Page 17 of 27 FirstFirst ... 71516171819 ... LastLast

Thread: Cows bloody cows

Quote Originally Posted by GeoffB View Post
    It was Pennine's Simon Coldrick - so they must have been bloody quick cows. Anyway, this is the latest I have on his condition:-

Simon has broken lots of ribs (right hand side) and has some fluid leaking on to his lung. He is likely to have an operation today on that. He has been 'moo-ved' wards but is now in Northern General Hospital in Sheffield on HDU and will likely remain there for a couple of days. He has been 'sitting up and talking'.

All the best Simon.
    That sounds quite serious. Maybe they were spooked by the Thunder storm?

Whereabouts were the cows, was it the field at the top of Limb Valley just before Ringinglow?

All the best for a speedy recovery.

Yes, Will, top field before Houndkirk Road. When we got there the cows were making a right racket, and people were warning runners that there had been a bovine incident. My wife and daughter witnessed the attack and said it was very frightening; she was seriously concerned for Simon's welfare. Very glad to hear he is on the mend.

alwaysinjured
    Quote Originally Posted by richardbembridge View Post
    Yes, Will, top field before Houndkirk Road. When we got there the cows were making a right racket, and people were warning runners that there had been a bovine incident. My wife and daughter witnessed the attack and said it was very frightening; she was seriously concerned for Simon's welfare. Very glad to hear he is on the mend.

Out of curiosity, were there calves with the cows? that can make them more aggressive.

That's serious. He's lucky to escape with his life.

Get well soon, Simon.

Quote Originally Posted by alwaysinjured View Post
    Out of curiosity, were there calves with the cows? that can make them more aggressive.
    Indeed, I meant to mention this. I think the general public don't realise just how dangerous cows are when they have calves with them. Each year a handful of people are killed, and many are seriously injured, by cattle.

My colleague at work, for example, has a friend whose father was killed protecting his son from cattle - at this time of year, i.e. when they had calves with them.

I think that some form of awareness campaign is needed to warn people of the dangers. You should never place yourself between a cow and its calf.

Quote Originally Posted by Darth of The Dark Side View Post
    Trust you to wind them up Ian! I've been running through them for decades without a spot of bother
    Ah but we were running faster.... we tried to go round them rather than through them and I made calming noises but they still got excited.

Quote Originally Posted by IanDarkpeak View Post
    I made calming noises but they still got excited.
    like 'there there daisy, Ian's not going to hurt you'?

Quote Originally Posted by alwaysinjured View Post
    And it's not just the ones with calves. I was chased by 30-40 bullocks last week. They were probably more curious than aggressive but 40 x 1/2 ton of curisosity chasing after you is no laughing matter. There's no guarantee they can stop before bowling you over, even if they intend to. Thankfully I got a low fence between them and me and gained some distance before they rounded the hedge. But this was all in fields with public footpaths running through them. It's making running to work (through the same fields) a slightly nervy experience a the moment.

Quote Originally Posted by IanDarkpeak View Post
    Ah but we were running faster.... we tried to go round them rather than through them and I made calming noises but they still got excited.
    You make calming noises! That I (and I dare say most of DPFR) would love to hear! You haven't a calming noise in your whole body

I popped in to see Simon at about 2pm today, but he was in surgery. Latest news I have is that he's had plates inserted to support several broken ribs. Apparently he was butted / tossed then trampled. Poor lad, I hope he makes a full and speedy recovery.
    Last edited by Darth of The Dark Side; 01-05-2014 at 09:50 PM.
    Its better to have fought and lost, than not have fought at all.

Master
    Quote Originally Posted by Darth of The Dark Side View Post
    You make calming noises! That I (and I dare say most of DPFR) would love to hear! You haven't a calming noise in your whole body

I popped in to see Simon at about 2pm today, but he was in surgery. Latest news I have is that he's had plates inserted to support several broken ribs. Apparently he was butted / tossed then trampled. Poor lad, I hope he makes a full and speedy recovery.
    Poor chap - I hope he makes a good recovery. Having been chased by cattle twice whilst out running it is pretty frightening. Do we know what the farmer thinks about what has happened?