Page 3 of 20 FirstFirst 1234513 ... LastLast

Thread: Welsh 3000's

Re: Welsh 3000's

Train. Check
    Garmin. Check
    Pre-event sore throat and sniffle. Check.
    Innov-8. Check.
    Cycling mitts for rough rock protection. Check.

Poufters Fell Running Club Membership. Check.
    Large boot to kick Toffers arse. Check. Check!
    Simon Blease
    Monmouth

Quote Originally Posted by Wheeze View Post
    Train. Check
    Garmin. Check
    Innov-8. Check.

I despair

Train. Check
    Garmin. Check
    Innov-8. Check.

Large boot to kick Toffers arse. Check. Check!

Ye gods, I'll have to disown him now if we cross on the hill :sneaky:.

Should be starting from PyP about 10 - 10.30 and reach llyn y cwn in 3 hours, will probably drop back down to Nant Peeris from there, unless the girls want to try Y Garn as well. Will keep our eyes peeled.
    Don't roll with a pig in poo. You get covered in poo and the pig likes it.

Hope the Wheeze is going ok. Very damp and claggy day up there, will have been fairly slow over the wet rocks and descants. We didn't see him and went through a little earlier than expected, dropping off Llyn Y Cwn about 12.30. Was still murky then but signs of the weather just starting to clear, so he might enjoy a better afternoon .

Sadly no, Mr Mole. The clag and the dampness played a major outcome in a bittersweet day. Bitter because I made a decision to bale out at Ogwen, sweet because the beauty of the internet delivered me a guardian angel just when I needed one.

Setting off from a bitterly cold Yr Wyddfa, things became 'exciting' coming off Ugain and rounding the Pinnacles. Pretty much zero viz and water streaming off the rocks made for slow progress. Hoping for better things coming back to Bwlch Goch, I took a nasty tumble half way down, smashing my watch and slicing open my thumb on the razor sharp rocks. Thank goodness for the cycling mitts as they prevented my hand being ripped open too. Top tip there from Mr Rod the Rally.

Anyway, I trotted into Nant Peris in a worsening mood, 10 mins down on schedule, sore hand and NO SIGN of the weather picking up. Was picking my way up the first bit of Elidir Fawr when I came upon a fellow in fell running attire leaning nonchalently on a gate. 'Are you Wheeze?' he asked and 'Do you mind if I tag along?'. Thus it came to pass that my guardian angel was delivered to me. An angel who lurks on these forums and knew I would be coming through. All I can say is that met a true gentleman of the fells, a Clwydian runner who is the genuine article and I am eternally grateful to him for his help and company over the next trying and vexing 3.5 hours. To say I could not have done it without him may be stretching the truth....but only just! And even he had some trouble with the nav on some parts.

So, to cut a long story short, I got to Ogwen in 5.20, pretty much on schedule but with no sign of the weather improving, very poor light and the prospect of doing the Carneddau, solo, tired, and in poor conditions. Knowing how tough the going had been as a pair, it did not take me long to make my mind up that discretion was the better part of valour and the challenge would have to wait for another time.

Now back in Llandudno, enjoying a beer in the late evening sunshine!!!!
    Simon Blease
    Monmouth

The great beauty of fell running, is that there are so many factors involved. When you start, you never know what the outcome of the run will be. Win some, lose some - I like that.
    Not a nice day, I took the two female mountain virgins (for want of a better description ) over the Glyders, today was probably not the best introduction to Snowdonia mountain running .

They did fine (and didn't cry), but sorry we couldn't wait for you, just wasn't an option. Looking on the bright side, I may be fit enough to join you next time .

Yup. Even though the main objective was not met, I had a 'grand day out'. Just the ticket after our disappointment at not being able to host a Midsummer Madness event this year.

Anyway, some notes for anyone else contemplating this great run.

1.When avoiding the Pinnacles, the route lies to the right. But there are 2 deep gullies to cross and you have to drop a fair way (100ft or so) below the ridge. A good path eventually reappears.
    2. Coming down Bwlch Goch, pass the lake on its right. Further down, a good track appears on the far side of the two streams.
    3. The route up Elidir is straightforward, the key being to strike uphill by crossing the little footbridge over the river. There is a clear path direct to the summit.
    4. In clag take a good bearing off both Elidir and Y Garn to ensure you keep to the main trail.
    5. After passing Llyn Y Cwn on the left, the path up Glyder Fawr forks in front of a big boulder. Keep left.
    6. In clag take great care on the traverse from Fawr to Fach. Just after Castell Y Gwynt you have to turn left over car sized boulders. It is very easy to drift too far right especially if you cannot see Castell (as we could'nt).
    7. It can be very difficult to find the gully to the right of Bristly Ridge. Take good bearings and stick with them. The route is about 100m right of the ridge but if you cannot see the ridge, its far from obvious where the re-entrant is.
    8. At the bwlch before Tryfan, go over the stile and then turn right to follow the wall. When you get to the base of Tryfan, keep left to avoid climbing a false summit. You can stay left for quite a long way.
    9. The entrance to the gully left off the summit of Tryfan is only 50m or so from Adam and Eve.
    Simon Blease
    Monmouth

Shame it didn't happen for you, but a good demonstration of the power of the Forum (feel the force!). Now back to running on a regular basis and have a week in scotland (Glen Affric) coming up to get some mountain fitness back so will be able to join you and Molehill next time out (I have an OMM entry and need some miles!) Are you running the Black Mountains race? Hope to be there.

Now off to try my own experiment on the powers of the Forum.

BW
    "You gotta put a little bit of ****ing fairy dust over the bastard"

I'll either be running Blacks or helping Puffing Billy with organisation.
    Would love to have a bigger Steam Bunny mass 3000 attempt. The more the merrier. I would say a sub 9 hour crossing is entirely achievable.
    Having given it some thought (I am going through the cross, disappointed phase of all failed adventurers at the moment), I would say a better route is to start V early at Pen Y Pass, go easy up to CG, take CU and YW, run down railway track as far as Clogwyn and then cut straight down to Nant Peris. Taking the train up to YW makes you start too late.
    Simon Blease
    Monmouth

Yup. Even though the main objective was not met, I had a 'grand day out'. Just the ticket after our disappointment at not being able to host a Midsummer Madness event this year.

Anyway, some notes for anyone else contemplating this great run.

1.When avoiding the Pinnacles, the route lies to the right. But there are 2 deep gullies to cross and you have to drop a fair way (100ft or so) below the ridge. A good path eventually reappears.
    2. Coming down Bwlch Goch, pass the lake on its right. Further down, a good track appears on the far side of the two streams.
    3. The route up Elidir is straightforward, the key being to strike uphill by crossing the little footbridge over the river. There is a clear path direct to the summit.
    4. In clag take a good bearing off both Elidir and Y Garn to ensure you keep to the main trail.
    5. After passing Llyn Y Cwn on the left, the path up Glyder Fawr forks in front of a big boulder. Keep left.
    6. In clag take great care on the traverse from Fawr to Fach. Just after Castell Y Gwynt you have to turn left over car sized boulders. It is very easy to drift too far right especially if you cannot see Castell (as we could'nt).
    7. It can be very difficult to find the gully to the right of Bristly Ridge. Take good bearings and stick with them. The route is about 100m right of the ridge but if you cannot see the ridge, its far from obvious where the re-entrant is.
    8. At the bwlch before Tryfan, go over the stile and then turn right to follow the wall. When you get to the base of Tryfan, keep left to avoid climbing a false summit. You can stay left for quite a long way.
    9. The entrance to the gully left off the summit of Tryfan is only 50m or so from Adam and Eve.
    I pass the lake after bwlch coch right at the outflow, but Es Tressider recently reccied it and took a more direct line, way out to the R. I always use my way with groups because its navigationally straight forwards.

Getting around the castell I head right under then keep going and then head up a slight nose on which a better path is found.

The descent gully off Glyder Fach is marked by a large cairn at the top of bristly ridge. You then swing to the right a bit but from that cairn its hard to go wrong. But last year I was chatting and missed one of the rocks and had to go back to the summit and start again ticking off the formations.

For a fast run across them you have to recognise the rock formations. Once you do it's actually pretty easy.

The routes on Glyder Fawr and Tryfan are spot on. You almost have to hold your nerve on the long left traverse on Tryfan, you want to climb earlier than you need to and then hit that false summit.

Still not done a fast run myself, took a mate over in 8.5 N>S early in the year so fancy a quick go, anything within 1 hr of Colins time would please me.