Page 11 of 20 FirstFirst ... 910111213 ... LastLast

Thread: Welsh 3000's

Re: Welsh 3000's

Quote Originally Posted by IainR View Post
    The Tryfan descent is OK, just head down the North ridge for 20 yards then drop off.. The south ridge is rough anyway and you add a fair bit of distance..
    It's a personal thing, I'd rather clamber over a few boulders than walk down a really steep slope, it hurts my knees less!

Re your descent. We use a later one when guiding the 3000ers, from a top after Llechogg roughly SH 601 574. Its not as steep and also removes all the road section, but if its cloudy or wet don't take it.. CWm Hetiau (your one) is used by others but there have been a few accidents there..
    No, my description aims to describe the former. The stile is 'where the 1:25k map states '610' on the contours, and that's at the grid ref. you state (ish).
    We're at this point in the 13th photo in my report.
    Again, this is a preference to avoid the steep ground of Cwms Hetiau and Glas Bach. As you say, there's about 200 yrds on the road before you get to Nant Peris car park.

Quote Originally Posted by Joester View Post
    It's a personal thing, I'd rather clamber over a few boulders than walk down a really steep slope, it hurts my knees less!

No, my description aims to describe the former. The stile is 'where the 1:25k map states '610' on the contours, and that's at the grid ref. you state (ish).
    We're at this point in the 13th photo in my report.
    Again, this is a preference to avoid the steep ground of Cwms Hetiau and Glas Bach. As you say, there's about 200 yrds on the road before you get to Nant Peris car park.
    Ah Ok.. yeah agree that's better than Hetiau.. but if going for a quick time peak to peak I think Snowdon summit > CG > bwlch Coch and Nant is the optimal route.. but valley to valley its quicker to drop our way..

With walking groups who aren't so anal about record times we almost always use the way you suggest.. but once in terrible weather I descended down to Llanberis and went up through the quarries.. the group loved that though, quite a change. We did Crib Goch at 4 am and could see the storm coming in and it hit as we arrived at Carnedd Ugain summit.. in the end they dropped out at Tryfan though as it just got worse and they realised they had ran out of pub time...

Just read your report.. good one.. great photos..
    Last edited by IainR; 22-05-2012 at 02:31 PM.

Thanks, it was a rare day (although Saturday's looking promising too!).

Call me a fair weather walker/runner, but I think if the weather was bad I'd soon sack it off!

Old Un - could you tell me what you look like so I can keep an eye out for you? I assume you don't actually look like Grandpa Flump?

Hi chaps thanks for info most helpfull I'll put against the map when I get in . Joester - I'm 5.10ish crew cut hair middle aged and talk too much so you'll hear me before u see me probably and will be in a blue zip neck tshirt with a youngef lad. Were going to have jog round hopefully but more intrested in enjoying the day and doing this classic than clocking a time. The weather is looking promising too. Ianr- Is it worth carrying a camelback or is there enough drinkable stream water on way round for abottle ?

Oops meant to ask joester what will your possy be and we'll keep a look out for you mate .

I suspect you'll have reliable water at Llyn y Cwn, as you climb Glyder Fawr, then Ogwen, and then again as you traverse under Carnedd Llewelyn you cross a spring. Otherwise there's also a tap in Nant Peris..There's not much on Snowdon.. you'll get some as you decsend the llechogg flanks..

I always risk it and go summit to Nant > the glyders water > carneddau spring.. which should still be running this early in the year. You can sometimes get water as you climb elidir and as you traverse under Mynydd Perfedd but that's far more unreliable.. it depends how quick you'll be between, the weather and how much you want to risk it.. I'd be tempted to take a camel back if you aren't pushing for a quick time..

Cheers ian I'll take the camel this time then :-)

Hi old un.
    There will be three of us (maybe four), walking. I'm the chap with the dark green sunhat and black tshirt in that report I linked to. I shall probably have the sunhat on again this Saturday. The thin ginger-haired lady in the report will be with me (if you hear squeeling on Crib Goch, it's her), I haven't met the 3rd chap at this moment in time.
    We have support in Nant Peris and Ogwen, so if we do happen to bump into you near either of those places you are welcome to share our water/drinks/nibbles.

hi joester thanks for the offer thats really good of you and appreciated were setting off a bitt later than you but hope to catch and meet you. my mates no climber either so will probably cry just as much. hopefully see you sat :thumbup:

Which bits..

If you want a quick summit to summit time, walk or train up Snowdon > Carnedd Ugain > Crib Goch, turn around and return to bwlch Coch > Cwm Glas > Nant Peris > main path up Elidir usual route to Tryfan.

From there you have two options, down the west gully to the base of that, some steps, you can either carry on to Ogwen Cottage, or descend right down to the milestone butress. I prefer using Ogwen as its a nicer descent.

From Ogwen head tO Carnedd Llewelyn but traverse left along a trod, hold your height and arrive at Yr Elen.. then of out to the end...

The only big choices are how to start, returning to bwlch coch and what to do between Tryfan and Pen Yr Ole Wen.

Morning chaps put your info and the book on the map yest looks like a good day out. theres One or grey areas that I was after confirming . The walk up from nant peris to sumit in the book it says take the path until0you cross a fb then leave path and head cross country striaght to sumit , is this right or best to follow papath to top and nip back for sumit ? . And secondly the descent off tryfan , looking at going down west gully as never been down it always come down south ridge after a climb or scramble, ian do you mean west gully is 20 yards past summit then drop down it to steps ? I take it you then make a line to the road then ogwen hd and striaght up path on peny ol wen ?