Page 1 of 4 123 ... LastLast

Thread: BG Questions

BG Questions

Hopefully a couple of quick simple questions :-)

Firstly, to ease the worries of a BG supporter:

Dunmail - is the layby where you park on the North or the South bound part of the split carriageway? From aerial photos it look like if you're coming from the North you just park on the left after the big cairn at the top.

Honister - Is there any problem with parking there in the late evening?

And then an odd question:

Grey Knotts & Great End - these appear to be the only summits with a disputed top, each have two cairns which no-one agrees which is the true summit as they're at almost exactly the same heights. Do people just visit one of the cairns on each?
    Last edited by Joe; 04-08-2010 at 03:23 PM. Reason: Great End not Gable

Re: BG Questions

Quote Originally Posted by Joe View Post
    Hopefully a couple of quick simple questions :-)

Firstly, to ease the worries of a BG supporter:

Dunmail - is the layby where you park on the North or the South bound part of the split carriageway? From aerial photos it look like if you're coming from the North you just park on the left after the big cairn at the top.

Honister - Is there any problem with parking there in the late evening?

And then an odd question:

Grey Knotts & Great Gable - these appear to be the only summits with a disputed top, each have two cairns which no-one agrees which is the true summit as they're at almost exactly the same heights. Do people just visit one of the cairns on each?
    Joe

Dunmail - The majority park on the left (north of the spilt) as if heading towards Keswick - just by the stile although some do park on the right hand side of the road (facing Grasmere direction)

Honister - the NT car park has been favoured as opposed to the mine especially in the afternoon/morning etc, there is a charge for the mine carpark in the day but we parked there post 6pm on a midnight start BG recently and even used the over head shelter at the shop/cafe entrance with no problem.

GK - GE - yes just one of each is visited.
    Last edited by emmilou; 04-08-2010 at 01:40 PM. Reason: meant to say Great End

Joe surely you mean Great End re the disputed summits as Great Gable's is obvious. The true summit is the first one you reach when taking the direct line from Esk Hause. The northwest cairn is exactly the same height but you don;t need to go there.

Grey Knotts' summit is slightly off route on top of, erm, a Grey Knott about 70 yards right (east) of the fence corner - it's also obvious.

Enjoy!!

Great End: The SE cairn is the OS summit of 910m. The NW cairn (more prominent) is the Harvey map summit. I do the first one in the BG and the second in the Joss Naylor.
    Yiannis

I'll visit just one cairn at each top then - the ones you give aren't universally agreed as the highest points, but not only are they the ones on Bob's site, they have the advantage of being the easiest ones to visit!

Where's the NT car park at Honister? I can't recall it! Last time I was there I parked in the Quarry car park, and before that was Borrowdale and I wasn't looking :-)

P.S. Yes - Great End obviously! I'm always saying the wrong thing if it starts with the same letters.

The NT carpark at Honister is next to the Youth Hostel, the entrance is to the Borrowdale side of the hostel.

Nethermost Pike is another top with confusing cairns - I spent a good while there with a GPS trying to determine which was higher. In the end I couldn't differentiate between them. Great End is the same. In fact cairns make it near impossible to accurately determine the highest point since the damn things cover it!!!!
    Bob

http://bobwightman.co.uk/run/bob_graham.php

Without me you'd be one place nearer the back

Quote Originally Posted by Bob View Post
    Nethermost Pike is another top with confusing cairns - I spent a good while there with a GPS trying to determine which was higher. In the end I couldn't differentiate between them. Great End is the same. In fact cairns make it near impossible to accurately determine the highest point since the damn things cover it!!!!
    Ah yes, Nethermost Pike as well. I'll pick a likely looking cairn for that! Normally I'd visit several cairns then stop and look at the view, but I think I'll skip that for a BG :-)

Quote Originally Posted by Joe View Post
    Ah yes, Nethermost Pike as well. I'll pick a likely looking cairn for that! Normally I'd visit several cairns then stop and look at the view, but I think I'll skip that for a BG :-)
    The right cairn in Nethermost Pike is the first one you come to from Helvellyn (891m) just after the grassy bit not the next one surrounded by boulders.
    ydt

Question: How many of the BGR tops are included on the routes of FRA Calendar listed races?
    "...as dry as the Atacama desert".

At a Guess:

Skiddaw (race of same name)
    Blencathra (race of same name)
    Helvellyn (3 counties tops)
    Fairfield (the horseshoe)
    Steel Fell
    Thunacar Knott (Langdale)
    Bowfell (Langdale)
    Scafell Pike (Wasdale and Borrowdale)
    Pillar (Wasdale and Ennerdale)
    Kirkfell (Ennerdale)
    Great Gable (Wasdale, Ennerdale, Borrowdale)
    Dale Head (Borrowdale and Anni Waltz)
    Hindscarth (Anni Waltz)
    Robinson (Anni Waltz)

14 by my reckoning.
    Bob

http://bobwightman.co.uk/run/bob_graham.php

Without me you'd be one place nearer the back