Page 9 of 20 FirstFirst ... 789101119 ... LastLast

Thread: Welsh 3000's

Re: Welsh 3000's

Weather permitting I'm planning to attempt the 3000 on Thursday. Solo and no support so thinking of starting at Pen y Pass, nipping up the Glyders and Tryfan then down to the valley and doing the Carnedd range. Want to these early on as its the section I'm not familiar with, so better to do it while I'm reasonably fresh.
    Then I'll do Y Garn and Elidir and down to Nant Peris. Crawl up to to Clogwyn and tourist path up Snowdon and then finish on the ridge to Crib Goch.

Can't think of much better way to do it unsupported ?

Umm, thats a bit bonkers! Its a hell of a long way back from Foel Fras! In fact I doubt you would do all that in day. My plan (for when I finally complete the bl**dy thing!) is to catch the bus from Aber back to Bangor and then bus/cab to Llanberis.
    Simon Blease
    Monmouth

Master

Quote Originally Posted by Wheeze View Post
    Umm, thats a bit bonkers! Its a hell of a long way back from Foel Fras! In fact I doubt you would do all that in day. My plan (for when I finally complete the bl**dy thing!) is to catch the bus from Aber back to Bangor and then bus/cab to Llanberis.
    Or Wheeze, you can go from Foel Fras back down to Bethesda just as easily and probably have a better bus service to llanberis available?

Quote Originally Posted by Wheeze View Post
    Maybe a bit bonkers but possible. Reckon its about 35 miles ?

Planning now to park near Glen Dena and do the Carnedd section first.

Any idea if theres an easyish way back from Foel Fras ? i.e one that avoids going back over any of the peaks

Quote Originally Posted by Will.Race View Post
    Maybe a bit bonkers but possible. Reckon its about 35 miles ?

Planning now to park near Glen Dena and do the Carnedd section first.

Any idea if theres an easyish way back from Foel Fras ? i.e one that avoids going back over any of the peaks
    It couldn't be much easier getting from Foel Fras back to Glan Dena, there is less than 300m of ascent (assuming you have dealt with Yr Elen on the way out to Foel Fras).
    Get to the broad ridge above the Black Ladders and descend to Cwm Lloer (pathless but unchallenging), then straight down the side of the stream to the A5.

I advise from a mountain walker's perspective.

Quote Originally Posted by Joester View Post
    It couldn't be much easier getting from Foel Fras back to Glan Dena, there is less than 300m of ascent (assuming you have dealt with Yr Elen on the way out to Foel Fras).
    Get to the broad ridge above the Black Ladders and descend to Cwm Lloer (pathless but unchallenging), then straight down the side of the stream to the A5.

I advise from a mountain walker's perspective.
    Thanks Joester. Yes I'll be doing Yr Elen on the way out.

Just weighing up whether to do the Carnedd section first or last. Ideally I want clear weather for the Carnedd bit as its the one part of the route I haven't done

The only other bit that concerns me is Crib Goch. Mate an I attempted this a few weeks ago climbing off the Pyg track at Bwlch y Moch. Got half way and came to a vertical rock face ( am not the greatest on steep rock ) and couldn't see any way up. It was pretty dark though as we'd started from Pen y pass at 4:30
    Last edited by Will.Race; 14-09-2011 at 06:29 PM.

Following a 'path of least resistance' from Bwlch y Moch (in the light you can see where many others have been), you will reach a very short section about 1/2 way up that is almost vertical, but it is a single, easy move and you're up it and straight back onto simple 'hands and feet' scrambling.
    The exposure of the ridge can be unsettling if you aren't used to such things.

Make sure you get CG done with at least partial daylight around, and I would strongly advise recceing it so you know exacly what is in store.

The pinnacles at the end of the ridge can be a bit of a puzzle if you haven't negotiated them before, and once you're done with all that you've got Garnedd Ugain to scramble up as well - and the first bit of that can look very steep and intimidating in the clag (and I suppose in failing light too), but is actually very easy and entertaining scrambling.

Keep your wits about you on your recce and make sure you notice the exact way in which you negotiate each obstacle.
    That sounds like an odd thing to say, but the adrenelin rush you will get from crossing the ridge for the first time will mean that the pinnacles (etc) go by in a flash and you won't be able to remember much about it afterwards. Keep calm and make sure everything is commited to memory as you make your way over.

Quote Originally Posted by Joester View Post
    Following a 'path of least resistance' from Bwlch y Moch (in the light you can see where many others have been), you will reach a very short section about 1/2 way up that is almost vertical, but it is a single, easy move and you're up it and straight back onto simple 'hands and feet' scrambling.
    The exposure of the ridge can be unsettling if you aren't used to such things.

Make sure you get CG done with at least partial daylight around, and I would strongly advise recceing it so you know exacly what is in store.

The pinnacles at the end of the ridge can be a bit of a puzzle if you haven't negotiated them before, and once you're done with all that you've got Garnedd Ugain to scramble up as well - and the first bit of that can look very steep and intimidating in the clag (and I suppose in failing light too), but is actually very easy and entertaining scrambling.

Keep your wits about you on your recce and make sure you notice the exact way in which you negotiate each obstacle.
    That sounds like an odd thing to say, but the adrenelin rush you will get from crossing the ridge for the first time will mean that the pinnacles (etc) go by in a flash and you won't be able to remember much about it afterwards. Keep calm and make sure everything is commited to memory as you make your way over.
    The recce was a couple of weeks ago. We did the Snowdon sector without Crib Goch and then all the peaks from Elidir fawr to Tryfan. Tomorrow is a full solo attempt.

I'll be on CG in daylight whether I do it first or last. Plan is to start around 6:00 am and finish 10-12 hours later.

Thanks for the advice. Will let you know how it goes.

Quote Originally Posted by Corniceman View Post
    Or Wheeze, you can go from Foel Fras back down to Bethesda just as easily and probably have a better bus service to llanberis available?
    How dim am I? Never really thought of that, just looked for quickest way off the hill but I suspect it,s not much longer to Bethesda than Aber. Thats a great tip and makes a true solo attempt much more reasonable.
    Simon Blease
    Monmouth

Hadn't thought about public transport but will do for future attempts.

My solo route turned out to be far too ambitous for someone of my reasonable but not great fitness level.

6:00 am am start. Carnedd section covered in fog so from Glan Dena I scrambled up Tryfan. Recent rain made the boulders pretty tricky so by the time I got to the bottom of the approach to the first Glyder I was already behind schedule. Glyders to Elidir Fawr was straightforward as the fog had cleared and the sun was out. Elidir descent was wet but got to nant Peris in good shape.
    Decided on the scramble up from NP to below Clogwyn, found this a lot easier up than down, and then tourist path up to Snowdon. Crib Goch ridge was a bit treachorous as the fog had returned. Took it slow though and got to Pen y Pass ok. Then the lack of fitness told and I cramped up climibng back over to Glan Dena. By the time I got back to the car I was struggling and the thought of 6 more climbs and then the trek back from Foel Fras to the car did not appeal. The thought of the bottles of cold cider in my fridge definitely did appeal.

Decent recce though and lessons learnt.

Hoepfully join someone else for a successful attempt next year ?