Thread: Dizziness/blurred vision

Dizziness/blurred vision

I've been on Olmetec for 7 months (for high blood pressure....a hereditary thing) & it seems to have worked. However, when I returned to running 5 months ago after a hernia operation, I get dizzy & have blurred vision if I push it; yesterday, in a 28km/800m Skyrace in the alps (very hot), I had to pack up after 20km......the 2nd time in 35 years that I've not finished an event. Has anyone else had similar problems with blood pressure medication? Any advice welcome, even if it's 'stop running at your age'! (I'm only 61)
    Thanks.

Re: Dizziness/blurred vision

There was another thread on this a while back, the cause can be quite serious in some cases but that's all i can remember.
    Luke Appleyard (Wharfedale)- quick on the dissent

Re: Dizziness/blurred vision

Quote Originally Posted by slowfox View Post
    I've been on Olmetec for 7 months (for high blood pressure....a hereditary thing) & it seems to have worked. However, when I returned to running 5 months ago after a hernia operation, I get dizzy & have blurred vision if I push it; yesterday, in a 28km/800m Skyrace in the alps (very hot), I had to pack up after 20km......the 2nd time in 35 years that I've not finished an event. Has anyone else had similar problems with blood pressure medication? Any advice welcome, even if it's 'stop running at your age'! (I'm only 61)
    Thanks.
    A quick google reveals that blurred vision & dizziness are both recognised side effects along with dehydration and weakness. It may be that it's not the ideal medication for an active person and it might well be worth asking you doctor about alternatives. There usually are alternatives available but much will depend on your medical history.