Page 1 of 54 1231151 ... LastLast

Thread: UKA British Fell & Hill Relays

UKA British Fell & Hill Relays

Information now on Fife AC website
    Last edited by Swoop; 30-07-2010 at 09:31 AM.

Re: UKA British Fell & Hill Re

Not far from where the relays were last time in Scotland! I realise that sometimes options are limited but perhaps leg 4 could have been the reverse to leg 2! But then I suppose you might have some head on collisions!

Jez!......teddy bear race looks a bit scarey!

Quote Originally Posted by Swoop View Post
    Information now on Fife AC website
    What's the deal with teams/club?

Any limit?

also what are the categories, open, female, male Vets, no female vet category is there?

Not far from where the relays were last time in Scotland!
    I think there was a feeling that if the event was held north of the central belt it would reduce the number of people prepared to travel from south of the border. And I suspect if "we" hadn't volunteered, it would have back to Alva.

I realise that sometimes options are limited...
    Yes, they're very limited: from Falkland, you go up either East or West Lomond and the latter is too far away for an A-category short leg. Then one of routes to East was ruled out the landowner, who wouldn't give permission for us to use a particular path (fair play: they were happy for us to the tracks at the back of East). There would have been more route choice if we'd moved the event centre further west, to the foot of West Lomond, but then there would have big problems with getting to it, parking and so forth.

As you might have gathered, I'm on the organising committee. Questions, comments, feedback etc... let me know.

If anyone did go and recce the routes yesterday (i.e. after Dollar), hope you got round without too much difficulty.

Bill

Quote Originally Posted by bill View Post
    Questions, comments, feedback etc... let me know.
    Ah ... this explains why you happened to be leaning against a tree at the foot of Dollar Glen! You've emigrated!
    When do you think you will have the maps up on your website?
    Nowt ails a good bread eater!

Firstly, I do not know the area as I've never been.

I've been looking at the route descriptions and setting that against the OS map and I have some observations / questions an would be grateful if someone could clear them up.

On Leg 2/4 - The Track/Road Junction 241070 looks more like 241071 - I'm just checking as I'm "self taught" and therefore may be wrong if when you work to 3 places "070" then you round down.

On the same leg, there's no GR for CP3, just a passing mention. Is there a GR for this and any landmark for it?

Right-ho, back from some work travels and have some news.

Harveys will be producing the maps for the event. But the timetable had us getting the final maps in early October. Well, that's a bit too long to wait so I've attached a couple of maps (JPG's) based on the OS 1:25k that you'll have to make do with for now. Hope they're OK.

Note: there are discrepancies between the maps and the published route descriptions. This is because we've tweaked the routes a little, based on advice and testing. Though I've done the maps, not had the time to update the description. The principle changes are extra checkpoints, added mainly to avoid un-authorised short cuts.

The website will be updated with route maps and descriptions once we're happy that there won't be further changes to either, at least for a little while.

The Track/Road Junction 241070 looks more like 241071
    Hmm... measuring to the middle of the road with my ruler on the Explorer map I get a distance of just under 4mm between this junction and the 07 grid line. So the grid reference is 070, as you round down.

On the same leg, there's no GR for CP3, just a passing mention. Is there a GR for this and any landmark for it?
    Yes, agreed, the description was rather vague. This is one of the changes we've agreed in the last few days and the checkpoing been moved, to a nice, easily described and fairly easy-to-find feature. List of checkpoint locations as agreed on Monday...

Leg 1:-
    Start Field, bottom 236 071
    1 Gully, below crags 199 071
    2 Summit of West Lomond, west side 196 066
    3 Gate on Glen Vale track 185 061
    4 Path junction 185 051
    5 Summit of West Lomond, east side 197 065
    Finish Event field 242 075

Leg 2 & 4:-
    Start Event field 242 075
    1 Wall, path junction 242 065
    2 Summit of East Lomond, east side 244 061
    3 Car park, west end 251 057
    4 Boundary stone, on wall line 239 063
    5 Summit of East Lomond, west side 243 062
    Finish Event field 242 075

Note the extra check point on the way up East Lomond. Don't have to visit this on the descent. Up to you whether to risk cutting corners...

I've started uploading a few images of the Lomonds on Flickr to illustrate the routes. No guarantee how frequently the collection will be extended e.g. only got to take some photos on Sunday because I was too poorly to race at Glenshee.

Bill

Thanks Bill - clearer now - there's a few coming up for the Lomonds of Fife this weekend to have a run on the terrain so looking forward to it.

I'd still query your 4mm - are you measuring to the west junction (from Maspie Burn) or the east junction (as you enter the woods - which looks like the 4mm). The route description refers to the GR being at the west junction - although I can see now from the map exactly where we are.

Just back from a great weekend.

Stayed at Gallowhills Campsite in Kinross - 20 minutes from Falkland so perfect for the relays.

Saturday, reccied Leg 1 - bit of a toughy - especially the second climb of West Lomond. I can tell you the route up East Lomond for Legs 2&4 will test you out as well!

Today, me and my 4 clubmates took on the Lomonds of Fife Fell race. Great race - really testing. Getting over my back problem, this was perhaps a few weeks too early, but I made the (quite harsh) cut-off (by 3 mins!) which was 2 hours back at the road crossing coming off East Lomond and finished in 2:49 and bits.
    I had a 3 hour target - so happy with that. Not many behind me though as I think most of those got the chop.

I impressed myself so much that I'm thinking of doing Sedbergh next week

Thanks to the organisers for putting on a super event.