Page 14 of 24 FirstFirst ... 41213141516 ... LastLast

Thread: BG Route to be flagged?

Re: BG Route to be flagged?

Quote Originally Posted by SpeedMaestro View Post
    Try reading what you've typed through before you send, maybe then you'll see how condescending you come across.
    Dear me

The comment was a little tongue in cheek and directed at Fellmincer (who is quite capable of navigating around fell tops in any weather)

But navigation and route choice is what differentiates fell running with other forms of running, the quickest doesn't always win, its one of the reasons I love it.
    Bill

Quote Originally Posted by SpeedMaestro View Post
    I am a fell runner, not a navigator.
    Classic!

FRA Calendar, Introduction (page 9 of the 2010 Calendar)

3. Navigational Skills

Anyone competing in any of the events listed in this Calendar should note that races are organised on the premise that competitors have the necessary skills to cope with the navigational problems which may arise - whatever the weather!! Note that mist may cause confusion in even the shortest of events.

(My emphasis with the bold type.)

Suggest you get some practice in if you are going to continue fell running.
    The only one who can tell you "You can't" is you. And you don't have to listen.

Quote Originally Posted by Stolly View Post
    it was the cairns that actually got us to the top. Scafell pikle is a boulder field at the best of times but under fresh snow there just aren't any paths to see. Soooo.. not all cairns are litter.
    Can't have been that bad Stolly I've been up there plenty of times when the cairns are buried as well, then what are you going to do :wink:
    Bill

" Suggest you get some practice in if you are going to continue fell running."

There is no need to practice yet, I'm focused on the much shorter races that do not need navigational skills for this very reason. I've done plenty of events in the FRA calender and most (I've done slight deviations to the standard course on some of them I'll admit) have required absolutley no effort in navigation and I've not carried any equipment for a single one yet, there has been no need.

"But navigation and route choice is what differentiates fell running with other forms of running, the quickest doesn't always win, its one of the reasons I love it. "

As said with the comment above, I've had no need to navigate with the races I choose to do. The fastest man has won, doesn't stop it from being a fell race though.

"Navigational skills are an important part of being in the hills, why else would the FRA run two nav courses a year? One is up at Kettlewell, not too far for you to get to."

As I say, I don't need those skills as they aren't essential in my races.

"Therein lies the problem - in some respects you cannot be a fell runner and not be a navigator. Without navigation skills you may not be a beginner but many would argue that you still have a lot to learn about fell running."

I can do basic navigation when required, boulsworth fell race required navigation, I just made sure i knew the route beforehand so i didn't have to navigate in the race. In some repsects you can be a fell runner but not a navigator.
    I go on the B of the Bang

We've been down the road of cairns before on any path or route, they are by Construction and design an aid to erosion and a way to reduce your attention to finding your way. They provide no practical means to aid navigation. lThey do not point the way (Unless they are marked on a map) or give any idea as to your correct position. Remember they are man made and can be man moved as so are not usable as a Nav aid.

If you were to put them on the BG they would have to be fixed and carry a BG logo(for those who didn't know where they were) surely not in the spirit of adventure.
    Last edited by IanDarkpeak; 23-07-2010 at 03:22 PM.

There is always need to practice navigation
    Bob

http://bobwightman.co.uk/run/bob_graham.php

Without me you'd be one place nearer the back

Quote Originally Posted by Bob View Post
    There is always need to practice navigation
    Always ...

Always? I'm pretty sure my track running won't benefit from it, so maybe not always
    I go on the B of the Bang

Quote Originally Posted by IanDarkpeak View Post
    Always ...
    Not that I'd know anything about being in a whiteout on the Cairngorm plateau and insisting that the white end of the needle pointed north
    Bob

http://bobwightman.co.uk/run/bob_graham.php

Without me you'd be one place nearer the back

Quote Originally Posted by Baggins View Post
    Can't have been that bad Stolly I've been up there plenty of times when the cairns are buried as well, then what are you going to do :wink:
    To be fair it was pussy cat conditions as can be seen from my Kenny from Southpark look alike taken beside the Scafell wind shelter at the time....