Page 12 of 20 FirstFirst ... 21011121314 ... LastLast

Thread: Welsh 3000's

Re: Welsh 3000's

Quote Originally Posted by old un View Post
    Morning chaps put your info and the book on the map yest looks like a good day out. theres One or grey areas that I was after confirming . The walk up from nant peris to sumit in the book it says take the path until0you cross a fb then leave path and head cross country striaght to sumit , is this right or best to follow papath to top and nip back for sumit ?
    Main path to the little footbridge then there's a trod that takes you all the way to the top, trending diagonally up and across the hillside, up the scree for the last bit.

And secondly the descent off tryfan , looking at going down west gully as never been down it always come down south ridge after a climb or scramble, ian do you mean west gully is 20 yards past summit then drop down it to steps ? I take it you then make a line to the road then ogwen hd and striaght up path on peny ol wen ?
    Go north off the summit blocks then immediately drop left into the gully which is full of big boulders.

Then a steep path with some long sections of stone steps takes you down the hillside, either carry on down to the road and along that to Idwal Cottage, or cut across directly to the Idwal path... I take a line underneath Bochlwyd Buttress around the 400m contour level, its a bit boggy in places but nothing too bad.

Thanks very much for that elliptic exactly what I was after :-). Out of intrest, were camping at tryfan site and
    when we hit last sumit was going to back track to ogwen head and back along rd is there any paths or trods to drop us down peny ol wen and on the east side of lyn ogwen to cut the rd usage down ?

Thanks very much for that elliptic exactly what I was after :-). Out of intrest, were camping at tryfan site and
    when we hit last sumit was going to back track to ogwen head and back along rd is there any paths or trods to drop us down peny ol wen and on the east side of lyn ogwen to cut the rd usage down ?
    yeah as el says, from the footbridge there is an obvious path to the summit.. its confused by the footpath marked on the map which isn't there.. that carries on up the valley floor then climbs up towards the bwlch after elidir..but in reality there is nothing on the ground so totally ignore that..

Tryfan: Its obvious.. descend some slabs N, obvious bwlch, then down a steep scree and rock filled gully.. at the base you'll find a long section of rocky steps in the grass.. this path runs steeply down to boggy ground and head along this to hit the river shortly before the A5..

There's a path round the back of Llyn Ogwen but I'd drop off sooner into Cwm Llugwy or Cwm Lloer... assuming you're on the Uchaf site you can get back pretty much directly either way.

Yeah drop direct of Craig llugwy SH 678 632.. or further along into Cwm lloer.. the earlier descent is OK but there can be a few access issues but I've used it.. if you get into cwm lloer you hit the east ridge of PYOW path and follow that down.. descend from roughly SH 670 630 for that one..

There's a good path down the east ridge of PYOW, it has one easy scrambling section.. the dogs do it.. otherwise fine..

Thanks ian and thanks elliptic you've very helpfull , I'll put that on the map when I get in . Get todays work out the way and over we come and have bash :-)

Hey old un, how did you get on?

It will be apparent that we didn't meet. We missed out Crib Goch because of the wind, made good time to Ogwen, and then fell asleep for an hour and a half by the llyn whilst we were waiting for our support to arrive! We got moving again at 4pm, and were on Foel Fras at 9pm. Lovely day!

hi joester weldone on your round a great acheivment in them conditions mate, ours didnt go so well my mate had kittens on crib goch in the wind and looking after him i missed the drop off and we had to traverse round to get back round valley to nant and we lost alot of time. got to tryfan and the sun and wind had took their toll and we didnt take torches and reckoned we may have to back track in dark so called it a day and i took my mate the scenic route over glyders and enjoyed the afternoon then on tryfan met some mates climbing east side and came down with them. had a cracking day out and learnt a lot on route for a return bout. thought i may have said hi to you on elider fawr we was coming out of the shelter as you three were going in but wasnt sure and was hard to talk with wind up there. dont know wether the wind or the heat was the hardest toll but veiws amazing and we enjoyed a grand day in the hills , what more could we want :thumbup:

Put it down as a 'recce' then? - But still an awesome day to be in the mountains, as you say.

We were on the top of Elidir Fawr at about 9:30am, and we had it to ourselves having moved past several groups on the way up.
    I think the wind was at its strongest up there, it was not a place to linger.

A report of our day is here:
    http://www.walkingforum.co.uk/index.php?topic=19635.0

I did the 3000s at the weekend, running South to North starting on Crib Goch. Superb day out in perfect conditions! I have put up lots of photos here: http://runningontrail.blogspot.co.uk...-15-peaks.html