Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Ooh, me back!!!

Ooh, me back!!!

Hi all, After a few long walk/jog affairs, I've noticed a slight pain in my left knee, mostly when running downhill, and also a pain in my lower back, on the right;
    Could this be my back getting all out of shape as my body compensates for the knee pain? I'm hoping so, 'cos if it's 'runner's knee', it's just a matter of strengthening my quads and a bit of core training, and the problem should right itself, yeah..?

Senior Member Usually at the back's Avatar

Re: Ooh, me back!!!

I need some advice on back pain, running down Moel Siabod seems to have caused the problem, this last week I have tried everything from gentle jogging, swimming, cycling, pain killers, even tried resting it but that seemed to make matters worse

Some good advice / treatment suggestions here:

http://www.treatyourownback.com/subscriber/

Quote Originally Posted by Usually at the back View Post
    I need some advice on back pain, running down Moel Siabod seems to have caused the problem, this last week I have tried everything from gentle jogging, swimming, cycling, pain killers, even tried resting it but that seemed to make matters worse
    I used to get a lot of back pain. I found when I was having an attack, walking was the only comfortable exercise. I'm sure you're right, resting is not helpful (unless you are totally exhausted - tiredness does make pain worse). I suggest you get your posture assessed by a really good physio - my bad posture has turned out to be at the root of a lot of my knee/foot pains. What has made my back virtually pain free long term is appropriate weight training - but again you need good advice as to which exercises will be helpful and safe for you. I do assisted pullups, lat pulldowns, static rows and back extensions (on the floor, not on a contraption). But it's important to balance these with chest and core exercises.

When the back is painful, sometimes lying on one's back on the floor, huggng both knees to the chest and rocking gently from side to side is soothing. Heat is soothing and ice is a great anaesthetic - you can roll a wheat bag heated in the microwave or a gel pack from the freezer in a long scarf and tie either round your waist under your clothes and just carry on with life. Or tuck either behind you when sitting.
    Begin afresh, afresh, afresh.

Senior Member Usually at the back's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by Alexandra View Post
    I used to get a lot of back pain. I found when I was having an attack, walking was the only comfortable exercise. I'm sure you're right, resting is not helpful (unless you are totally exhausted - tiredness does make pain worse). I suggest you get your posture assessed by a really good physio - my bad posture has turned out to be at the root of a lot of my knee/foot pains. What has made my back virtually pain free long term is appropriate weight training - but again you need good advice as to which exercises will be helpful and safe for you. I do assisted pullups, lat pulldowns, static rows and back extensions (on the floor, not on a contraption). But it's important to balance these with chest and core exercises.

When the back is painful, sometimes lying on one's back on the floor, huggng both knees to the chest and rocking gently from side to side is soothing. Heat is soothing and ice is a great anaesthetic - you can roll a wheat bag heated in the microwave or a gel pack from the freezer in a long scarf and tie either round your waist under your clothes and just carry on with life. Or tuck either behind you when sitting.
    Thanks, I will be looking at all those options, I was wondering how to walk round with an ice pack, I'll dig out a long scarf now and give it a go

I find climbing is fantastic when my back goes, failing that, hanging from a door. Aaahhhh.....
    Tao begets one. One begets two. Two begets all things.

I have found that resting doesn't help, too. Sitting for any length of time makes it worse when you eventually have to stand up, but moving about isn't too bad.
    With that in mind, would you stop running for a bit, or is it ok to do short, easy runs?
    I don't want to lose all my fitness, and I'm doing weights and stretching at the moment to put it right, so hopefully a lay-off isn't necessary.

Quote Originally Posted by Usually at the back View Post
    Thanks, I will be looking at all those options, I was wondering how to walk round with an ice pack, I'll dig out a long scarf now and give it a go
    I use a very thin lawn scarf so as not to muffle the heat or cold too much. I keep meaning to sew long strips of fabric to the ends of my wheat bag to avoid having to mess around with the scarf. Incidentally, the wheat bag against the small of the back is a great way to warm up if you have got chilled eg after running in winter.

Quote Originally Posted by William Clough View Post
    Good post Alexandra.Sounds like you've got Sciatica pb.
    What does the pb stand for, please?

Quote Originally Posted by Alexandra View Post
    What does the pb stand for, please?
    Plodding bear?