Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: First time doing a long race

First time doing a long race

Hi everyone me doing for the first time a long fell race ennerdale horseshoe on saturday..which i am excited about as the scenery will be great.i got a bumbag (not really big ) but i could get just get the kit in with a squeeze...but on the other hand then have a smallish backpack that could easily carry the said items easily . its sounds stupid but find it really difficult to decide . on one hand loads of space for liquids and other things if needed...then on the other very limited but lighter carrying.My goal is to finish and just enjoy a great race. i imagine only i will be trully able to decide what feels right on the day.any ideas /comments would be great.

Re: First time doing a long ra

Bum bag less intrusive to your running. All depends what you feel you need to carry with you in addition to race organiser's instructions. Try a couple of trial runs before the weekend with each piece of kit and see how you feel.

Another vote for bumbag; there'll be plenty of running water on the course so you don't need to carry much. The temptation with a rucksack is to lug loads of extra stuff that you just won't need.
    As long as you can pack the mandatory kit and a bag of jellybabies, you'lll be fine!!

I would go with what Ady said...try out both and use whichever is the most comfortable for you. Enjoy your race
    Only one who will risk going too far can possibly find out how far one can go. -T.S.Eliot

Quote Originally Posted by AndyA View Post
    Another vote for bumbag; there'll be plenty of running water on the course so you don't need to carry much
    not sure about that Andy, one of the things that struck me on my recce is that there is no water at all apart from a brackish tarn

If it's a hot day and you don't want to carry much from the start then I'd say a stash would be a very good idea.

Quote Originally Posted by matruns View Post
    Hi everyone me doing for the first time a long fell race ennerdale horseshoe on saturday..which i am excited about as the scenery will be great.i got a bumbag (not really big ) but i could get just get the kit in with a squeeze...but on the other hand then have a smallish backpack that could easily carry the said items easily . its sounds stupid but find it really difficult to decide . on one hand loads of space for liquids and other things if needed...then on the other very limited but lighter carrying.My goal is to finish and just enjoy a great race. i imagine only i will be trully able to decide what feels right on the day.any ideas /comments would be great.
    If your goal is just to get round and you're not worried about a few mins here and there - and if it's warm and you tend to sweat a lot - I'd go with the rucksack and extra fluid.
    Last edited by ZootHornRollo; 07-06-2010 at 12:51 PM.

Quote Originally Posted by AndyA View Post
    Another vote for bumbag; there'll be plenty of running water on the course so you don't need to carry much. The temptation with a rucksack is to lug loads of extra stuff that you just won't need.
    As long as you can pack the mandatory kit and a bag of jellybabies, you'lll be fine!!
    Don't be fooled - there's very little water on the Ennerdale route. Carrying a sac with a litre of water in it really won't slow you down at all. That's what I did a couple of years ago and got round in under 4hr 20min - and I'm an old man!

Quote Originally Posted by GeoffB View Post
    Don't be fooled - there's very little water on the Ennerdale route. Carrying a sac with a litre of water in it really won't slow you down at all. That's what I did a couple of years ago and got round in under 4hr 20min - and I'm an old man!
    Don't be fooled, he is a (very fast) old man! He is right about there being very little water on the route and if the weekend just gone is anything to go by there will be even less then usual.

Geoff's right - he is very old.
    Tao begets one. One begets two. Two begets all things.

Thanks for the feedback everyone ....hopefully before saturday i will try both and see how they feel.

Quote Originally Posted by matruns View Post
    Thanks for the feedback everyone ....hopefully before saturday i will try both and see how they feel.
    and if it looks like it's going to be hot, I'd take on as much fluid as you can during the morning and right up to the start