Page 102 of 115 FirstFirst ... 25292100101102103104112 ... LastLast
Results 1,011 to 1,020 of 1146

Thread: The Ben Nevis Race

Quote Originally Posted by fellephant View Post
    Forget the eight hours. It's worth it and its not just a bout the race. I love the presentation and the after presentation pub crawls. I guess the latter explains why I came 21st from last.

Seriously, get yourself entered next year. You will love it.

felly.
    You've convinced me, come January my entry form will be in the post, definately.

Still up in Fort William after Saturdays race and the weather has been fantastic. Managed to get out everyday this week Munro bagging and today was something special, went back up The Ben via the arĂȘte around the back. I once read that going up the Ben on the tourist path is like going to the beach and not seeing the sea. Too true, the arĂȘte approach is magnificent and gives a full perspective to the magnitude of this incredible mountain. Really fortunate also today in the fact it was completely cloud free all day and hardly any wind....still buzzing.
    Darren Fishwick, Chorley.

Banned
    Well done Daz glad you enjoyed it. Wish I was still up there mate.

Quote Originally Posted by Stagger View Post
    Well done Daz glad you enjoyed it. Wish I was still up there mate.
    Cheers Trevor, for the last few years after the race we've stayed up in Scotland for the week in the hope of Munro bagging. More often than not the weather has been bloody awful. I suppose we were due a good week and so far we've certainly had one. Two more days of bagging then Hodder Valley on Saturday, if I run shit it's because I'm bagged out, or I'm just shit.
    Darren Fishwick, Chorley.

Quote Originally Posted by Scodler View Post
    Did you fall just before the bridge and rip the hazard tape down? If so I was the runner behind you asking if you were ok.

If it was you, you were flying when you went down and it looked painful!

Erm, That would be me Scodler and thanks for your concern.
    I lost traction on a rock and got a good "dead leg" and rock rash. Once on my feet I had to disentangle myself from the tape and hop on my way. It's funny how focused you get when people start passing and if your leg fell off I'm sure you would say you are okay. so I got back into gear fairly sharpish.
    However a bit later it dawned on me that this incident could be a Trump card, I'm sure we've all done this.
    The original 10 to 20 secs and a couple of places becomes a bit stretched with every telling of the tale and up to now it's atleast 5 minutes.
    By next year Findlay Wild will be looking over his shoulder in the field and expecting me to come flying past. After all he got away with it this year.
    Andy B CFR
    One step beyond.

There is nothing like the Ben Race for incident, drama, controversy and ultimate 'criac'.

SCOOT's fall sounds very much like mine (longer ago than I care to remember) when I went flying coming down the zig zags. I remember thinking 'this is gonna hurt' as I hurtled towards two large boulders. Somehow, I hit the gap between them, bashed both shoulders but got up and felt no pain....until I got in the shower an hour later.....aaaaarrrggghhhh!

My most treasured possession from years of fell racing is the pewter beer mug saying 'Ben Nevis Race - First Place'. The illusion is only shattered when you read the line below that states 'Serviceman Category'. Still, had to beat a few Ghurkas to claim it and, fortunately, I picked a year when Colin Donnelly WASN'T racing it!

Anyone with a genuine passion for Mountain Racing HAS to do this race, above all others IMHO.
    Simon Blease
    Monmouth

Had a pleasant surprise this morning!! Having completed my 21st race this year I was more than happy with my Connechie Plaque and full size bottle of Ben Nevis Whisky that was presented at prizegiving. This morning however I called at the Post Office to pick up an unexpected package (having had a card from the postman advising a signature was required) which turned out to be a whole side of smoked salmon from Highland Salmon in Fort William.
    There was no note or compliments slip, but I can only assume it comes from the Race organisors or as some form of sponsorship by the suppliers. In any event a nice touch and a very welcome pressy!!
    I know what I'll be having for meals for the weekend now anyway.

Smile

Quote Originally Posted by Also Ran View Post
    Had a pleasant surprise this morning!! Having completed my 21st race this year I was more than happy with my Connechie Plaque and full size bottle of Ben Nevis Whisky that was presented at prizegiving. This morning however I called at the Post Office to pick up an unexpected package (having had a card from the postman advising a signature was required) which turned out to be a whole side of smoked salmon from Highland Salmon in Fort William.
    There was no note or compliments slip, but I can only assume it comes from the Race organisors or as some form of sponsorship by the suppliers. In any event a nice touch and a very welcome pressy!!
    I know what I'll be having for meals for the weekend now anyway.
    Well done Andy, well deserved! Smoked salmon, with scrambled eggs, a breakfast favourite of mine.
    Steve Fish : Clayton Le Moors Harriers

Any idea when entries open for this, I seem to think its January but nowt on the race website?

Banned
    Quote Originally Posted by Fozzy42 View Post
    Any idea when entries open for this, I seem to think its January but nowt on the race website?
    Usually 3rd week of January.