Page 1 of 24 12311 ... LastLast

Thread: BG Route to be flagged?

BG Route to be flagged?

After thinking about this for a few weeks I have decided to post. I know this has been dicussed before, but here we go!
    At 1am on my recent ACW round my pacers and I were shocked to find a series of luminous canes marking the path from below Hare Crag up to the fence line below Skiddaw.
    We resisted the temptation to knock them over, but all agreed that such route marking was not in the spirit of the BGR. Myself and my pacers were relying on our years of orienteering experience, the numerous recces we had done and our mountain craft, and did not need such artificial help.
    On reaching the summit of Skiddaw we met the BGR contender and his group of pacers who had put out the markers. After suggesting that they learnt to read a map rather than mark the route with canes I jogged dwon to Keswick.
    Should such blatant use of route marking be allowed? Where will it stop? Flags all the way round?
    Yes, I know cairns keep appearing on trods and routes, but these are a natural (if man-made) feature of the hills. I tended not to follow these cairned routes anyway as I found that they often go the wrong way!
    What would Bob Graham have made of it all?

Super Moderator

Re: BG Route to be flagged?

Poacher turned game-keeper

Banned

Lets tarmac it. And be done.:w00t:
    A couple of support vehicles could drive just behind the contender.
    There could also be stratigically placed brew vans along the route.
    Street lights would be an advantage as folk wouldnt have to worry about carrying a torch.

Any hills that are too steep or technical could be flattened out.

Infact sod this running murlarky couldnt we have another class for those that prefer to drive round the route.

There were similar reflective posts in 2004 when on one of my first attempts. A couple of weeks ago when recceing leg one with Derby Tup and Mr1470 we came across an arrow in the grass made out of stones. This was by the fence on Skiddaw. We dismantled it. I'd do the same with reflective poles - the path over Hare Crag is like a motorway these days, if you can't follow that then you shouldn't be in the fells!
    Bob

http://bobwightman.co.uk/run/bob_graham.php

Without me you'd be one place nearer the back

Quote Originally Posted by #1Spookster View Post
    On reaching the summit of Skiddaw we met the BGR contender and his group of pacers who had put out the markers.
    What a missed opportunity!

Think of the look on their faces if you'd handed them all back then
    Bill

Thanks Spookster for posting.

I was made aware of this situation last week and was able to take the issue to the BG Club committee meeting held on Friday.

The view, unsurprisingly, was that marking the BG route is not within the traditions, spirit or ethos of the BG Club pioneers.

The committee took the view that if the Club receives evidence of this type of marking, any contender applying for ratification of membership who we know has (or whose support team we know has) engaged in such making, will not be admitted to membership.

If I can find out who the CW contender was, I will take steps to see that the matter is dealt with in this way.

Unfortunately, I will also have to add some language to the Club's Guidance Notes to make this clear. The guidance will discourage the building of cairns also.

Thank goodness Fred wasn't at the meeting; I hate to think of his reaction.

Bob referred to some reflective markers on the Calva posts; I removed these last time I was recceing Leg 1 C/W.

I'm almost speechless; and those who know me will know that is a rare condition.
    The only one who can tell you "You can't" is you. And you don't have to listen.

Quite in agreement with you on that Morgan. I've come across the occasional small cairn in other locations that I have dismantled, usually when they are visible from walkers' paths. An example would be at the top of the rakes on Bowfell. With a few exceptions most of the BGR is well marked on the ground, either because the route follows existing paths or various attempts have created a path. Contenders should be able to navigate across these remaing sections, use GPS if necessary - "leave nothing but footprints, take nothing but photographs"
    Bob

http://bobwightman.co.uk/run/bob_graham.php

Without me you'd be one place nearer the back

Not that I am yet in the legue of the BG, but, I do intend to have a go in the future and agree with all that has been said on this thread. I also think GPS is a bit of a cop out.

Why the hell would you have to mark up Skiddaw. Being new to BG recceing I did leg 1 about a week ago and even with my limited navigational skills I found my way no problem. Didn't even turn the GPS on.
    I joined my local orienteering club to gain more nav experience and would regard such marking of the route as cheating. Cheating yourseklf more than anything.
    It's not that difficult. Just orientate the map, take a bearing and head for the next big hill.
    Harveys even do a map with the route on it.
    I suppose its just human nature to make life easier for yourself but this kind of thing defeats the whole ethos of the challengs

I'n in complete disagreement here. If you wish to use any markers to make it easier then you shouldn't have anyone trying to tamper with it that may result in ruining their Bob Graham round.

One person suggests that it is not within the ethos of the round yet another poster agrees but is okay with using GPS, surely GPS is worse if anything?