Hello,

Can anyone elaborate or better define sport to me, its a question that as been bugging me for a while now and I have thus far to find a answer that can satisfy me.

The closest definition I have found so far is:
“an active diversion requiring physical exertion and competition”

Now considering the none ambiguous nature of this definition it lacks any limits to further define what could be very open to interpretation with more than a fleeting glance.

I think its fair to say that even I with a profound hatred of football cannot argue against the fact that football is indeed a sport. After all it conforms to the above stated criteria, so we have a point of reference.

With this in mind I was having a recent conversation about competitive video gaming, and should or could it be defined as a sport. Before you discount it think about things that are thought of as sports and what makes them such. I would argue that Poker is sport, doing almost anything requires some for of physical excretion, and it is competitive, we have a set of strict governing rules so what makes this different to Football or any other sport? If Poker could be defined as a sport why not competitive gaming?

OK so if you remove personal preference from can someone point me what is accepted the definition of sport please.