Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

Thread: Hathersage gala fell race

Hathersage gala fell race

I know it's quite large, partially marked a BS, a 1050ft climb and have looked at the map on the fell race website BUT any advice? Which shoes, walshes, trail or trainers. Is it a decent race? What are the conditions like underfoot, I can see there is a bit on moors and isn't that obvious but any clues DPers. I'll be the (probably only) one in the KCAC vest!!!

Re: Hathersage gala fell race

It's a great little race this, trail shoes should be fine as it's not too rough underfoot apart from a short rocky section on Over Owler Tor. The route follows footpaths, well establised trails and some short road sections and is usually well marshalled so navigation isn't normally an issue. The general theme is one big long climb up to Higgar Tor followed by one long, fast descent back to Hathersage.
    I'm hoping to be there, if I can get away from work early enough.
    Do what you like, like what you do

Cracking race tonight - should probably have worn road shoes, but otherwise great. Very fast climb, and flat out descent (with plenty of tarmac, thus the road shoes desire) with a nice little scrambly bit on Higgar Tor in the middle.

Didn't spot who won, as I was just on the 2nd sheet so didn't look much higher.

Quote Originally Posted by PaulE View Post
    Cracking race tonight - should probably have worn road shoes, but otherwise great. Very fast climb, and flat out descent (with plenty of tarmac, thus the road shoes desire) with a nice little scrambly bit on Higgar Tor in the middle.

Didn't spot who won, as I was just on the 2nd sheet so didn't look much higher.
    Stuart Bond won it in ultrafast time. Someone mentioned it was a course record. 28 something.

Quote Originally Posted by noel View Post
    Stuart Bond won it in ultrafast time. Someone mentioned it was a course record. 28 something.
    Is there a local peak fell race Stuart hasn't won this year?? I can't think of one

Quote Originally Posted by noel View Post
    I can well belive the record time bit, course was super fast and dusty. Well done Noel (I think I spotted your name well above mine, was it top 10?)

Winner did 28m42(I think), about 90sec ahead of 2nd place!! According to my dad, 'he was absolutely flying down the final road'.
    My dads first experince of a fell race, was impressed at the laid back atmosphere and friendliness of it all. Mum and dad thoroughly enjoyed it.
    Cheers for the race, well worth the traveling down... (by the way I was 156th.... abit behind the 2 forumites above)

Quote Originally Posted by PaulE View Post
    Well done Noel (I think I spotted your name well above mine, was it top 10?)
    Yes, just (10th). Thanks.

Each year I forget how much fun this race is. It'll be even better when they turf some of the road sections.

Quote Originally Posted by IanDarkpeak View Post
    Is there a local peak fell race Stuart hasn't won this year?? I can't think of one
    According to local league his record is: run 16, won 16. Not sure how many were course records, last night was and so was Goyt's Moss and Bamford. Think there are a couple more. Black Rocks next week though - Stuart missed a turn last year and missed out. Bet he'll not go wrong this year!

BTW - results:

http://www.johnrdalton.org/hfr/?page_id=49
    Last edited by Storyteller; 06-07-2010 at 02:53 PM. Reason: Add results
    However beautiful the strategy, you should occasionally look at the results

he set a Course record at Calver as well. on a wet slippy night