View Poll Results: When do you start walking?

Voters
117. You may not vote on this poll
  • I don't walk I'm a fellrunner!

117 100.00%
Page 5 of 5 FirstFirst ... 345

Thread: Training for walking uphill?

Re: Training for walking uphil

did coniston as my first lakes race the other weekend, didn't try run up wetherlam, but i think i did push myself too hard (trying to walk past people/walk as fast as i possibly could) - not being used to pacing myself walking (also generally having one of those tired leg days).

this totally destroyed me for the rest of the race, i was never going to be amazing at the steepest bits of descent - but it was super frustrating where the path gets all amenable to be shuffling along - all that nice section, where instead of enjoying it, i just felt like i would just like to throw away my race number and pretend i wasn't even in the race!

so hoping to set off fairfield MUCH steadier, so as to be able to run a bit more on the flat/down.

I'm glad that Ratfink opened up this old thread - having been passed by a good chunk of runners fast walking up Nab Scar at Fairfield on Saturday, I've come to realise that I'm poor at power walking up very steep gradients. On the positive side I'm pretty good at running up runnable slopes but once it becomes too steep for that to be viable (or even possible) walking always lets me down.

I do have short stubby legs ..... which can't exactly help but, when walking, it seems to me different muscles come into play. Running up hill can give me a noticeable thigh burn but my thighs can run through that -oddly when walking my thighs don't burn nearly so much, if at all, so different muscles are obviously involved. I just need to work out which ones they are exactly

[QUOTE=I do have short stubby legs ..... which can't exactly help but, when walking, it seems to me different muscles come into play. Running up hill can give me a noticeable thigh burn but my thighs can run through that -oddly when walking my thighs don't burn nearly so much, if at all, so different muscles are obviously involved. I just need to work out which ones they are exactly [/QUOTE]

Let me know when you find out because as soon as hill makes walking the only option i get passed - my legs are stubby too. yet if i do a race where its runnable i past those very same people

Master

Quote Originally Posted by Stolly View Post
    I'm glad that Ratfink opened up this old thread - having been passed by a good chunk of runners fast walking up Nab Scar at Fairfield on Saturday, I've come to realise that I'm poor at power walking up very steep gradients. On the positive side I'm pretty good at running up runnable slopes but once it becomes too steep for that to be viable (or even possible) walking always lets me down.

I do have short stubby legs ..... which can't exactly help but, when walking, it seems to me different muscles come into play. Running up hill can give me a noticeable thigh burn but my thighs can run through that -oddly when walking my thighs don't burn nearly so much, if at all, so different muscles are obviously involved. I just need to work out which ones they are exactly
    Same muscles Stolly just a different range of movement, and speed of contraction.

Lets get debating.

Ive been towing a 4x4 tyre behind me around grizedale forest & also training by towing my 2 lads in their kettle cars around tarn hows. these are slightly different effort requirements as the tyre is a dead weight, and the lads free wheel down hill, making me sprint.

now i know this seems a bit odd but it is part of my training, and it does seem to help. i seem stronger on the longer runs, and am more inclined to run faster up steaper hill.
    let the good times roll.

did a little test tonite 600ft of accent ran first walked second 1min.30 quicker running
    got back ache walking and calves were pulling more! think this is coz of alot longer stride when walking

Quote Originally Posted by Woodzy View Post
    did a little test tonite 600ft of accent ran first walked second 1min.30 quicker running
    got back ache walking and calves were pulling more! think this is coz of alot longer stride when walking
    For a fairer test you need to do it again, this time walk 1st, run 2nd. And optimise technique for both! No over-striding.
    Begin afresh, afresh, afresh.

Quote Originally Posted by Stolly View Post
    I do have short stubby legs
    This is not the whole story. I have very long legs, but one reason I like running is that I am such a slow walker. And women in general have longer legs in proportion to their bodies than men, but they are not faster runners. In my case I suspect lack of flexibility is partly to blame, and at least that is something one can work on, unlike leg length.
    Begin afresh, afresh, afresh.

Quote Originally Posted by Alexandra View Post
    This is not the whole story. I have very long legs, but one reason I like running is that I am such a slow walker. And women in general have longer legs in proportion to their bodies than men, but they are not faster runners. In my case I suspect lack of flexibility is partly to blame, and at least that is something one can work on, unlike leg length.
    Oh I dont know. Purchase a pair of those INOV8 107300275's and im sure your leg length will soon improve.
    The Journey of 1000 miles starts with a single step