Page 23 of 25 FirstFirst ... 132122232425 LastLast

Thread: What Are Junk Miles

Master and MR

Re: What Are Junk Miles

Quote Originally Posted by Deadlegs View Post
    Are you sure about that? The only cyclist I can recall commiting suicide was about to be arrested for badly injuring and his father and feared jail. Anyway, why not long distant runners and swimmers?
    I know you read a lot about cycling. You are more likely to read about those with problems than those who retire quietly and have a happy life. There are always people who struggle .

Okay now the thread has died down a little, it got a bit to heavy for my liking to be honest. Cycling then. I never mentioned other sports but take your comments on board.
    Suicides after professional cycling have happened over the years. I will re trace the suicide whilst being a professional rider statement. I'm not even going down the drug, depression, suicide route. It's not worth it.
    I notice no comment was made about this side of my statement. Yes Ive read a lot about cycling, yes I've ridden thousands of miles and yes I've also been depressed in the past. Incidentally cycling helped me through it so what does that say.
    Always willing to debate guys but this thread just got a little bit tom much like hard work

I believe that regular exercise can relieve depression and I think medical science is with me on that. I also read somewhere that being outside is good and the countryside even better. Therefore cycling/fell running should be ideal.
    The difference is when a person is a professional sportsman. Imagine training from an early age with all the sacrifice that goes with it and making it as a pro cyclist or footballer or boxer etc. Imagine the buzz of climbing the Alps in the tour or scoring a goal in front of 40,000 people. The money, fame and camraderie. And then stopping in your 30s. Is it any suprise that some struggle. It's not just cycling, think about boxing and how they keep coming out of retirement.
    My point is that it is that the least likely explanation for sportsman being depressed is the sport and training. There are many other factors.

Christopher

If you read what I posted correctly you will see I did not claim anything

Rather, I have asked you one question one point of clarification, neither of which you have answered.

I may not have always agreed with what you posted but I did used to admire how you would 'defend' your side of any debate - but now, it seems you take the side and approach that suits you best - either demand facts and figures, duck and ignore or mock -

I do get it now, as long as everyone accepts your point is correct (even the spelling hitches) and follows you like sheep or lemmings we are all ok

Saz

Thank you at last for the clarification of your views

Saz

Quote Originally Posted by christopher leigh View Post

In response to your questions yes I believe absolute V02 is a reflection of aerobic condition or aerobic fitness. In regard to the drainage of vital chemical resources resulting from overtraining I'd like to give one example that demonstrates the point: Nobody can sprint for more than 20 seconds or so. This is because the reserves of strength are being depleted faster than the body can replace them. These reserves are mostly chemical.

There seems to be a certain amount of time that must elapse before the body can produce and replace the chemicals back to normal levels and in overtraining this can take weeks or months.
    You see. That wasn't so hard now was it?

Keighley - a bit too near lancashire for comfort

Quote Originally Posted by christopher leigh View Post
    Okay I've got it out of my system. I'm going to delete all the posts on this thread that have diverted away from the topic.

In response to your questions yes I believe absolute V02 is a reflection of aerobic condition or aerobic fitness. In regard to the drainage of vital chemical resources resulting from overtraining I'd like to give one example that demonstrates the point: Nobody can sprint for more than 20 seconds or so. This is because the reserves of strength are being depleted faster than the body can replace them. These reserves are mostly chemical.

There seems to be a certain amount of time that must elapse before the body can produce and replace the chemicals back to normal levels and in overtraining this can take weeks or months.

Don't you just hate it when you have to fudge for ages till someone posts the answer you want on Wiki
    Coniv-8 not knowingly evidenced to improve performance

Quote Originally Posted by Antisocial View Post
    Don't you just hate it when you have to fudge for ages till someone posts the answer you want on Wiki
    One thing you can be cock sure about Mr B is that Chris is too much of an independent thinker to use information from Wikipedia.
    The Journey of 1000 miles starts with a single step

Quote Originally Posted by Woo hoo View Post
    Or am I thinking of entropy?
    I'm marvelling at the amount of enthalpy around here.
    Luke Appleyard (Wharfedale)- quick on the dissent

Quote Originally Posted by Roy Scott View Post
    One thing you can be cock sure about Mr B is that Chris is too much of an independent thinker to use information from Wikipedia.
    Are you confusing me with someone...
    Luke Appleyard (Wharfedale)- quick on the dissent

Study of 40,000 people reported in the press today. The conclusion was that leisure time exercise reduces depression. It doesn't work if exertion is part of work. The more exercise that is taken the greater the results.