Page 2 of 27 FirstFirst 123412 ... LastLast

Thread: Cows bloody cows

Re: Cows bloody cows

Haven't herd that one before!

Pull the udder one.
    Tao begets one. One begets two. Two begets all things.

I normally just let the dog off the lead, keep him close and run through the field at normal speed. If any get close I wave my arms a lot and shout at them. Trying to slap them on the face or backside seems to work well too. It seems from reading the news reports that this is a bit of a cavalier approach. Perhaps I've just been lucky with the cows I've encountered. Is it worse with meat or dairy cows?

Near to Wincle a few years ago, a whole herd went feral and was attacking walkers and dogs. In the end they got police marksmen to shoot the lot of them!! (the cows, not the walkers)

I've met countless troublesome young bullocks when i'm fishing, they play a psychological game of who's harder than who and try to get you backing down and running. The only thing to do is to stand your ground and make lots of noise, sudden charges at them waving your arms are often enough to get the message accross. If you back down you're screwed. I've been charged through woods before by the same group on the same farm all for not taking the time to square up and make then back up first before walking off.

Females are very easy to deal with, with or without calves. Don't be aggressive and just try to usher them on with friendly but firm commands, sometimes they'll move on of their own accord once they've understood you're not a threat; this is my tact with big bulls near stiles, just wait for them to get comfortable with you but always identify an escape route.

IMHO horses are far worse than cows.
    Luke Appleyard (Wharfedale)- quick on the dissent

Quote Originally Posted by Grouse View Post
    Pull the udder one.
    Now then, let's not milk it.

Quote Originally Posted by ZootHornRollo View Post
    Now then, let's not milk it.
    Rubbish thread, load of bullocks (sorry...)

Having grown up on a farm I've never been too bothered by cows. Until recently ...

Last year I was pushed to the ground by a cow who was rather aggressively defending her calf - she actually went out of her way to attack me - fortunately once I was on the ground she backed off. See this thread - http://forum.fellrunner.org.uk/showt...ntful-run-cows

A few weeks ago I was checking our water supply tank in the field behind the house when one of the young heifers decided to push me around. I ended up against the barbed wire by the wall and received (still have) lacerations to my abdomen - severe enough to get medical attention anyway. I take a stick with me now and thwack any of them across the nose that come too close!
    Last edited by Bob; 02-08-2010 at 12:39 PM. Reason: Added link to previous thread
    Bob

http://bobwightman.co.uk/run/bob_graham.php

Without me you'd be one place nearer the back

I too have a total fear of cows and coming across a field of them on a run for me is my worst nightmare - last night my training route went through 3 fields of cows with calves and each field had a HUGE bull, I then had to make lengthy detours. I am told they can detect fear so this is why I never risk cutting through the middle of a herd without an exit strategy, the fear is palpable!

Just stare at the one if front, approach purposefully, then reach out to stroke it, then they will usually run away. They're always scared of me, though I am pretty big.
    Last edited by allterrain; 02-08-2010 at 12:43 PM.

its just the unpredictable nature of them i dont like,when something weighs a ton and there are 10-15 of em and you dont know what there gonna do thats when a tactical retreat is in order