Page 1 of 20 12311 ... LastLast

Thread: Welsh 3000's

Welsh 3000's

Boy Wonders posting on the preserved status of Tryfan got me thinking and dreaming and, with the demise of the Steam Bunny Summer Extravaganza this year, a bad thought grew in my head....yup, time to have a crack at the 3000's. Probably have a go in early August. If anyone is around who can meet me with some chow at Ogwen and or Nant Peris, please let me know. Also, if anyone wants to come along, let me know too. I shall be aiming for 9-10 hours.
    Simon Blease
    Monmouth

Re: Welsh 3000's

Quote Originally Posted by Wheeze View Post
    Boy Wonders posting on the preserved status of Tryfan got me thinking and dreaming and, with the demise of the Steam Bunny Summer Extravaganza this year, a bad thought grew in my head....yup, time to have a crack at the 3000's. Probably have a go in early August. If anyone is around who can meet me with some chow at Ogwen and or Nant Peris, please let me know. Also, if anyone wants to come along, let me know too. I shall be aiming for 9-10 hours.
    so i take it that this is a walk then and not a run?

I shall be employing Ruddles Rule. If Donnelly took 4 hours 15 mins, I shall double that and add 1 hour contingency. But would be chuffed to get in around the 8 hour mark. 20 years ago I was doing Welsh 1000 in 4.20.
    Simon Blease
    Monmouth

i think Donnelly did it in 4;19.
    A fellrunner should do it quite easily in 8 hours or under,dont put yourself down (leave that to me) be confident.
    good luck

Sure, I think that is achievable but over the years I have learnt not to be overoptimistic...that way you are always pleasantly surprised. I know that, using Ruddles Rule I can cover mountainous terrain at 3.3 mph all day....our average for the 160 mile Dragons Back. So I should get across the 26 mile 3000's route in just under 8 hours. But I know how things can slow you up, like navigating a dense cloud or having to trash along all day in the rain. So thats why I plumped for 9-10 hours.
    Simon Blease
    Monmouth

OK. So. Date set. Sat 7th August. If anyone else fancies coming along I shall be at the summit of Snowdon at 8 am. Who's playing?!
    Simon Blease
    Monmouth

Not me but it's a classic day out. Have a good one!

:closed:Wait for me......too late. Umm. No. Have Snowdon 7's race following weekend but chance I may be up there that weekend for 'recce' thingy. Far too disorganised to plan that far ahead!

Need to do this, tried 2 years ago with Caz (Happyonthehills) and had 'wheelscomeoff' day and aborted with serious dehydration on Glyders, but flying the next day on Hebog - bloody typical . Caz carried on of course, he would have been all day waiting for me.

Not that I've done anything yet, simply hoping that no bodily parts break or fall off in next 3 weeks. If all goes well on 7's would have had a go, maybe. Keep in touch for backup, see if I'm about.
    Don't roll with a pig in poo. You get covered in poo and the pig likes it.

Tried this last year, got the service train up Snowdon on a day that was forecast to be dry but cloudy, but on the way up at Clogwyn realised that it was going to be a wet day. By the time I got to Nant I was wet through, but went up Elidir in stormy conditions and once at the summit decided to call it a day and went back home. I was both gutted and p****d off to waste a day off work only for the weather to beat me! Good luck Wheeze, hope you get better weather than I got, don't believe the Met Office web site before you set off!

Quote Originally Posted by Wheeze View Post
    OK. So. Date set. Sat 7th August. If anyone else fancies coming along I shall be at the summit of Snowdon at 8 am. Who's playing?!
    Love to come and join you but I'll be some where very hot instead with the family

Quote Originally Posted by IanFitz View Post
    Not me but it's a classic day out. Have a good one!
    might use it as a training run for next year. Emailed charlie earlier.