Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: edale on sunday

novice

edale on sunday

Can anyone tell me a bit more about this race?
    What is the route?any kit requirements? Is it a good day out 4 young kids? Is there parking?

Re: edale on sunday

Race preview here

Pretty simple really, one or two short cuts for those in the know

Accelerate race preview

Remember is 5-10 minutes walk to the start in the fields beneath RR as per skyline race. Finish is at the main show ground so remember there is a grueling 2/3 mile at the end down the road. Turn left after Railway bridge.

Lots for the kids as it is the country show. Parking is available but tight and it is a small valley so get there early.

Kit as per Grump but it is an AS and the forcast is looking ok . maybe a pertex top

M

Please tell me that says two thirds of a mile, not 2 or 3 miles????

See you on Sunday

novice

Quote Originally Posted by IanDarkpeak View Post
    Race preview here

Pretty simple really, one or two short cuts for those in the know

Accelerate race preview

Remember is 5-10 minutes walk to the start in the fields beneath RR as per skyline race. Finish is at the main show ground so remember there is a grueling 2/3 mile at the end down the road. Turn left after Railway bridge.

Lots for the kids as it is the country show. Parking is available but tight and it is a small valley so get there early.

Kit as per Grump but it is an AS and the forcast is looking ok . maybe a pertex top

M
    Thanks for that, I can't open the link as I can't access FaceBook

Decisions decisions - this or Kinder Trog ??

Quote Originally Posted by novice View Post
    Thanks for that, I can't open the link as I can't access FaceBook

Decisions decisions - this or Kinder Trog ??
    Long and hard or short and fast(oh and hard)

My preffered race is the trog but I'm commited to Edale

From Face book

Distance: 4.7 miles Total Climb: 1,328ft
    Records: Simon Bailey 31.46 (picture above) Janet McIver 38.23
    2009 Winners: Lloyd Taggart 34.17 Karen Davison 42.48
    Last Runner Home: 76.18 167 Entries in 2009.

Race Entries: In advance from the store or on the day at Edale Village Hall. £5.
    Village Hll Location: http://maps.google.co.uk/maps?cid=14831593825374952649
    Race Entry includes an all day pass to the Edale Country Day.

Carp Parking: Follow the signs into the village for free parking for the race goers.

The race has previously been a counter in the FRA National Championships and today is Round 4 of the Accelerate Gritstone Series. Current Series leaders Stuart Bond and Helen Elmore have said they will be racing and I understand many of the current leaders in the Vet catergories will also be along. Particular interest should be paid to the ongoing battle between Mike Nolan and Graham Moffat as they battle for the V40 honours, which I suspect could all come down to the last race of the year.

Race Entries for the Series Events, so far, have seen a dramatic rise. Burbage topped 330 and Castleton had over 240 entries, an increase on 70 from the previous year. With this in mind race organisers at Edale have asked that competitors arrive early to register.

The Race Fee also includes entry to the Edale Country Day. This is a traditional village Country Fair and this is were the race will finish and usualy in front of a gathering crowd. The final run-in includes a short road section before a sharp left turn up some steps (put in for the race some years ago) and along the back of the Village Hall and car park and then into the Country Day. Family and friends will also get a birds eye view of the runners on the Skyline to the back of the village and the local commentator will keep everyone up to speed as to what is happening. The Country Day is very much a social affair post race, with many enjoying the activities (and beer) long into the afternoon. Accelerate will also be on hand with the retail store so if you need anything bringing along then please shout.

The race itself starts from the main field at the foot of Ringing Roger (and the Nab) and to the left of Grinds Brook. The first climb through the zig zags will head you to the summit of Ringing Roger, before swinging you onto the edge of Kinder towards the crossing of Grinds Brook. From here you climb to the summit of Grindsbrook Knoll and then the descent is a choice - open ground or the footpath? As to which is quicker probably depends on you and is still hotly debated. The run off the hill and back into Edale is fast and grassy with a couple of styles to leap (if you dare).
    It is also suggested you check out the finish of the race, especially the access behind the village hall and into the field for the finish post.

http://www.streetmap.co.uk/map.srf?x...2C+Derbyshire+[City/Town/Village]&searchp=ids.srf&mapp=map.srf

We hope to see you there and if racing, well, enjoy and good luck

novice

thanks Ian

To be pedantic the race actually starts to the right of Grindsbrook as you look towards the hills, you cross it on the little footbridge before that start. It also cuts off left before the summit of Ringing Roger and heads towards Golden Clough eventually crossing it near the top. Unless of course somethings changed this year :-) The steps back to the show field are a bit of sod (short and sharp) don't miss them and don't trip or slip.

That said it's a fantastic to race to run or to watch and the country day itself is a good day out for all.

Thanks for the instructions above. I am not local and there does not appear to be a map online anywhere. Is this race suitable for new fell runners who will be very much at the back?

There will be quite a sharp and long climb immediately after the off; after that it's a relatively flat run over rocks etc, short climb to Grindslow Knoll then a grassy run back to the start.

If you're able to handle rough ground there's nothing too worrying in this race.

The entry should be big going on the previous Gritstone races and so there should be a wide variety of abilities.

Did you do the race in the end Sam?