Thread: slipped disc

slipped disc

I've slipped a disc, possibly due to a bashed hip originally. I'm in good physio hands but if anyone has encouraging tales of getting back on the hill, moral support etc. it would be welcome. Tales of woe are NOT welcome.

Thanks

Mary

Re: slipped disc

Quote Originally Posted by Mary View Post
    I've slipped a disc, possibly due to a bashed hip originally. I'm in good physio hands but if anyone has encouraging tales of getting back on the hill, moral support etc. it would be welcome. Tales of woe are NOT welcome.

Thanks

Mary
    It needn't be a problem at all in itself Mary. Just depends how much it irritates the sciatic nerve isn't it?

I have a prolapsed disc and get sciatic pain towards the end of long runs (three hours upwards) and afterwards - but it's OK really, it's just something to chew through, like cramp. Short, fast-paced runs where you're really lengthening the stride and throwing the body about I sometimes pay badly for afterwards, but it's all worth it.
    Last edited by ZootHornRollo; 13-06-2010 at 11:22 PM.

Thanks, it is good to know that it can be manageable. I'm hoping I can build up my core strength and stretch my hamstrings out enough to protect it in future. Running with my fingers crossed my be diffcult though :-)

Mary

I destroyed a disc seven years ago, got an infection there and a paraspinal abscess. The 2 vertebrae have since fused together. I get sciatica often, but can still do 50 mile weeks when the urge takes me and race for 4 or 5 hours at a go. I'm a right pansy at descending though because the injury has left me feeling a bit delicate and inflexible.

Most discs eventually go back on their own but it can take up to a year. Patience is needed!
    Simon Blease
    Monmouth