Page 18 of 20 FirstFirst ... 81617181920 LastLast

Thread: Welsh 3000's

The only dodgy conditions you will probably find on Crib Goch in summer is wind or millions of people slowing you up, especially at weekends. If you haven't been up there before it might be prudent to do a recce just so you don't get any suprises.
    Visibility good except in Hill Fog

Hmmm it would be a weekend. A saturday morning is planned, this all assumes we can travel on the weekend my cottage is booked, which is by no means guaranteed yet.

Although i'd be looking to be on my way up onto Snowdon by half 7, therefore starting the clock on Snowdon by 9, so hopefully avoiding the very worst of the crowds as i'd imagine i'd be on my way off CG by 9:30ish

On those timings you'd definitely beat the crowds.

Start from the Carneddi end. So much nicer to finish on Snowdon and the climbs are much better.

That is a thought, and would make getting back afterwards a lot more convenient.

Although i'm not looking to challenge the Donnelly's, Wild's and Naylor's of this world, i'm still looking to be as quick as i can manage. I'll have to take a read of my book and see if it indicates the loss of time doing north-south...

Thanks for the suggestion.

On that note... after Elidr Fawr, if i then descended the Peris race route to Llanberis, then the railway path up SNowdon, and finishing on Crib Goch summit... Any idea if that would be much slower than reversing the traditional 3000's route to Nant Peris, Crib Goch north ridge, etc....?

Travs, having given you advice on your intention to start at the Snowdon end I would, having done it both ways, concur with MattPo that starting on the Carneddau is the most enjoyable way.
    The finish on Snowdon, after the Crib Goch ridge,gives a far bigger sense of achievement than finishing on the featureless Foel Fras and a long walk off.

Thank you both. I will digest all info and make a decision. I'm not too fussed about a long run off from the northern end to be honest, but i can appreciate the sense of occasion finishing on Snowdon.

All of the above is minor in the grand scheme of things. Far bigger is whether i'll be able to do it all. Travel restrictions, accommodation being open, appropriate parts of the Snowdonia National Park being open, all need to fall in my favour between now and early June.

Thanks all for your comments and advice... however in view of last night's announcement, and particularly the stricter regulations in Wales, i can't see this attempt happening in early June. Have cancelled my cottage booking and unless there's a monumental turnaround in the next few weeks its off...

Master
    Within sight of Leicestershire's Beacon Hill
    If Aran Fawddwy was just 30 feet higher, it would make doing the Welsh 3000's in a day so much more fun.
    In his lifetime he suffered from unreality, as do so many Englishmen.
    Jorge Luis Borges