Page 1 of 4 123 ... LastLast

Thread: Advice on trainers

Question Advice on trainers

Hi all, just after some advise, there are so many trainers out there i dont know what to buy. I'm after something that will suit me for the peak district or that sort of terrain. I've only run three races so far, kinder trog, kinder down fall and the burbage skyline which i've run in my walsh pb, the old type. I'd also like to use the same trainers for short cross country races.

Re: Advice on trainers

Go toSweat Shop in Hyde and try some on, tell them what you want them for.
    Tao begets one. One begets two. Two begets all things.

Quote Originally Posted by Wooly View Post
    Hi all, just after some advise, there are so many trainers out there i dont know what to buy. I'm after something that will suit me for the peak district or that sort of terrain. I've only run three races so far, kinder trog, kinder down fall and the burbage skyline which i've run in my walsh pb, the old type. I'd also like to use the same trainers for short cross country races.
    it is mesmerising isn't it, the amount of choice

a lot of people swear by Inov8 X-talons for cross country and fells in general: I don't think they offer much protection to the foot on the rocky stuff but that's less of an issue in the Peak than the Lakes

Apart from Walshes, Mudclaws are the other really grippy fell shoe, with a sturdier upper than X-talons, but they tear my heels apart and seem to with a lot of people - problem is you don't know until you've been out in them for ten miles

if you're less worried about grip and more about comfort then you could compromise with one of the Inov8 trail range, or Wave Harriers, that sort of thing.

Don't know precisely where you are based Wooly, but given the races you've been in I'll take a punt and strongly suggest you pay a visit if at all possible to accelerate in Sheffield, www.accelerateuk.com .

Stu is a top bloke. He'll sort you out with exactly what you need and not blind you with science and fancy brands.

Actually I was going to post on the 'great service' thread about my most recent visit, but here is just as good. I went in a couple of weeks ago with the intention of buying a pair of x-talons. Had a mug of tea in my hand within two minutes of walking in. Quick chat with Stu, I told him what I was after, we went through all my boring achilles tendonitis problems, then he properly assessed my posture, foot shape and size and did the old gait analysis on the treadmill. He told me that the Inov8s were not suitable at all for me, and recommended a shoe £25 cheaper than the pair he knew I wanted to buy. Brilliant impartial comprehensive friendly advice and service.

And for the record, a couple of weeks on, I've found my ideal shoe and I'm pain free for the first time in about six months. New Balance MT840s. I was a bit unsure about their fell credentials, but Helen Elmore is currently leading the Ladies category in the Gritstone Series whilst using them, and I've given mine some real hammer in the Peak District and the Lake District over the last fortnight and cannot praise them enough. Some may find they don't have a low enough profile (If IDP is reading this he'll have a heart attack ), but given the details in your post they might be a consideration?
    Last edited by simgreen78; 12-07-2010 at 02:42 PM. Reason: Basic spelling
    Be Humble. Sit Down.

Quote Originally Posted by simgreen78 View Post
    And for the record, a couple of weeks on, I've found my ideal shoe and I'm pain free for the first time in about six months. New Balance MT840s. I was a bit unsure about their fell credentials, but Helen Elmore is currently leading the Ladies category in the Gritstone Series whilst using them, and I've given mine some real hammer in the Peak District and the Lake District over the last fortnight and cannot praise them enough. Some may find they don't have a low enough profile (If IDP is reading this he'll have a heart attack ), but given the details in your post they might be a consideration?
    I like the look of these and if they came in the 2E width that NB do in some of their other shoes I'd get a pair in a flash, but the standard NB width is too narrow

Quote Originally Posted by ZootHornRollo View Post
    I like the look of these and if they came in the 2E width that NB do in some of their other shoes I'd get a pair in a flash, but the standard NB width is too narrow
    I know what you mean and I initially thought the same but they might still worth a try in the shop anyway, as when I tried them on the first thing that struck me was how wide the toe box was. Believe me, I have freakishly wide feet (to the extent that an ex-girlfriend used to call me 'Hobbit') but they suit them. They seem much wider than my Inov8 Roclites and Mudrocs, and probably also my Wave Harriers. I like them so much I now have two pairs
    Be Humble. Sit Down.

cheers for the replies . simgreen78 whats the NB like on wet rock or slabs.

So far, no problems at all. On holiday in the Lakes last week I ran them up a damp Haystacks and they coped fine, and then up a very wet Pike of Blisco with zero issues. Although I would add the caveat that these were training runs, not racing, so I wasn't necessarily going at full tilt. They have 'NGrip' which I think is marketing jargon for a stickier rubber sole to aid grip in wet.

Here's the link http://www.accelerateuk.com/product/MT840714 but obviously, try before you buy. I had to go up one size from my normal fit to get it right.

To be honest I'm not now a great believer in anything being infallible in the wet, despite manufacturers' claims, and particularly not when descending. Its the best part of my game and I tend to hammer it, but if it is or has been raining my Roclites just won't cope. Likewise, my Wave Harriers sent me to a mighty tumble after slipping on a wet boulder at Calver Peak last month, and again :w00t: a week later in the wet (nonetheless, WHs are still a really good shoe too). I've learnt painfully not to sacrifice 'real time' judgement in exchange for misplaced faith in marketing hype from now on!! That said the NBs do feel more stable on wet rock but I've not raced in them yet. In fact, I've not raced since Calver Peak so I need to get my backside in gear...
    Be Humble. Sit Down.

Quote Originally Posted by simgreen78 View Post
    I know what you mean and I initially thought the same but they might still worth a try in the shop anyway, as when I tried them on the first thing that struck me was how wide the toe box was. Believe me, I have freakishly wide feet (to the extent that an ex-girlfriend used to call me 'Hobbit') but they suit them. They seem much wider than my Inov8 Roclites and Mudrocs, and probably also my Wave Harriers. I like them so much I now have two pairs
    ah splendid simon, thanks for that, I'll definitely try to find a shop in London that has them then (easier said than done)

glad to hear there are other hobbits out there

my flippers are worsened by hallux valgus and growing bunions, all of which makes shoebuying a real treat ... might have to consider the op if they get any worse

Quote Originally Posted by Wooly View Post
    cheers for the replies . simgreen78 whats the NB like on wet rock or slabs.
    the old orange mudclaw 330s are pretty good on wet rock, but people have had issues with the new yellow ones apparently