Thread: From 6 miles to 13 - advice

From 6 miles to 13 - advice

Hi there,

I am newish to this type of running. I want to run the Windgather race (part of the accelerate Gritstone series) l
    Currently I have run only 5 to 6 miles with a max climb of 1600ft. How difficult will it be to run this longer distance/climb and how do you all advise I make the transition?
    Cheers for any advice

Re: From 6 miles to 13 - advic

Windgather last year was my first ever longish fell race, and it's a good intro to such things. Didn't do any particular preparation for it last year, and there were a couple of tough bits (flagstones across the top from Windgather Rocks, final climb) but it's generally a nice course where you can get into a rhythm.

If you can manage 10+ miles on roughish terrain, then it should be OK I'd say.

Super Moderator

First this you'll probably have to do is. slow down. Don't expect to run 13ml at your 6ml pace to start with. Try a couple of 8 to 9 milers and don't worry about walking the ups, then ease up into double figures. If you can run 10 or 11 you might well find the adrenaline associated with racing carriers you to the end. Take water on your longer runs especially if its hot and something to nibble on too
    Poacher turned game-keeper

Not fingernails.
    Tao begets one. One begets two. Two begets all things.

Quote Originally Posted by Derby Tup View Post
    First this you'll probably have to do is. slow down. Don't expect to run 13ml at your 6ml pace to start with. Try a couple of 8 to 9 milers and don't worry about walking the ups, then ease up into double figures. If you can run 10 or 11 you might well find the adrenaline associated with racing carriers you to the end. Take water on your longer runs especially if its hot and something to nibble on too
    I can't really add much to that - all good advice.

Quote Originally Posted by Derby Tup View Post
    Yes, time on you feet is king, don't get too hung up on distance, run steadier for longer and get some steep hills hill, even at a walk.