Page 10 of 20 FirstFirst ... 89101112 ... LastLast

Thread: Welsh 3000's

Re: Welsh 3000's

Hate to say I told you so but an impressive outing nonetheless! Would really enjoy a
    mass run of this next year but I shall still want to nail a solo attempt. The Bethesda tip makes this much more practical.
    Simon Blease
    Monmouth

Quote Originally Posted by Wheeze View Post
    How dim am I? Never really thought of that, just looked for quickest way off the hill but I suspect it,s not much longer to Bethesda than Aber. Thats a great tip and makes a true solo attempt much more reasonable.
    It doesn't make much difference if you catch a bus from Aber or Bethesda as neither has a direct bus service to Llanberis so you'd have to go to Bangor first and then catch a bus to Llanberis from Bangor. As both Aber and Bethesda are of a similar distance to Bangor and both have good bus services to the city then your best bet would be to take the shorter route down to Aber from Foel Fras.

Quote Originally Posted by Wheeze View Post
    Hate to say I told you so but an impressive outing nonetheless! Would really enjoy a
    mass run of this next year but I shall still want to nail a solo attempt. The Bethesda tip makes this much more practical.
    Yes was a long shot, particularly as I've not dot done anything over 20 miles since a 3 Peaks recce in Feb . Good day out though and the lack of stamina has given me the motivation for some better winter training.

Reckon there'll be a few up for a mass attempt next year. Like yourself I'd like to solo it too.

Quote Originally Posted by Llechan Wlyb View Post
    It doesn't make much difference if you catch a bus from Aber or Bethesda as neither has a direct bus service to Llanberis so you'd have to go to Bangor first and then catch a bus to Llanberis from Bangor. As both Aber and Bethesda are of a similar distance to Bangor and both have good bus services to the city then your best bet would be to take the shorter route down to Aber from Foel Fras.
    Thanks Llechan thats good extra info. Perhaps I ain't so dim after all!
    Simon Blease
    Monmouth

When I did the 3000ers I left the car in a lay-by just off the A5 below Tryfan and set off up the concrete road via Craig yr ysfa to Carnedd Llewelyn. Then out to Foel Fras and back the same way to CL, then Carnedd Dayfyd, Pen yr ole Wen and back to the car for a bite to eat and drink + restock, before setting off over Tryfan and Glyders. At Pen y Pass I was prepared to jog down road to P-Y-G then walk up the big climb over to Cwm Tryfan and back to the car, but managed to get a lift from the car park round to Ogwen. Not sure if this properly qualifies as unsupported though?
    Do what you like, like what you do

I know it's not in the same boat as running it, but I walked the Welsh 3s yesterday and it took 11 hours 30 mins summit to summit. Mind you, it was damn windy and very rainy all the way from PYP to Ogwen.

I felt surprisingly good all the way around, so definitely going to give a go at running it next year!

Morning all , me and a pal are having a bash at the 3000ers (been on my to do list for a couple of years now) on sat and wonderd if anyone had any advice on0the route ? Were camping round tryfan and can get a lift to snowdon , read turnbull and clayton book and was following that route then on last sumit turning round and retracing to lyn ogwen and then back to campsite . More of a steady training day and enjoy the route sort of day any advice welcome and anyone fancy a steady day welcome :-)

Which bits..

If you want a quick summit to summit time, walk or train up Snowdon > Carnedd Ugain > Crib Goch, turn around and return to bwlch Coch > Cwm Glas > Nant Peris > main path up Elidir usual route to Tryfan.

From there you have two options, down the west gully to the base of that, some steps, you can either carry on to Ogwen Cottage, or descend right down to the milestone butress. I prefer using Ogwen as its a nicer descent.

From Ogwen head tO Carnedd Llewelyn but traverse left along a trod, hold your height and arrive at Yr Elen.. then of out to the end...

The only big choices are how to start, returning to bwlch coch and what to do between Tryfan and Pen Yr Ole Wen.

My advice would be to keep your eye out for me, 'cos I happen to be walking this on Saturday as a warm-up for running it with the Vegans next month (when you say 'steady day', do you mean a steady day's running?)

Three of us will be starting from PYP at approx 4am, and doing C.Goch first, then G. Ugain and Snowdon.

Prefered descent from Snowdon:

"Walk down the Llanberis path, veer off behind Clogwyn Station, follow the railway track down through ‘Rocky Valley’ and you will see a fence on your left bordering the steep ground that drops to Nant Peris. Follow this fence until it veers right, and there lies a little stile. The stile marks the start of a faint path down to Gwastadnant that it quite steep but not punishingly so. It ends at the bank of the Afon Nant Peris very close to the footbridge at SH 608 579. Job’s a good ‘un"

For descending Tryfan, we always drop back down the south ridge, veering right a little to pick up a scree gully that takes you down nearly the shores of Llyn Bochllwyd, it's indirect but not so steep.

My report of a walking version, including further route description and lots of nice photos here:

http://www.walkingforum.co.uk/index.php?topic=14564.0

We raised £1240 for MRT.

Quote Originally Posted by Joester View Post
    My advice would be to keep your eye out for me, 'cos I happen to be walking this on Saturday as a warm-up for running it with the Vegans next month (when you say 'steady day', do you mean a steady day's running?)

Three of us will be starting from PYP at approx 4am, and doing C.Goch first, then G. Ugain and Snowdon.

Prefered descent from Snowdon:

"Walk down the Llanberis path, veer off behind Clogwyn Station, follow the railway track down through ‘Rocky Valley’ and you will see a fence on your left bordering the steep ground that drops to Nant Peris. Follow this fence until it veers right, and there lies a little stile. The stile marks the start of a faint path down to Gwastadnant that it quite steep but not punishingly so. It ends at the bank of the Afon Nant Peris very close to the footbridge at SH 608 579. Job’s a good ‘un"

For descending Tryfan, we always drop back down the south ridge, veering right a little to pick up a scree gully that takes you down nearly the shores of Llyn Bochllwyd, it's indirect but not so steep.

My report of a walking version, including further route description and lots of nice photos here:

http://www.walkingforum.co.uk/index.php?topic=14564.0

We raised £1240 for MRT.

The Tryfan descent is OK, just head down the North ridge for 20 yards then drop off.. The south ridge is rough anyway and you add a fair bit of distance..

Re your descent. We use a later one when guiding the 3000ers, from a top after Llechogg roughly SH 601 574. Its not as steep and also removes all the road section, but if its cloudy or wet don't take it.. CWm Hetiau (your one) is used by others but there have been a few accidents there..