Page 1 of 19 12311 ... LastLast

Thread: High Heart Rate - 226 BPM ???

High Heart Rate - 226 BPM ???

Hi, I ran in the Bampton Sports race yesterday with my Garmin Forerunner on. Having analysed my HR for the race I am alarmed that my HR went up to 225bpm at about 0.3 miles and dipped back to 203 bpm at 0.4 miles before raising again to 226 bpm at 0.6 miles. It then came down to about 165 - 172 bpm for the remaining 5 miles. Is this something I should be worried about or are these "spikes" normal when setting off like a lunatic.

Re: High Heart Rate - 226 BPM

were you passed or did you pass any other runners. there HRM may have interfered with yours

HR different with everyone but spikes can occur due to interference from power lines or cross over from other HR straps or weak battery/poor contact to chest. Usually in a race my HR peaks to near max on the approach to the finish, not just after the start! If the majority of your race was at 175BMP and you were running at race pace then I would suggest the spikes were not representative of your actual HR. The heart can 'flutter' or beat shallow and very fast due to certain medical conditions which also could show such high readings but If this was the case I do not think you would continue to run hard as you would become inefficient and have to slow down/stop in order to regain homeostasis.

If you are who i think you are consider two things. Recovery from a BG takes a long while longer than you think. Had similar results with a suunto HRM in the weeks after my round so i started running without it as it freaked me out too much. With some HRMs you can get very high initial readings for it to settle back to normality. In a suunto this usually means the battery in the transmitter needs replacing. Don't know anything about the garmins on this aspect though. There was someone asking something similar on UKClimbing a while back. Maybe worth have a search on there.

Iain

Quote Originally Posted by Gazfrapeerith View Post
    Hi, I ran in the Bampton Sports race yesterday with my Garmin Forerunner on. Having analysed my HR for the race I am alarmed that my HR went up to 225bpm at about 0.3 miles and dipped back to 203 bpm at 0.4 miles before raising again to 226 bpm at 0.6 miles. It then came down to about 165 - 172 bpm for the remaining 5 miles. Is this something I should be worried about or are these "spikes" normal when setting off like a lunatic.
    I suspect that the early part of the race might be an incorrect reading for whatever reason. The 165-172 sounds more normal. Nearly 4 beats per second I suspect might be fatal after a short time!
    Fitness can't be stored. It must be earned over and over, indefinitely.

I agree. Either your heart is at fault or the HRM. I forget the medical term for a run-away heart, but you would certainly have felt it and quite likely would have stopped running or fallen over. I'd suspect the HRM was playing up.

I have a Garmin Forerunner, and I always get an incorrectly high reading when I first turn it on. I now turn the Forerunner on as I warm up, and reset for the run/race.

I've had this but for me its usually the chest strap & sensors not quite right, Ive found if I moisten the sensors and/or adjust the strap things settle down. Plays havoc with your averages when downloaded though!
    "You have brains in your head, your feet in your shoes, you can steer yourself in any direction you choose". Dr Seuss.

I also get high HR reading with my forerunner in the first 1/2 mile of any run. They're normally about 190, then settle down to 145, which is what they should be.

Like Duncs says, if you moisten the chest sensors, it tends to work better.

I've had similar high readings with different monitors, usually before I have worked up enough of a sweat to make good contacts with the chest belt. (I also wondered if the 'jarring' of running on hard ground could send false additional signals if the contact between belt and skin is disrupted momentarily?) - I did Bampton as well, my HRM said an average of 163 and max of 178, which is higher than I would normally expect but this race was flatter and faster than most fell races so that could explain it. However a friend of mine running at the same race (I dont think its you Gaz, unless thats not your real name, but he is from Penrith) had some very high readings on his monitor as well so if a few people experienced this on the same day at the same race perhaps there is another explanation - but I cant think of any power lines or mobile phone masts near to the route that might explain it.
    Last edited by Mark G; 14-07-2010 at 11:23 AM.