53. You may not vote on this poll
  • Lord's Rake

53 100.00%
Page 2 of 5 FirstFirst 1234 ... LastLast

Thread: Scafell Pike to Scafell

Re: Scafell Pike to Scafell

Quote Originally Posted by Al Fowler View Post
    Seems like foxes is winning so far.
    And it has the bonus of being significantly less likely to result in a call out for the big yellow bird. Don't under estimate Broad Stand.
    Geoff Clarke

Quote Originally Posted by Al Fowler View Post
    You havent voted!
    Correct, your powers of detection are strong sir my answer would be based on a hazy memory and speculation, i thought it better to leave the serious business to the BG routemasters.
    Luke Appleyard (Wharfedale)- quick on the dissent

A mate of mine (a qualified nurse) once had to tend to someone dying at the bottom of Broad Stand. It's a dangerous place, and not comparable to Striding Edge - I took my kids up Striding Edge a few weeks ago. I've been up & down Broad Stand a few times, both with & without ropes in place, when I was a climber. These days I wouldn't dream of going up there if it wasn't roped up. It's not hard, but it is dangerous, and it is easy to slip in a couple of places.

A few years ago, when I was still climbing, I was walking the Wasdale skyline with some non-climbing friends. I went up Broad Stand, they went up Lord's Rake (I can't remember whether they did the whole Rake or cut across the West Wall Traverse). In any event I was on the summit 10 minutes before them. That was before the rock fall on Lord's Rake. I haven't voted as I don't know how dangerous Lord's Rake is now. I'd certainly give it a very careful recce previous to including it on a long day out.

And what's the dodgy shortcut on the Foxes Tarn route? We need to know more. Where does it go? Why isn't it respectable?
    Andy Robinson
    Runfurther committee member
    Helsby Running Club

Quote Originally Posted by Splatcher View Post
    And what's the dodgy shortcut on the Foxes Tarn route? We need to know more. Where does it go? Why isn't it respectable?
    It's the climbers' traverse beneath the East Buttress. I've heard that there is a bit of a landslip at the Foxes Tarn end but haven't been there recently to confirm this. From memory the traverse is quite straightforward and not dodgy at all.
    Bob

http://bobwightman.co.uk/run/bob_graham.php

Without me you'd be one place nearer the back

Quote Originally Posted by Splatcher View Post
    A mate of mine (a qualified nurse) once had to tend to someone dying at the bottom of Broad Stand. It's a dangerous place, and not comparable to Striding Edge - I took my kids up Striding Edge a few weeks ago. I've been up & down Broad Stand a few times, both with & without ropes in place, when I was a climber. These days I wouldn't dream of going up there if it wasn't roped up. It's not hard, but it is dangerous, and it is easy to slip in a couple of places.

A few years ago, when I was still climbing, I was walking the Wasdale skyline with some non-climbing friends. I went up Broad Stand, they went up Lord's Rake (I can't remember whether they did the whole Rake or cut across the West Wall Traverse). In any event I was on the summit 10 minutes before them. That was before the rock fall on Lord's Rake. I haven't voted as I don't know how dangerous Lord's Rake is now. I'd certainly give it a very careful recce previous to including it on a long day out.

Wise words, thanks alot!

Lords rake and west wall traverse for me. I think it is less than 5 minutes slower than Braodstand - assuming there is only one contender and you don't have to queue - in which case it is probably quicker!

Did the Lord's Rake/West Wall traverse last week and Foxes tarn a few weeks ago, i have also supported a round that used Broad stand, i bailed and went right down to Wasdale. No way am i going up Broad stand - with or without ropes. Foxes tarn feels safest but Lords feels faster, so when i arrive there tomorrow it will be heading towards Foxes. Safety first.

I've only been up lords rake and west wall traverse, which i found quite a buzz. I do like a bit of adrenaline though

Master and MR

Ive done them all a few times
    Foxes Tarn has quite a few variations along the traverse. You can go high or stay low.

For me Al its Broad Stand. Pennine always rope it . Rich T who posts on here is always there with the rope and harness. I prefer just to shin up , BUT NOT IN THE WET, done that once and not nice.
    Although not a climber Ive shinned, climbed, and swung from steelwork all my life( nowadays we have to use cherry pickers but I started in the days before a harness was std issue).
    Last week I made sure the contender was up with the harness on then I just hopped over.

When you get to the nasty bit. Some go with a rope and harness to the right in the corner and whilst the person up top pulls and steadys the rope they go up.
    I prefer to stay left and use the hand hold and pull up. Its a bit closer to the drop but I feel its easier for me.

Be careful If your ever up there and never take any risks. Go through the gap and have a god look beore you decide what your gonna do.
    Lords Rake isnt difficult.

Not sure if my vote for Foxes Tarn counts as I went ACW. Took 35 mins on Sat. including a short picnic at Mickledore. Broad Stand looked busy from there.