Page 3 of 12 FirstFirst 12345 ... LastLast

Thread: 1.2km zip wire fleetwith pike

Senior Member No map, no compass's Avatar

Re: 1.2km zip wire fleetwith p

Quote Originally Posted by mudclawed View Post
    to be honest the sheer chutzpah and grim reaper opportunism of re-applying dressed up as a tribute is in itself a worthy memorial to the man himself.

who is in bad taste here, the family for reapplying (not 4 weeks later!!) and calling it the Zip Wier or IDP for questioning the wisdom? I know what I think..
    Actually, the application was submitted by Mark a few days before he died, but LDNPA decided to temporarily withdraw it when he died and have now made the application live again following Mark's funeral and discussion with the family and staff at the mine.

If you are going to slag off the dead and their families make sure you know what you are talking about!!!

It is also notable that all the comments on here are from people who live in Nottingham and Sheffield, so don't have to earn a living in the Lakes. It is hard to support a family tending daffodils!

Quote Originally Posted by No map, no compass View Post
    It is also notable that all the comments on here are from people who live in Nottingham and Sheffield, so don't have to earn a living in the Lakes. It is hard to support a family tending daffodils!
    Frankly, I think location of those posting is irrelevant. All views are equally important. I travel extensively for my work, I don't have the luxury of doing my job on my doorstep. I am not alone in this. I know that may sound harsh, but the lakes are an area of outstanding natural beauty. To my mind, they should be kept that way, and not spoilt at any cost for tourism just to make it easier to get local work.

Better close those car parks, campsites, fell races and pull up those tea shop signs then...

Quote Originally Posted by No map, no compass View Post
    Better close those car parks, campsites, fell races and pull up those tea shop signs then...
    That's rather silly. I suspect you know what I meant. It's a balancing act.

In any event, the main point of my post was to pick you up on trying to sideline the views of others, simply because they did not live 'locally'.

I had mixed feelings about the man himself, but he certainly believed in what he was doing and I feel for his family.

On a purely selfish level I don't want the zipwire to go ahead, mainly for the traffic and people that it will bring to my favourite corner of Cumbria rather than any specific visual intrusion (which I don't actually believe will be a problem). That said, I'm part of that same problem when I drive to Borrowdale to run or race, so who am I to judge what others do there?

I'd also like to return year on year to a Borrowdale that has a thriving community with jobs and prospects for local people, who are as much a part of Borrowdale as the landscape. It would be difficult to argue that the reopening of Honister Slate Mine and all that has come with it hasn't at least helped with this.

Whilst every one of us has at least a stake in the Lake District, and we're all entitled to our opinions I'd be very interested to hear some local views on the subject....

Quote Originally Posted by wjr View Post
    That's rather silly. I suspect you know what I meant. It's a balancing act.

In any event, the main point of my post was to pick you up on trying to sideline the views of others, simply because they did not live 'locally'.
    I know, but my point is equally valid. The idea that Honister looks like Disneyland is ridiculous. It's an active mine with a sign on the door saying it sells tea, cake and paperweights mainly. In comparison to the average ski resort which many of the objectors no doubt frequent quite happily it is insignificant. Both mining and ripping off tourists has been a Lakeland pastime for several hundred years.

@ no map, no compass

they weren't going to call it the Zip Weir before he died were they? And I live a lot nearer honnister than you.

I know we need jobs but more low paid tourist jobs might be a high price to pay for an ugly installation on top of a lovely hill. And yes Fleetwith is scarred by mines, so is coniston and Langdale etc but that's not an argument to repeat those mistakes.
    actually wearing sportiva's now

Quote Originally Posted by mudclawed View Post
    @ no map, no compass

they weren't going to call it the Zip Weir before he died were they? And I live a lot nearer honnister than you.

I know we need jobs but more low paid tourist jobs might be a high price to pay for an ugly installation on top of a lovely hill. And yes Fleetwith is scarred by mines, so is coniston and Langdale etc but that's not an argument to repeat those mistakes.

The only reason I posted on here is because I was staggered at your callousness. These are real people who have just very unexpectedly lost their partner/father, and you come along pretty much saying they have deliberately used the death of Mark to further their evil business plans to destroy the Lake District without any knowledge of the facts.

Anyone wanting to see what the application really involves might want to look here.

I noted with interest that The Times printed a very laudatory obituary.
    "...as dry as the Atacama desert".