Page 4 of 25 FirstFirst ... 2345614 ... LastLast

Thread: What Are Junk Miles

Re: What Are Junk Miles

What is the percentage of Tour cyclists who are addicted to cocaine etc. Is it greater than the general population? Is it greater than amongst other sports? Is it a feature of sportsmen retiring young and missing the thrill of competing? Is it, perhaps , linked to the acceptance of performance drug use in the pro peleton?
    Is the least likely reason, if it is in fact true, because of junk miles. or is that why they are called junk miles.

Master

Quote Originally Posted by nikalas View Post
    They are the fastest runners in the world over Ultra distances... what have kangaroos got to do with anything?
    Nikalas you don't even get the implications of your previous post. If long slow miles (junk miles)'build' economy then for every long slow mile ran a gain in economy would result. Since there are ultra distance shufflers who cover 200miles a week or more, you'd expect them to have exceptional economy.

All I'm saying is in that case they should have an economy of motion approaching a Kangaroo.

Master

Quote Originally Posted by Deadlegs View Post
    Not sure I'm following this. Are you suggesting someone training for a marathon should run a few fast miles?
    No. This thread is about junk miles.

Master

Quote Originally Posted by Swiss Toni View Post
    Hmm, if the evidence linking longer runs to anxiety is limited to TDF elites I think I'm safe. My long run phases are not comparable to that.

I actually also love short hard races and agree that they're much harder than longer, steadier runs. I also think 10k races are harder, if you really go for it as there is no hiding place or respite!
    You're failing to understand the connection. Too much training no matter what sport you take part in will affect the brain and consequently the mind in a very negative way.

Quote Originally Posted by christopher leigh View Post
    Nikalas you don't even get the implications of your previous post. If long slow miles (junk miles)'build' economy then for every long slow mile ran a gain in economy would result. Since there are ultra distance shufflers who cover 200miles a week or more, you'd expect them to have exceptional economy..
    They do have exceptional economy.

If you're an ultra runner, then doing long slow miles isn't junk... they're specific to the demands of your sport and therefore incredibly relevant.

Junk miles are simply unfocussed miles without any training purpose relevant to your goals. For many runners, they're the nothing no man's land that are neither slow enough to build economy/endurance or fast enough to raise threshold. They don't have any significant training effect and simply increase the risk of injury. That said, if getting out and just running gives you a psychological boost then it could be argued that that isn't junk.

Master

Quote Originally Posted by Deadlegs View Post
    What is the percentage of Tour cyclists who are addicted to cocaine etc. Is it greater than the general population? Is it greater than amongst other sports? Is it a feature of sportsmen retiring young and missing the thrill of competing? Is it, perhaps , linked to the acceptance of performance drug use in the pro peleton?
    Is the least likely reason, if it is in fact true, because of junk miles. or is that why they are called junk miles.
    Probably the most likely. I actually saw a world class cyclist in my village smoking outside a pub. It's well know that fags affect the chemistry of the brain.

Quote Originally Posted by christopher leigh View Post
    I'm sorry I've got to say this Saz, but if a degree level sport scientist can't even spell 'correlation,' then they probably aren't going to understand anything of value in sports science.
    Very weak and comes across as if you've got a bit of a chip on your shoulder... stop the cheap snipes and answer the question.

Since when has spelling got anything to do with it - everyone knows that I have poor spelling - or do you always like mocking for the sake of it and a feeling of making cheap points?

I will take it that you are unable to answer what are idiotic statements in terms of science even with correct spelling

Master

Quote Originally Posted by nikalas View Post
    They do have exceptional economy.

If you're an ultra runner, then doing long slow miles isn't junk... they're specific to the demands of your sport and therefore incredibly relevant.

Junk miles are simply unfocussed miles without any training purpose relevant to your goals. For many runners, they're the nothing no man's land that are neither slow enough to build economy/endurance or fast enough to raise threshold. They don't have any significant training effect and simply increase the risk of injury. That said, if getting out and just running gives you a psychological boost then it could be argued that that isn't junk.
    Oh I agree in terms of energy, but not in terms of movement. Anyone who shuffles hours on end would naturally be more economical in terms of energy than a 4minute miler, because the pace is slow and when you're constantly draining the energy from your body it will rebel. The only way it can do that is to force the athlete to a speed equal to a shuffle.

So when do you know if you've tipped the balance from good training runs to junk miles?

Don't complicate this question with distances. I run anything from short fells to marathons, and don't tend to do any specific training apart from increase in distances.
    Success is the ability to go from one failure to another with no loss of enthusiasm.