Thread: Newbie

Hi

New to fell running, infact I did my first proper fell run last night. I've been doing some failry serious road & trail running over the last 9 months and getting some respectable times, but then a friend recommended 'feet in the clouds' and the door to fell running was opened before me.

So last night, on the way home to London from Cardiff, I ran up Twmbarlwm and to my supprise it only took 15 minutes, but I ended up walking pushing my legs for about 1/5th of iot. Is this normal?

Anyway it gave me the confidence to enter a couple of races over the summer and I will probably choose the Ingleborough Mountain Race and another AM or BL race. Ultimatley I'd like to do enough to qualify me for the 3 peaks next spring. Can anyone recommend another good race which would be fairly easy to navigate for a newbie in these categories?

I need to run more. southernsoftie's Avatar

Re: Newbie

Hi there DJ. I'm very race-shy and tend to aim for ALs mainly, so can't recommend any BL/AMs. These ALs can also qualify you for 3Ps, as well as being good (hard) fun!

The only 2 I've got in mind before year's out is Three Shires & Tour of Pendle.

As for the climbing, most folk up the steeper stuff will at some point break into a walk, nothing to be ashamed of there. You'll find though that with hill specific training this will get easier, and may be able to last longer before hitting the walk.

Now, descending? That's another story...

Welcome aboard.
    "The best shield is to accept the pain, then what can really destroy me?"

http://garyufm.blogspot.co.uk