned up at 7 pm at Skipton swimming pool, all of them but me chose to do an 8 mile road run out to Embsay reservoir and back!!! So I'd driven 14 miles to do a frigging road run!!!!

Anyway, rather than run to Embsay in my fell shoes, I still had a lovely run up to Bog Lane via the caravan site, along the Flasby track and over Sharp Haw and back but I did it on my own. I think Skipton AC have become a road running formation now and, to be fair, they've done an absolutely stirling job bringing in new runners.

(By the way I can't really run on Mondays or Wednesdays nowadays, well not in any organised way anyway, so Settle Harriers and K&C can't fulfill my running requirements either )
    Hi Stolly, the Hoodie i have on offer will be free to you upon joining the Fell ponies sort of a welcome gift
    Going to try again....

If you join Wharfedale they do a three tier ability speed training session somewhere near White Wells in Ilkley on a thursday night, only a fiver a year too and you can by all accounts turn yourself blue in the face trying to catch the pesky juniors.
    Luke Appleyard (Wharfedale)- quick on the dissent

Stolly - training with others is tantamount to cheating anyway, any improvements you make training on your own will be all the sweeter
    Scramble the rock face through the glare of morning sun — to run

Quote Originally Posted by DazTheSlug View Post
    Stolly - training with others is tantamount to cheating anyway, any improvements you make training on your own will be all the sweeter
    That sounds like Mr T in the rocky film i eat alone i sleep alone i train alone all Stolly needs to do now is drink raw eggs for breakfast and he is there, stolly is already a hero of mine if he became a pony and train like Mr T he will become a light in history
    Last edited by Amex; 04-06-2010 at 10:40 AM. Reason: the sun is out
    Going to try again....

Quote Originally Posted by Wheeze View Post
    Lets face it, you are a typical fell runner. Which means you are 2 standard deviations from the mean of normality. So most clubs will not be able to cater for your idiosyncrasies (which you will perceive as perfectly normal expectations). What you need is a virtual club that will be a happy home for you. There are 2 choices waiting for you 'Down The Pub'!
    Brilliant response Wheeze - that made my morning LOL.
    I'm going to add "2 standard deviations from the mean of normality" to my e-mail signature and see how long my boss will tolerate it being there

I'd also like to join Amex in the Stolly Appreciation Society. I've never met Stolly but I read these pages and I just know that he's the runner here that I most identify with. I keep going out for runs in the Dales and just hoping I'll meet the guy.

Sad I know - but we all need heroes
    “The higher we soar, the smaller we appear to those who cannot fly.”

Geoff Cox Lonsdale Fellrunners

Keighley - a bit too near lancashire for comfort

Suspect this is a very good wind up but will respond accordingly and with feeling.

What a selfish post, its up to you whether you run with a club or not, but you cannot just turn up after a break and expect them to do what you want or for them to be running in a similar pattern than they did in the past.

Keighley do a number of different sessions, sometimes what the the majority do suits me for my training needs other times they don't (hill reps in the autumn every Thursday are not for me) but that's fine I do my own thing or or find like minded souls who wish to do something else.

Its up to you who you run with but you cannot slag off the club system just because they don't meet when you want them do or do what you want.

I think Skipton have had a narrow escape and wouldn't even wish you on Wharfedale and I certainly hope you don't find out that our main off road sessions are are Tuesday and Thursday.

That Narcissus does have a lot to answer for.

Quote Originally Posted by Woo hoo View Post
    That Narcissus does have a lot to answer for.
    Is that the old bloke who runs for Hubris Harriers?