Page 14 of 20 FirstFirst ... 41213141516 ... LastLast

Thread: Welsh 3000's

Re: Welsh 3000's

Did this outing last weekend, over 2 days mountain-marathon stylee with a wild camp at the lake above Devil's Kitchen. We started from Pen-y-Pass taking in Crib Goch first and the weather was truly awful until after we got back down to the 'Pass before heading up the interminable slog that it Elidir Fawr. We met the first finishers of the W1000M race on Snowdon in the freezing and wet conditions, wondering how they'd got round so quick - until we found out the race'd been shortened.

The weather cheered up by the time of our midway camp, and we woke up on Sunday morning to a totally different picture to the first day - clear skies, sunshine, flat calm over the waters of the lake reflecting Glyder Fawr... Route-finding that day wasn't a problem We saw the whole of the Carnedds section in good visibility, wondering what'd happened to the torrents that were flowing down every hillside the day before - washing away whole villages & towns further down the valleys by the sounds of it :w00t:

As I wasn't with runners, we took 34 hours car-to-car including 13 hours at camp. It gave me new respect for the route and will serve as a perfect recce for next year when I attempt it as a run in one go.

Awesome route !!

Attachment 6158Attachment 6159Attachment 6160
    Hills - good for the soul...
    http://honestsstories.blogspot.co.uk

Had a pop at this last Saturday with Felix of this forum. Steady day out, excellent route and the Carneddeau to ourselves :thumbup: Got the train up Snowdon (how much:w00t to start at 9.55. Finished 9hrs 31 later. With support from Pete F and Jan we managed to get to the pub before they stopped serving food. Highlight of the running year so far.

Highlight of the running year getting to the pub on time or the day as a whole?

Sounds like you had a great day out. I am hoping to have a go in late summer with a few of my running pals.
    Never measure the height of a mountain until you reach the top, then you will see how low it is.

Quote Originally Posted by Cliveybaby View Post
    Highlight of the running year getting to the pub on time or the day as a whole?

Sounds like you had a great day out. I am hoping to have a go in late summer with a few of my running pals.
    Getting to the pub on time was an integral part of the day as a whole Enjoy your run, it is a fantastic route.

We did this yesterday. Top day out, beautiful weather and fabulous views. Breakfast in Pete's Eats, 9.00am train. Left Snowdon summit just after 10am, finished in 7hrs 45. Chuffed with that being 2hrs faster than the last time in 2003 :-)

Quote Originally Posted by paul4stones View Post
    We did this yesterday. Top day out, beautiful weather and fabulous views. Breakfast in Pete's Eats, 9.00am train. Left Snowdon summit just after 10am, finished in 7hrs 45. Chuffed with that being 2hrs faster than the last time in 2003 :-)
    Good work, sub 8hrs is certainly impressive!

Super Moderator
    I've been reading Ronald Turnbull's book and yesterday a club-mate (K1M) mentioned the Welsh 3000's. Probably a project for next spring now . . .
    Poacher turned game-keeper

It's a good day out. We did it a few weeks ago - read all about it here if you like.

Super Moderator
    Geoff, many thanks (and well done!)
    Poacher turned game-keeper

Enjoyed youre write-up Geoff, very inspiring. We had a go at it on 15th September, but just with the lads from work who are'nt runners, we was just walking it but we totally underestimated how tough it was. I'm the only runner amongst our party and didnt fancy tackling the Carnedds section on my tod 'cos everyomne else was bolloxed, so we all jacked it in once down from Tryfan. But I'll be back next year, now I know whats in store, but think I'll leave the lads from work back in Hull. Just need to get a couple of others from our club(East Hull Harriers)to join me, oh and I need to get more training done.