Thread: wisdom teeth

Master and MR

wisdom teeth

info required

Ive never had a filling or toothache in my life apart from this year.

Right after the High Peak Marathon I had an infection in my sinusus. My left hand side of my face was agony and especially my upper teeth.
    Now it lasted about 3 weeks
    No problem until last week when I yet again had the same problem but only in my teeth and the last tooth is agony.

Went to dentist today and the good lady suggests taking out my wisdom tooth on the upper left.
    Has anyone had their wisdom teeth out.

How hard can it be ?
    Im in agony tonight and they have said 14th august. Ive got Borrowdale coming up.

Re: wisdom teeth

Daz, they can be a bugger - one wisdom tooth or another has plagued me for years. That's why many people have them out in their teens / 20s.

The problem is that they squeeze through and disrupt the gum and then infection occurs because food gets stuck in the crevices etc. They can be agony for a week, but then it goes away for a while, so it's tempting not to do anything about it.

Short-term fixes are gargling / rinsing with saltwater and taking ibuprofen. Antibiotics can be neccesary if the gum gets infected.

Long-term the solution is to have them out, but in older folk this can be a big op cos the roots etc have grown so big - i.e., not just a dentist job but a hospital job.

I had some wisdom teeth put in, but they rejected me
    Hills and Guinness!

Best of luck with em daz, sister ended up in hospital like ZHR mentioned, bloody painful job.
    Hills and Guinness!

Daz, did the dentist take x-rays to come to the extraction conclusion?, it seems decay is not the reason for it to come out so could a root canal be a possible solution?
    Should your gum be imflammed, the mouthwash "Corsdyl" is recommended (not the daily one but in a small 300ml brown bottle), its not for prolonged use but is very good for gum problems. Also should you go ahead with the extraction and it is still sore a few days later, you will have somthing called a dry socket-basically when the gum rubs on the socket bone inside the wound and a "gel" does not form to prevent it becoming sore-for this you will need antibiotics. Hope this helps and good luck (please dont worry about it as most extractions are straight forward and pop straight out-you will feel sore though!)

Master and MR

Quote Originally Posted by are we nearly there yet? View Post
    Daz, did the dentist take x-rays to come to the extraction conclusion?, it seems decay is not the reason for it to come out so could a root canal be a possible solution?
    Should your gum be imflammed, the mouthwash "Corsdyl" is recommended (not the daily one but in a small 300ml brown bottle), its not for prolonged use but is very good for gum problems. Also should you go ahead with the extraction and it is still sore a few days later, you will have somthing called a dry socket-basically when the gum rubs on the socket bone inside the wound and a "gel" does not form to prevent it becoming sore-for this you will need antibiotics. Hope this helps and good luck (please dont worry about it as most extractions are straight forward and pop straight out-you will feel sore though!)

Thanks for the info
    The good lady dentist has done a few x rays over the years and everything seems fine she says.
    I even thought about pulling it out myself last night. Its eased a bit this morning but then I have had 2 x Co somethingmol tablets.
    Its def more pronounced than the one on the other side. I wonder if I will get a discount at the dentist with my FRA card.

if the dentist is happy to whip it out then it's more or less like any other extraction, I'd get it done

otherwise it will just continue to cause you problems on and off - it might stop moving for six months or so, then it'll be back