Page 4 of 20 FirstFirst ... 2345614 ... LastLast

Thread: Welsh 3000's

Re: Welsh 3000's

Anything within 2 hours of Colins time would be completely amazing to me! There were many times when I was picking my way along wondering just how on earth he (and his pacers) kept up such a blistering pace. Having dry underfoot conditions and the ability to see where you were going would have helped enormously, but even so, some bits of the route are incredibly rough. I think 8.5 hours is a very good reference. Anything under 8 is exceptionally good going.
    Simon Blease
    Monmouth

Quote Originally Posted by Wheeze View Post
    Thanks Llechan. Good point about the train. Just booked the 9 am train online. So that means I'll set off as soon as I get to summit...9.45 ish?
    Yeah, weather! Who knows? Just suck it and see but I shall be carrying enough kit to cope I hope. Have been on the Carneddau in pretty hairy conditions in the past. I'm just relaxed about it. What will be will be. Incidentally, what route off Tryfan/up Pen Yr Ole Wen were you planning? Is the route via Afon Lloer easy to follow?
    Hi Wheeze, bad luck with the weather. Sorry I didn't reply to the above before but I hadn't seen your message until now. I had planned to go off Tryfan by retracing my steps towards Bwlch Tryfan and working my way to Llyn Bochlwyd and then down to Idwal Cottage. I then planned to go up Pen yr Ole Wen by the steep main path from Idwal Cottage as I've never been up the route via Afon Lloer and didn't want to push my luck! However the weather put a stop to my plans like yours!

Which way did you go off Tryfan to Ogwen on your run?

With regards to your plan of starting from Pen y Pass next time instead of going on the train that would probably be the best plan as you could start earlier and take Crib Coch on your way up. The reason I went on the train for my attempt was because I know a few of the lads who works at the railway and was able to get a free ride on the service train which goes up earlier than the passenger carrying trains.

Hi Wheeze. Bad luck with the weather.

I'm planning on having a top to top go at this for my 33rd Birthday next month. I walked it car to car in 18hrs about 5 years ago but wasn't very fit at the time and wasn't doing any running. I've been doing loads of running in the last year but still have no idea what time I can do.

I know the Welsh Mountains quite well so not too worried about navigation but am gonna try and reccy a couple of sections to find the best line. Cheers for all the info on your route choice.

I was also planning to get the first train up for a 10am start but will only do this if the forecast is for clear sky all day. Don't want to get caught in the clag when its dark!

Llechan, I took the direct route down the west face of Tryfan. Go north from Adam an Eve, 50m turn left down a steep gully. A bit scrambly at the top but perfectly maneagable. Later on, the gully becomes sodden in the rain...its like running in cream cheese! Comes out by car parks at East end of Ogwen.
    Scodler, if you google Clogwyn to Nant peris route you can get good info on the way down. Essentially go down towards Nant before you go under the railway tunnel. Theres a scree run at the top followed by grassy runs all the way to nant. Cuts out the Ynys ettws to nant road leg. I shall do this next time.
    Simon Blease
    Monmouth

Llechan, I took the direct route down the west face of Tryfan. Go north from Adam an Eve, 50m turn left down a steep gully. A bit scrambly at the top but perfectly maneagable. Later on, the gully becomes sodden in the rain...its like running in cream cheese! Comes out by car parks at East end of Ogwen.
    Scodler, if you google Clogwyn to Nant peris route you can get good info on the way down. Essentially go down towards Nant before you go under the railway tunnel. Theres a scree run at the top followed by grassy runs all the way to nant. Cuts out the Ynys ettws to nant road leg. I shall do this next time.
    We use a route to the LHS of llechogg, down a small cwm. But the fastest peak to peak is certainly crib goch and back to the bwlch.

Tryfan looks complex but you naturally fall into the gully line, but one time I took a branch and ended up having to scramble across 20 yards. But due to the race its now eroded. TBH I'm not in favour of the race for that reason. Paddy runners and 3000ers don't hammer it down, the racers do and do a lot of damage compared to others.

I'd agree with you there Iain. Although coming down Bristly its pretty knackered, at least its just shattered rock. The mid stages of the Tryfan gully are a very unstable mix of crushed shale and mud and you leave horrible great scars as you come down when its wet. It was the only bit I did that I felt I was causing unnecessary damage.
    Simon Blease
    Monmouth

I'd agree with you there Iain. Although coming down Bristly its pretty knackered, at least its just shattered rock. The mid stages of the Tryfan gully are a very unstable mix of crushed shale and mud and you leave horrible great scars as you come down when its wet. It was the only bit I did that I felt I was causing unnecessary damage.
    Yeah certain hill sides can tolerate such races, Tryfan can't. I've been using that descent for a while and went down after the first race and it was a lot worse and worse again after the second race.

If I suggested it to Mike he'd rubbish that view but someone should.

All races and running cause erosion. The Foel Goch descent on Moel Eilio is now getting worse, but 1000's use that each year where as tens use the tryfan descent.

The North to South is nice because you can take all the scrambles in, that way you don't really feel the climbs. We did it 8.5 peak to peak taking in the North Ridge, but missed out Bristly because we started late. That was with a guy from Lincolnshire so you should get 8 no problem :-)

Quote Originally Posted by Llechan Wlyb View Post
    ... I've never been up the route via Afon Lloer and didn't want to push my luck!
    It's an obvious path all the way up to the top of Pen yr Ole Wen these days (see the satellite view on Google maps); I'm sure it wasn't so obvious when I was a kid!

Rhys

Quote Originally Posted by Rhys View Post
    It's an obvious path all the way up to the top of Pen yr Ole Wen these days (see the satellite view on Google maps); I'm sure it wasn't so obvious when I was a kid!

Rhys
    When EsT checked it out he found the Ogwen Cottage route and the South ridge faster than the Cwm Lloer route. Cwm Lloer is the nicer route, also has water, and it also guides you right onto the summit, so is navigationally straight forwards.

OK, so one year on and I'm ready to go again. Will probably look for a window in August as last year. Anyone wanna play? Moley? Boy Wonder??
    Simon Blease
    Monmouth