Thread: Swollen Ankles/Calves

Normanton, Wakefield. West Riding of Yorkshire

Swollen Ankles/Calves

After my inauguration into 'L' category events on Sunday, with 'Holme-Moss', I noticed a problem last night.

Monday, I was just sore & stiff

Last night though, when I got ready for bed, I noticed that both calves were 'rock-hard', and my ankles had disappeared (together with swollen feet)

I'm surmising that it was the (archetypal) 'Day After Tomorrow' injury syndrome, & that it was simply due to an amalagamation of;
    - Distance (my longest run/event ever)
    - Time I was running (longest time ever)
    - The 'twisting'/'pounding' whilst running (especially all of the 'tussocky grass', & the rocky sections of path)

In the considered opinion of the Jury;
    - Is this as suggested above?, & will go away shortly?
    - Or is it a sign of a deeper routed problem & requires the attention of a GP?

- Yes, you can take the 'proverbial' out of me if you want...... after giving me a straight answer

I ask, as I've never suffered from anything like this before, not even after my first half-marathon (ran a 'Trunce' the day after that)

Thanks in advance
    Generally to be found plodding along with 'www.ackworthroadrunnersandac.co.uk'

Re: Swollen Ankles/Calves

Almost certainly the former, you've asked your muscles and joints to do lots of rather new and demanding things. I woke up on Monday to find I'd sprained my ankle in a fall on the way down to Heyden Brook, thank goodness for endorphins.
    Try a very slow and gentle jog on grass to loosen things up and then some gentle stretching.

Normanton, Wakefield. West Riding of Yorkshire

Thanks, as stated, that's what I presumed.

Thinking about it, I reckon it was the section from the top of Laddow with all the rocks that really jiggered them up.

Hope yours is okay
    Generally to be found plodding along with 'www.ackworthroadrunnersandac.co.uk'

Fully agree with BL. Get a recovery run in Richard to get the blood circulating and flushing through your system, and get stretching!
    Be Humble. Sit Down.

I think you may have incipient varicose veins. I recognise the rock-hard calves from times when I was doing long distance walks, but haven't had that problem since I had my varicose veins injected. ( I do however still suffer from one mildly swollen ankle and foot.) Next time, knee high compression socks might well help to reduce your symptoms and also prevent the varicose veins from getting worse. You do need to get them from the chemist, not a sports shop, and consult the measurement chart on the packet to make sure they fit correctly. If you, like me, are not a standard size you might have to have them made to measure (the chemist takes hundreds of measurements from each leg and foot.) The best way is to persuade your GP to prescribe them, as they don't come cheap. I find them gloriously comfortable, wear them every day from getting up to going to bed. They are available in black as well as that dreadful flesh colour.

You could also sleep with your feet higher than your heart, also to help the venous return.
    Begin afresh, afresh, afresh.