Thread: 1st event - what kit?

1st event - what kit?

I've got my 1st day even later this year. I've new to all this running lark, but I've been walking / mountaineering for the past 5 or 6 years.

I need to get a new backpack (mine are 40ltr+ climbing sacks) and I can't decide between the 20ltr or 25ltr OMM sacks. The 20ltr is obviously lighter but in the long term the 25ltr may be more use if I get into multi-day event and even as a day sack. Can anyone give me any advice here? One thing that may also swing it is that I'm 6' 2" and so the longer back length of the 25ltr may be better?

Also, again my boots are quite stiff for climbing so I was considering getting some lightweight boots such as the Salomon Cosmic 4D GTX. Or perhaps just use my INOV8 shoes?

All too much to think about!

Re: 1st event - what kit?

Welcome, pp.
    Which event are you thinking of? Sounds like you're off on a route march.

Its called the Oggie 8, a charity type thing for Ogwen Mountain Rescue. Its 25km with 2,500m of ascent, from the MR Station up onto the Carneddau to Yr Elen, then back to Ogwn, Up Y Garn, along the Glyders to Tryfan and back down to the MR Station.

Ah, kit list here:

http://www.ogwen-rescue.org.uk/oggie...9_kit_list.pdf

You need advice from mountain marathon, High Peak marathon types. The usual fell running kit list is more basic than your needs.
    Just seen your training post too. I assume you will be training as a foursome.

Yes, we've put together a team. I have to say I'm the weakest link!

We've all spent plenty of days out in the hills together before now, though not on an event like this. We've got 1 day planned to do the route as a whole.

Super Moderator

Welcome to the forum pp. I'd try and have a look at a 20Lt OMM and the smaller Inov8 packs and see which is most comfortable. Oggie 8 looks a good first outing!

Regarding shoes if you've got a pair of Inov8s which are comfie I'd go with them. Fit, grip and comfort are the things on long days out
    Last edited by Derby Tup; 09-06-2010 at 03:13 PM.
    Poacher turned game-keeper

Sorry to ask but is it a running event?

I only ask cause if doesn't mention running and says about rugged mountain footwear required and obviously that would affect the type of kit you use.

I'd say consider:
    - Do you intend doing other events? No point buying lots of kit otherwise. And if you do want to do more running events then it might be best to consider things like taped seams on waterproofs as that can be a requirement for other longer events such as MM's.
    - Not that much kit needed from the kit list. Only use 30l for 2 day MM's myself so perhaps 20l. Although I do have the 25l OMM, which I mainly use for walking, not runnning as I find it quite bulky.
    -I suggest taking lots of different kit with you (and therefore perhaps different size backpacks?) and then pack kit according to the weather conditons when you get there. You'll see lots of people at longer running events fiddling with their kit changing bits depending on what the weather looks like.
    - And of course practice with that kit and those shoes as nothing worse than finding it uncomfortable on the day!

Of course I'm a relative novice compared to most on here but those are my thoughts.

Good luck!!
    -

I think that it's up to the team whether they run or not. The times last year ranged from 6:58 to over 12hrs. I'm not entirely sure how these would compare with mountain marathon events, but I'm guessing that there must have been some running involved with the winning time.

Anyhow, whilst I doubt that I'll be able to run the whole route, the plan is to run as much of it as possible. As a novice I'm thinking that ascents and very rocky ground (for instance some of Glyder sections and much of the Tryfan section) will be walked. I don't want to break and ankle due to a lack of experience! There's going to be plenty of scope to run over the Carneddau and a fair few bits in between.

My weather gear isn't super lightweight but was brought with the Alps in mind so it's as light as I could afford at the time. I was basically planning on taking the full kit list, that's what they asked for and I do know they will be checking randomly on the route.

I think it says "appropriate footwear" but there are blokes in the event photos with fell running shoes on. As I need new boots anyway I was thinking of getting a pair of the Salomons because they're a kind of hybrid running / boot thing. I think INOV8 make something similar and I will always find a use for them elsewhere.

I like 2 day bivi trips so the idea of 2 day events is appealing, the racing aspect adds to the challenge I guess. So with a limited budget, and with plans for a 2 day Welsh 14 Peak trip also on the cards for this year I'm thinking the 25ltr pack may be more useful. I can always get the 20ltr when I buy even more new kit!

Just the shoes to decide on now . . .

God the other half is going to be happy that I've found another bottomless pit to pour my cash down!

Salomon's are definitely a good compromise of lighweight, comfort and grip... I'd go for a trainer over a boot though if you plan on running in them.

The OMM sacks compress really well, so I'd go for a bigger size as it's going to be more flexible in the long run.
    Geoff Clarke

I got roped into this by my work last year.

They carry out a full kit check on everyone that takes part in this and they'll want to see all your kit before you start. It's more of a challenge then a race and the main focus of the event is finishing with your team and having a good day out rather then racing.

However, if they also did an individual, running class, it could be a good, long race to have go at......