Page 3 of 3 FirstFirst 123

Thread: Ramsay Round 2010

Re: Ramsay Round 2010

Quote Originally Posted by BillJ View Post
    Please can you email that map and info to me as well: Bill at cvfr.co.uk
    Done, and hope it helps!

P

[QUOTE=wheezing donkey;351027[I]]......"doubt that Wynnie will be up for the walk-in!!"[/[/I]QUOTE]

Ian, I dare you to suggest that to her!
    Yiannis

[QUOTE=ydt;351031]
    Quote Originally Posted by wheezing donkey;351027[I
    ]......"doubt that Wynnie will be up for the walk-in!!"[/[/I]QUOTE]

Ian, I dare you to suggest that to her!
    Yiannis
    Not without a tin-hat and bullet-proof vest!!

I just completed a Ramsay round in a short weather window on the 24th/25th August. I went solo clockwise with a stash of food and headtorch left in a mouse and boar resistant tin at Fersit. I followed a version of Nicky Spinks' 22.30 schedule, which I hit pretty much spot on in the daylight hours. There was a bit of a hiccough coming down to Fersit, however, when I discovered that I had grossly overestimated daylight times, and instead of dropping down via the pillar, I had to make an emergency direct descent in the dark from the bottom of Meall Cian Dearg to the track at 342764 which I could just make out in the dusk. This was not a good route, not least because of the cliffs in the way!

I lost an hour in the dark, mainly trying to find a decent line up Sgriodain, which was in moon shadow, and Sgurr Eilde Mor, where I followed the direct line, but found the moor to the ridge soul destroying, with complex navigation, deep heather and false summits. The night was cold, with a blustery NW wind, and although there was a full moon, it was mainly in cloud. It was misty on Sgriodain and the awkward rocky knolls, but cleared for the descent off Chno Dearg. Beinn na Lap was cloud covered, and surprisingly hard to get off. I certainly missed the fastest lines.

Water for drinking was not a problem, but I had a struggle crossing the Abhainn Rath, and ended up jumping a narrowish channel at 273681, into water that I could see the bottom of with my head torch. It turned out to be waist deep, but gave me access to a shingle bank where I could cross. All very thought provoking at that time of the morning. Having heard the waterfalls further down the river I was concerned that I wouldn't be able to cross at all. The path down the river was very wet and hard going, but I suspect that is always the case.

The Mamores were uneventful, with some nice weather and decent visibility. I lost a bit of time, but wasn't brave enough to try the Devil's ridge shortcut, mainly because I thought the steep descent would destroy what was left of my legs. I got to Mullach nan Coireann at 12.19, so felt confident for a gentle finish, only to discover that forestry work had closed the normal access, so rather than risk being turned back I followed the horribly steep descent down to the East from the fence corner at 132671, and through the bogs to the track, where a steady trot brought me home for a 23.51 finish. I religiously took splits all the way round, only to discover that the first 18 lap times have disappeared from my watch.

I thoroughly enjoyed the trip, although the sleepmonsters were a bit weird. I started to imagine people on the hills from Binnein Beag onwards, and by the end my eating and drinking selves had become separate from myself: the drinking "me" was called John. With hindsight the promise of a full moon was barely enough to make up for the extended hours of darkness, and I was very glad to have recce'd the Treig munros. Aonach Beag, Sgurr Eilde Mor and Binnean Beag were new hills for me, so that was nice, too.

Mark Higginbottom

well done to keep going given your self reliance and les than perfect conditions. sounds like a memorable day out

Quote Originally Posted by dmhigg View Post
    I just completed a Ramsay round in a short weather window on the 24th/25th August. I went solo clockwise with a stash of food and headtorch left in a mouse and boar resistant tin at Fersit. I followed a version of Nicky Spinks' 22.30 schedule, which I hit pretty much spot on in the daylight hours. There was a bit of a hiccough coming down to Fersit, however, when I discovered that I had grossly overestimated daylight times, and instead of dropping down via the pillar, I had to make an emergency direct descent in the dark from the bottom of Meall Cian Dearg to the track at 342764 which I could just make out in the dusk. This was not a good route, not least because of the cliffs in the way!

I lost an hour in the dark, mainly trying to find a decent line up Sgriodain, which was in moon shadow, and Sgurr Eilde Mor, where I followed the direct line, but found the moor to the ridge soul destroying, with complex navigation, deep heather and false summits. The night was cold, with a blustery NW wind, and although there was a full moon, it was mainly in cloud. It was misty on Sgriodain and the awkward rocky knolls, but cleared for the descent off Chno Dearg. Beinn na Lap was cloud covered, and surprisingly hard to get off. I certainly missed the fastest lines.

Water for drinking was not a problem, but I had a struggle crossing the Abhainn Rath, and ended up jumping a narrowish channel at 273681, into water that I could see the bottom of with my head torch. It turned out to be waist deep, but gave me access to a shingle bank where I could cross. All very thought provoking at that time of the morning. Having heard the waterfalls further down the river I was concerned that I wouldn't be able to cross at all. The path down the river was very wet and hard going, but I suspect that is always the case.

The Mamores were uneventful, with some nice weather and decent visibility. I lost a bit of time, but wasn't brave enough to try the Devil's ridge shortcut, mainly because I thought the steep descent would destroy what was left of my legs. I got to Mullach nan Coireann at 12.19, so felt confident for a gentle finish, only to discover that forestry work had closed the normal access, so rather than risk being turned back I followed the horribly steep descent down to the East from the fence corner at 132671, and through the bogs to the track, where a steady trot brought me home for a 23.51 finish. I religiously took splits all the way round, only to discover that the first 18 lap times have disappeared from my watch.

I thoroughly enjoyed the trip, although the sleepmonsters were a bit weird. I started to imagine people on the hills from Binnein Beag onwards, and by the end my eating and drinking selves had become separate from myself: the drinking "me" was called John. With hindsight the promise of a full moon was barely enough to make up for the extended hours of darkness, and I was very glad to have recce'd the Treig munros. Aonach Beag, Sgurr Eilde Mor and Binnean Beag were new hills for me, so that was nice, too.

Mark Higginbottom

Well done Mark, great achievement.
    Yiannis
    PS: The ridge ascent to Sgurr Eilde Mor needs recceing beforehand. I much prefer it to the alternative. Supporting an attempt last w/e in a dark/rainy night we did it in 1:30.

Well done Mark

If you were doing Nicky's schedule you going well. esp carrying enough food for your self.

Quote Originally Posted by dmhigg View Post
    I just completed a Ramsay round
    Congrats, Mark!

boar resistant tin
    Nice 'in' joke.

It's so easy to be apparently cruising to 22 or 23 hours and then blow your margin like this (been there, done that, got the T-shirt!)...

only to discover that forestry work had closed the normal access
    Would have warned you if I'd known you were going for it!

Well done again
    P

Thanks for your kind words.

The sections from Aonach Mor to Sgurr Choinnich Mor, and Treig to Binnein Mor were the only ones I didn't know, so I was relying on a bit of good fortune (and tips gleaned from this forum). I've just worked out why I struggled to get a good compass bearing standing on the (metal) bridge before starting up Sgurr Eilde Mor!

If I do another of these, I'd like some company and Summer time.