Thread: Tiredness and hunger - Advice?

Tiredness and hunger - Advice?

I'm just getting going running really. I used to run a bit. Now I run a bit more (at least I've started to).

Problem is I'm Tired and hungry....all the time. I cant seem to sleep very well though.

It's not like I'm doing loads,
    2 Weeks of
    Mon Cycle 10miles
    Tue Run 6 miles
    Wed 3to4 Hours Climbing (More than half the time is sat/stood still)
    Thu Run 6 Miles
    Fri - Zip
    Sat - 8 to 10 hours Climbing (More than half the time is sat/stood still)
    Sun Run 8 Miles

The only change really is the extra running tue and thurs. all the other stuff is relatively established (4 months or so). It's not like my mileages are big or anything although I'd like to get another run in there in the future.

Does anyone have any tips on recovery or diet that would help things?

Thanks

Re: Tiredness and hunger - Adv

Davek, you say you ain't doing much but thats a pretty continuous workload with minimal rests during a week!

I suggest you develop a hard week / easy week routine and change the emphasis with each cycle, eg climbing bias then running bias then cycling bias. This would give you a six week rolling routine. You also gain variation, rests and interest. Keep a few fixtures such as the climbing as this usually requires teaming up but vary the intensity, routes below E5 one week then the big numbers the next.

Intergrate rest days. Remember its not exercise that makes you stronger but the ratio of rest to exercise. Use the down days for gentle stretching (warm up first: mile trot) and planning/reviewing your training. Have an occassional 'holiday' and stop for one week then enjoy a run/bike/big climb at the end of it then back to the six week routine. You shoudl notice a difference.

Food: good quality and as much as you fancy to clear the hunger feeling. If you're active you won't gain much fat weight but expect an increase as muscle is developed (very dense stuff compared to fat so tends not to show so easily)

Drink: keep correctly hydrated, dehydration can feel like hunger. (urine should tend to be light yellow)

Sleep: stop exercise at least an hour before bedtime, read for a bit then get in a stay warm. Sometimes rehydrating after exercise results in wanting a pee in the middle of the night and that messes your sleep.

Why are you exercising so much?? It could be a source of worry and this undermines the relaxed state needed for sleep. Chill out, enjoy being fit, set achievable goals (my best races have come from an aim to 'just finish').

Remember improvement comes from quality training not simple quantity!

By the time you finish reading this you should get a good night's sleep!!

Obviously not married and no kids then!

Thanks For that, Interesting stuff the six week rolling thing. I'm not actually very fit in my opinion and am overweight by about a stone, something I'd like to shift if I could stop stuffing my face). I dont actually try very hard on the cycle and tend to use it as transport on mondays. The steaching comment hits home as I rarely do any, another thing I should change I'm sure.

I think the Saturday Climbing may have been a little misleading as I dont do it every week. Every Third week I have Off and one of the other three I climb and run the same day as I have my kids. I get no where near E5 by the way....

Drink as you say, another slack component of mine. When I though about it it's terrible. Since Sunday I've drank 0.5L of water, about 5 mugs of tea, 3 coffees and 6 beers. I'll make a concerted to drink my 2L or more each day from now.

Excercise so much? I just really love to climb and to fell run, I get fustrated that I can't run as well as I'd like to though.

A good statement I think is;
    Remember improvement comes from quality training not simple quantity!
    I'm just joining a club a the moment so perhaps I'll get one of the guys to look at a training plan for me with a little structure to it. Meanwhile as I say I'll give some thought to the rolling 6 week thingy.

Thanks,
    Dave

Quote Originally Posted by macc ladd View Post
    Obviously not married and no kids then!
    Recently Separated,
    Weekend access to kids on a every friday + rolling sat & sun then sat or sun then neither sat or sun basis.

Recently separated ........ tiredness and hungry.....me thinks there's a link!

I reckon you are enjoying stress in its 'true' form. You've just been through one of lifes most stressful events (scores equal to a close relative dying). One manifestation of stress is feeling tired and feeling hungry. Sleep is a great repairer and a safe place so your body wants to got there. Hunger is the body driving itself to fuel up to cope with the added demand placed upon you, even though it is an emotional burden. I've been in a similar place through work. My advice is follow your body, within reason sleep/doze when you feel tired. Eat good food when hungry. For a while, saya couple of months, look to relax a lot. Don't burden yourself with tough targets but enjoy your leisure time. Don't beat yourself up if you 'fail' to achieve a target just laugh it off as a 'down' day. Tomorrow is always a better day.

Best of luck.

Tired and hungry? Tried resting and eating?

get some downtime chap! I found that if I train/race/whatever everyday I get so knackered I can't train properly. Personally I go for day on day off, although day off usually means a walk or summat gentle. Lets you recover and tru harder next time. Also found the quickest way to shed the fat was stop the beer, 2 stone in 4 months can't be wrong!