Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast

Thread: Ramsay Round 2010

Re: Ramsay Round 2010

Quote Originally Posted by ydt View Post
    Bill, take note of the Sgurr Eilde Mor descent along the NE ridge to Luibeilt. I went up that way in my cw round and now fancy a second solo completion ccw (probably next year). The ridge is much better than the dreaded track and steep slope.
    Yiannis
    I don't think I'll have time to check it out and it'll be at night
    Is it just tussocky or are there ditches as well?
    I know the ridge itself is great but never been up from that side
    Bill

So, the walk-in support is now extended to Luibelt?? Might be as well going in from the Glen Nevis road head??:thumbup:

That ground on the lead up to the ridge looks like it could be rough. I think the longer route staying on the good track longer; will more than make up for the subsequent steep ascent. The ruins are also a much easier support point. Not an issue for you on a solo though Yiannis. I suspect running down that way CCW would be a good option on a solo CCW round. Not on a supported CW round (Bill and Caz, Chris?) though.
    Lancslad

Quote Originally Posted by Baggins View Post
    Good write up here of Pete's Ramsay Round
    Another report (from a supporter's perspective) by Gav now up at http://gavsultras.blogspot.com/2010/...e-does-it.html (not my title!).

Also, yes, Charlie thinks these are the first completions of 2010, so that puts us at 56 to 59 as well as 9 to 12 anti-clockwise (first that way since John Fleetwood in 2003)!

Re. Sgurr Eilde Mor, the top part of that NE ridge (down to where we turned east) is fantastically fast and runnable, then the lower slopes towards Luibeilt a bit bumpier and wetter but still very good going. Anti-clockwise (where a direct descent to Locheilt Lodge would be purgatory) there's absolutely no contest, but think I'd probably join Yiannis in choosing it clockwise too.

PS (@Baggins), think you might recognise condensed versions of some of your annotations to alternative routes on the map that Gav's got up (which is an early draft of our team map)!
    Last edited by petestack; 27-07-2010 at 04:53 PM. Reason: Added postscript.

I know exactly what Gav means about not looking after yourself while supporting

Sgurr Eilde Mor, the top part of that NE ridge (down to where we turned east) is fantastically fast and runnable, then the lower slopes towards Luibeilt a bit bumpier and wetter but still very good going. Anti-clockwise (where a direct descent to Locheilt Lodge would be purgatory) there's absolutely no contest, but think I'd probably join Yiannis in choosing it clockwise too.
    Could you send me your route over that section (or recommended route for ascent) so I could look at it in more detail.
    I'd be heading for the bridge over the track at 265 687 as I'd be following the line of the old fence.
    Bill

Hi Bill, just emailed you, so hope my maps don't choke up your inbox (any problems, let me know and I'll stick them somewhere for you to download)...

Think you'll find the bridge you want is at 265 677, however!

Cheers
    P

Quote Originally Posted by petestack View Post
    Think you'll find the bridge you want is at 265 677, however!

Cheers
    P
    Thanks Pete

I was using an online map and couldn't zoom in
    Bill

Well done to all of you 56 to 59. Great result.
    Bill I have emailed you some info re: direct ascent. If I was to do it again cw I would still go the same way. The support team need a bit more exercise and coming up from Glen Nevis is so scenic! Besides, they can stay in the bothy and later move on to the path before Stob Ban and offer more support.
    Yiannis

Bill I have emailed you some info re: direct ascent. If I was to do it again cw I would still go the same way. The support team need a bit more exercise and coming up from Glen Nevis is so scenic! Besides, they can stay in the bothy and later move on to the path before Stob Ban and offer more support.
    Yiannis
    Task Master! I'll probably end up buying a MSR Pocket Rocket if we need to prepare 2 lots of food in Meanach Bothy; doubt that Wynnie will be up for the walk-in!!

Yiannis
    Pete and Yiannis,
    Please can you email that map and info to me as well: Bill at cvfr.co.uk
    Anne and I are hoping for an injury free spell for 2011...
    Thanks, Bill
    "And the winds blow and the sky looks cool / So I make my home in the clouds"