Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

Thread: BG - Keswick Market

BG - Keswick Market

Odd thread title I know.

The BG Club has been contacted by Allerdale Borough Council on behalf of the Keswick market traders and the Market Manager.

With a 6/7.00 pm start time going clockwise gaining in popularity, and with the current upswing in numbers making attempts, there has been some friction between BG contenders and supporters and the Keswick market traders in the vicinity of the Moot Hall late on Saturday afternoons/early evenings.

Specifically, people have been blocking access to market stalls and have responded less then politely, shall we say, when tackled by the Market Manager.

There is a key issue that needs to be understood and acted upon by BG contenders and supporters. Undertaking this challenge does not confer any special status upon you; you are still a member of the human race and a citizen of the UK. Just because you are attempting the BG, neither you nor your pacers and supporters have a licence to depart from normal standards of good behaviour.

Parking needs to be paid for. Litter needs to be cleared up. If there are market traders going about their properly licenced business around the Moot Hall, the fact that they have a living to make should be respected and their representative should be treated in the same way.

I'm really sorry to have to come on here grumbling again, but I have little option in the circumstances when a formal compliant has been made.

The tone of the complaint was pretty friendly and I responded on behaf of the Club in similar vein.

Please would people try and uphold the same standards of behaviour that they would like applying to them.

Thanks.

Morgan
    The only one who can tell you "You can't" is you. And you don't have to listen.

Re: BG - Keswick Market

Morgan

Whilst I accept the complaint has been made in a friendly manner and I think it's right that you respond in the same manner, I have to say that that area of Keswick, and specifically the Moot Hall, should surely be accessable to ALL users....and certainly I can think of one completion I was present at this year where a market trader was less than friendly in the manner in which he requested that we vacate the area.

Of course we don't want to interfere with the right of market traders to carry on their business, which is important to the town. But perhaps a bit of mutual respect could also be encouraged, in not parking a van directly across the Moot Hall doors and not telling a contender and supporters to move, when someone has just finished a 24 hour round and needs a few minutes to recover.

I'm not seeking to be confrontational, you know I'm not that sort of person....just observing what I've seen this year. If people are dropping litter, not paying for parking, causing disturbance at unsociable hours etc, then that is utterly wrong and should be stopped.

Richard
    Loving life in the Highlands

blog

Rich

I made the point that there needs to be some understanding on both sides. At some stage someone will lose their temper I expect.

The market manager is "in charge" of the traders, so we have an open route to make any issues we have clear if that proves to be the case.

I guess some people will see a difference in priority between folk earning a living and those completing a 24 hour mountain challenge.

Sometimes it's not the friendliest place; I've heard some abuse dished out to late night finishers over the years. I made this point (but that's hardly the Council's responsibility). You were lucky to escape!

Maybe it's a succession of things making me feel a bit negative; rudeness to NT employees at Brackenclose, non-payment of normal parking charges in the same place, noise late at night at Threlkeld, litter at Honister and now this.

Another tweak to the Guidance Notes.............and life used to be so simple.

Master and MR

Quote Originally Posted by BGSec View Post
    Rich

I made the point that there needs to be some understanding on both sides. At some stage someone will lose their temper I expect.

The market manager is "in charge" of the traders, so we have an open route to make any issues we have clear if that proves to be the case.

I guess some people will see a difference in priority between folk earning a living and those completing a 24 hour mountain challenge.

Sometimes it's not the friendliest place; I've heard some abuse dished out to late night finishers over the years. I made this point (but that's hardly the Council's responsibility). You were lucky to escape!

Maybe it's a succession of things making me feel a bit negative; rudeness to NT employees at Brackenclose, non-payment of normal parking charges in the same place, noise late at night at Threlkeld, litter at Honister and now this.

Another tweak to the Guidance Notes.............and life used to be so simple.
    I think it comes with being secretary of any type of thing mate.
    Your allowed to be negative sometimes. You do a great job and we are all gratefull for the good work you do.
    You are right to highlight such problems. You wouldnt be doing your job if you didnt.
    One thing I would like to say is that Keswick is a very busy place but its a public place and that means we have as much right as the next person to be there. As fellrunners we pay a fair amount of money into the local economy. We stay in B&Bs, we buy a breakfast or two, we may buy a pair of running shoes. Im not sure how much Jennings beer we purchase but id say its a lot. So in that sense I suppose you could point out to the Market Manager that we actually do purchase items from the market. The olives are very good. I purchased some I know.
    Im sure that most BGs start and finish at the moot hall in good spirits. One thing I have found is that on Market Day it seems that the area near the hall just cannot cope with how many stalls are there. Its just too busy.
    I hope this doesnt start to escalate into a bigger problem. I had quite a large group at the end of mine but the locals cheered me and I had nothing but compliments.

Master and MR

Incidentally what time does the market actually pack away

Master and MR

One thing I would say is that sometimes and Im in no way generalising is that if you have family members and close friends they dont always appreciate what the BG is. ( It took me weeks to get through to my mum that there wasnt going to be a finish tape or finish funnel at the end. She was wanting more for me and I suppose if it had been Market time she could hae potentially have been wantin everyone to clear off just because her son was coming in. This could be a problem but Id be surprised if it was a pacer, navaigator or immediate support who had the problem wth the trader.

Quote Originally Posted by daz h View Post
    Incidentally what time does the market actually pack away
    Not as early as it sets up!

Seem to recall it starts packing up around 6?

Daz

There was an acknowldegement from Allerdale that we are contributing to the local economy in a number of ways.

As usual you have helped me get in in perspective; I'm the first point of contact so I'm going to get it in the neck.

I was a lawyer for 20 years; I'm used to that.

Let's hope it all settles down; with both sides understanding the other has a right to be there.

Master and MR

Its possibly worth putting a note on the BG website making a point about the market.
    Sorry mate Im making you work arnt I

Some positive to give a little balance.

Last Saturday evening the guy with the helicopter allowed us to use the covered area, after closing, outside the cafe at Honister.
    Castlerigg farm campsite is BG friendly and made a point of telling us so last weekend, really nice friendly people who made us feel welcome.
    The last 3 youth hostels we have stayed in have been happy to leave the door open for late arrivals, because we were supporting a BG, the most recent gave us a key to let our selves in.

Loads of people just trying to do their thing, some times a little conflict will happen but there's room for us all to exist.