Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast

Thread: Hathersage gala fell race

Re: Hathersage gala fell race

Any takers for a win at Holme Moss or Shelf Moor

The way he went off at the start, my dads comment was 'he went out looking for the victory', and 'he started with a purpose!!' I'd say it was a decent bet.....

Quote Originally Posted by IanDarkpeak View Post
    Any takers for a win at Holme Moss or Shelf Moor
    I think that's a tall order, certainly for HM looking at the entry list. Reads like a Who's who of Fell Running - they're pretty well all there.
    However beautiful the strategy, you should occasionally look at the results

Quote Originally Posted by Storyteller View Post
    I think that's a tall order, certainly for HM looking at the entry list. Reads like a Who's who of Fell Running - they're pretty well all there.
    Yes, I reckon top ten would be good for Stuart Bond. Most of his course records are on relatively short races, so they're not a great indicator for Holme Moss. Good luck Stuart, it you're reading this.

Some photos from tonight's Hathersage fell race

https://goo.gl/photos/STsaseS64uroLxG97

Did this lovely little race, with a great turnout of 283, for the first time on Monday as part of my attempted comeback. Pleased with 58th O/A and 1st MV60. More importantly my calf held up and seems OK two days later. Fingers crossed!
    Last edited by Llani Boy; 10-07-2019 at 10:21 AM.
    Visibility good except in Hill Fog

Quote Originally Posted by Llani Boy View Post
    Did this lovely little race, with a great turnout of 283, for the first time on Monday as part of my attempted comeback. Pleased with 58th O/A and 1st MV60. More importantly my calf held up and seems OK two days later. Fingers crossed!
    Good stuff - fantastic time there. Hathersage was my first fell race just two years ago, and I was there again on Monday for my 25th. Finished nearly ten minutes behind you, but I had done Great Hucklow the day before, so I'm claiming a few minutes there
    Consistently bringing my times down but still a way to go...

This lovely 4.5 mile and 1,130 feet race packs a bit of everything to keep runners on their toes. The first running since 2019 saw 178 set off on a sunny, but cool and breezy evening. Perfect.

I got around in 39.17 which saw me 46th overall, 1st M60 and only 11 seconds slower than 2019. Happy with that.
    Visibility good except in Hill Fog

Master
    Within sight of Leicestershire's Beacon Hill
    I arrived at Hathersage nearly three hours before the race start time, so enjoyed a wander round the village, including the decorations in people's gardens for the Gala. I also walked up the first half-mile of the course; if I had gone up the last half-mile, it may have changed my mind about doing the race at all. After mostly pleasant running for four miles, the race finishes with a horrendous half-mile of steep downhill tarmac. I'm blaming the pain in my big toe on that.

There was a brief shower before the start, followed by a lovely rainbow; so at least we weren't going to be drowned. But someone did decide that we needed some more cooling rain while running across the moors. I had gone back to my old ways of starting too fast, as witnessed by the large number of people who were then overtaking me on the uphill (where the paths were wide enough for overtaking). I finished 134th out of 206, but managed 4th out of the 13 M60's, with no F60's in front of me and only one M70 (who came past me on that downhill tarmac section, where I was passed by at least 8 runners, more than had passed me on all the earlier downhill on rough paths).

For the journey home, having apologised to the RO for missing the prize-giving, I hurried down to the station for the 20:38 train to Sheffield. The last direct train from Sheffield to Loughborough was cancelled, but there was a Nottingham train leaving in a few minutes, so I got onto that. On arrival in Nottingham, I could have waited 80 minutes for a connection to Loughborough; but I had my bike with me. It's about 17 miles from Nottingham station to my home, or at least it would be if I didn't make a navigational error straight out of the station entrance, taking the cycle path towards Trent Bridge instead of the one towards Wilford Bridge. Anyway, it took me 98 minutes to get home; one of those rides where you just keep going even though it feels like running on empty, and I was home before that last train would have arrived at Loughborough station.
    Last edited by anthonykay; 04-07-2023 at 09:45 AM.
    In his lifetime he suffered from unreality, as do so many Englishmen.
    Jorge Luis Borges

Well done AK. Sometime I question driving many miles for a very short race, but if you've got biking and train travel it seems like much more of a laudable outing. Plus the warm-up, warm-down and endurance training thrown in!

I know the downhill road bit you mean - too steep to go slowly, and always someone showing you how fast you should be going. I always found it hard.