Page 15 of 20 FirstFirst ... 51314151617 ... LastLast

Thread: Welsh 3000's

Hi all - me, my brother and a friend are doing the 3000s this Friday (9th) starting at around 5:00am from pen-y-pass (going Crib Goch, CU, Snowdon way). Anyway who is free would be welcome to join!

Just a quick question - I've done Crib Goch before but it was 8 years ago so cant remember much - Is it better to traverse the pinnacles to the South side rather than 'go over' them, and if so is it easy to do that?

Regards

Quote Originally Posted by jimmynoodles View Post
    Hi all - me, my brother and a friend are doing the 3000s this Friday (9th) starting at around 5:00am from pen-y-pass (going Crib Goch, CU, Snowdon way). Anyway who is free would be welcome to join!

Just a quick question - I've done Crib Goch before but it was 8 years ago so cant remember much - Is it better to traverse the pinnacles to the South side rather than 'go over' them, and if so is it easy to do that?
    Regards
    Think I am right that you cannot traverse them. You have to keep to the tops. Or better still go up from the saddle at the top of the PYG track, to get Crib Goch back down to the saddle before getting Snowdon. Will that fit in with your route choice?

Hi Jimmy, I have done this many times. If you are taking Crib Goch from the Pen Y Pass side then traverse well below the pinnacles on the left side of the ridge, i.e overlooking Llyn Llydaw on the south side of the ridge. If you veer right or North you run a real risk of becoming crag fast....ask me how I know!
    The traverse at times runs some 50 metres below the ridge top and there are a couple of steep gullies to traverse but the path is fairly easy to follow. It brings you nicely onto the saddle on the west side of the pinnacles. Good luck!
    Simon Blease
    Monmouth

Quote Originally Posted by RaceTheSweeper View Post
    Think I am right that you cannot traverse them. You have to keep to the tops. Or better still go up from the saddle at the top of the PYG track, to get Crib Goch back down to the saddle before getting Snowdon. Will that fit in with your route choice?
    That's an option I guess but it would mean going out to bag Carnedd Ugain from the marker stone at the pyg track junction. I'm not bothered going over them (I did that before) but just wondered it theres a less exposed way (i.e. traverse them).

Quote Originally Posted by Wheeze View Post
    Hi Jimmy, I have done this many times. If you are taking Crib Goch from the Pen Y Pass side then traverse well below the pinnacles on the left side of the ridge, i.e overlooking Llyn Llydaw on the south side of the ridge. If you veer right or North you run a real risk of becoming crag fast....ask me how I know!
    The traverse at times runs some 50 metres below the ridge top and there are a couple of steep gullies to traverse but the path is fairly easy to follow. It brings you nicely onto the saddle on the west side of the pinnacles. Good luck!
    Thanks Wheeze - very helpful. Do you start dropping down the south side of the ridge as soon as you have reached the true summit of Crib Goch, or go further along the ridge and just traverse down as you approach the pinnacles?

About half way between CG and the start of the pinnacles you can see the fairly indistinct track running off on your left. At first, its fairly level running along a wide 'ledge' a few feet below the ridge top. Then it gets a bit gnarly as you reach the first of the two gullies. You have to be prepared to drop a fair way but you can pick out the route that others have taken before. The second gully has a fairly steep scramble out to a ledge you can see running around the flank of the rock mass that the pinnacles sit on.
    Its hard to describe but pretty obvious when you get there. I've soloed it several times.
    Simon Blease
    Monmouth

Quote Originally Posted by Wheeze View Post
    About half way between CG and the start of the pinnacles you can see the fairly indistinct track running off on your left. At first, its fairly level running along a wide 'ledge' a few feet below the ridge top. Then it gets a bit gnarly as you reach the first of the two gullies. You have to be prepared to drop a fair way but you can pick out the route that others have taken before. The second gully has a fairly steep scramble out to a ledge you can see running around the flank of the rock mass that the pinnacles sit on.
    Its hard to describe but pretty obvious when you get there. I've soloed it several times.
    Great - thanks for the advice!

Master
    I don't think dropping low saves time. probably quicker over the pinnacles. both ways involve scrambling on either airy ridges or up quite long gullies/ rock steps. It depends on what is your thing!

its not about time, its about exposure!
    Simon Blease
    Monmouth

So how did it go Jimmy?? Weather was not very kind was it?
    Simon Blease
    Monmouth