Thread: Organising a Fell Run

Organising a Fell Run

Our village is thinking of putting on a fell race to raise some funds. I know there are going to be lots of issues and but I thought I'd ask on here if anyone can point me in the right direction of who to approach. We have lots of willing volunteers, the route is 4.5mls with no RoW issues (all access land) and no road crossings.

It would be mid week eve in a summer month. Any help would be very much appreciated or do you think it's too much hassle and red tape to do?

Re: Organising a Fell Run

Quote Originally Posted by RaceTheSweeper View Post
    Our village is thinking of putting on a fell race to raise some funds. I know there are going to be lots of issues and but I thought I'd ask on here if anyone can point me in the right direction of who to approach. We have lots of willing volunteers, the route is 4.5mls with no RoW issues (all access land) and no road crossings.

It would be mid week eve in a summer month. Any help would be very much appreciated or do you think it's too much hassle and red tape to do?
    Just because it is access land it does not give you a right to use it. Speak to Bob B at the club, I can give you his contact details if you need them.

Chris K on the forum is also the man to talk to as the FRA access guru.

If I can help out give me a call.

Quote Originally Posted by IanDarkpeak View Post
    Just because it is access land it does not give you a right to use it. Speak to Bob B at the club, I can give you his contact details if you need them.

Chris K on the forum is also the man to talk to as the FRA access guru.

If I can help out give me a call.
    Thanks Ian, it's that sort of thing we didn't know about. MrRTS was the organiser of the Stanwick 10k road race for 5 years before we moved here and there were a million issues but Fell Racing is a whole different area. We are just putting out thoughts about it at the moment to see if it's something we have any hope of carrying off. Let me know the details of anyone I can talk to about it.
    Thanks

In my limited experience, it's relatively straightforward as long as you follow the helpful guidance already available from the FRA. The main things are venue, parking, and helpers/marshalls.

I look forward to running it next year perhaps.

Good luck.

My daughter is organising a fell race for the first time next month and has received excellent support from the FRA fixtures secretary and United Utilities who own most of the land. UU have even liaised with tenants and the estate with shooting rights. So there is lots of help out there.

Info and all necessary documentation is on the web page at FRA tab>organisers. As the event is in aid of the village you should get good support from the residents/farmers/landowners etc. It becomes a feature of village life which would be greatly missed. We raise about £500 most years for the Village Hall.
    It is good to avoid road crossings and indeed any length of road on the race. I had an issue of "road closure notices" from some barrack room lawyer last year(although at no time is the road "closed") and so have altered the course to keep road sections to an absolute minimum. The other advantage is that it uses less marshalls. Tea/beer and cakes in the Hall involves more people from the village and raises a lot of money.
    Hopefully no snow for our race - Calton FR Tuesday, 18th June.

Master

Quote Originally Posted by RaceTheSweeper View Post

You have also got two races very near to you and their RO's might help and advise too. They are Cressbrook Crawl on May 1th and Tideswell on June 28th. Both races run through or very near to Litton Mill.